• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bearkat4160

Bearkat4160

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

I had BLM layer in my Google Earth working for years and all of a sudden it does not work. And the funny thing is I do a search on "how to get BLM layers in Google Earth" and not much there like it was a few years ago, there was tons of stuff on how to get it in there. What is going on?

I downloaded Gold Atlas .kmz and it is useless also, seems as it got its info from Geocommunicator...seems the Gov is doing what it can to stop research on gold/mines/claims etc...

Any help on how to get it back? I had a URL link from GeoComm added to the layer overlay...useless now also.

Thanks,
Alan

#2 Mike Furness

Mike Furness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

Alan ... I n the news a couple nights ago I heard something along the line that the government was going to shut down the "internet" for awhile ... Now I assume they were talking about govt services or at least certain ones and not the whole internet. That may be the problem. I would try again over the weekend and see if you get the same results.

Mike F
Mike F

Mike Furness
Detector Training Instructor
Arizona Outback
To Schedule a Lesson: 928-777-0267
Email at: info@arizonaoutback.com
Novice and Advanced Training on Minelab PI and VLF Detectors geared to individuals and groups, Full Day (approx 6 hours) training on site at proven gold producing placer claims in the Northern Bradshaw's(Prescott, Dewey-Humboldt, Mayor area) or Rich Hill (Congress, Stanton) Arizona Gold Fields with your equipment or the free loan of ours. Other manufacturer's detector training available by special request. Drywashing and panning training available seasonally. Any gold you find during your instruction period is yours to keep! Please call Chris Gholson at AZO, 928-777-0267, for complete details and available dates.

#3 nvchris

nvchris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

You wont get any results.

The government has shut down key parts the service (LR2000).
It has crippled the home based research of current claim status.

http://www.geocommun...or.gov/GeoComm/
nvchris

detectoraid.com

Ponder, then dare!

#4 Dakota Slim

Dakota Slim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

What a crock of you know what.

Bureau of Land Management
GeoCommunicator Web Site Notice
February 24, 2011 updated May 13, 2011

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has determined the need to change the services and data provided from the GeoCommunicator website. Some services and information previously provided will no longer be hosted by GeoCommunicator, however, might still be obtained from the respective BLM State Offices governing the subject lands or area. Customers using GeoCommunicator streaming map services will also notice a reduction in data content effective Monday, May 23, 2011. You are encouraged to either visit the websites associated with the hyperlinks or to contact the appropriate data manager or administrator from the following list for further information or availability.

#5 Dakota Slim

Dakota Slim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

This is unreal. Check out the BLM's California web site and tell me what you see on their home page.

"President Obama's America's Great Outdoors Initiative supports locally-driven efforts to preserve and protect places that hold special historical and cultural meaning to communities across the country."

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en.html

#6 Adam

Adam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

View Postnvchris, on 24 February 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

You wont get any results.

The government has shut down key parts the service (LR2000).
It has crippled the home based research of current claim status.

http://www.geocommun...or.gov/GeoComm/

Ummmm, I just ran a geo index report off LR2000, and it is working just fine.

#7 clay

clay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

View PostBearkat4160, on 24 February 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

I had BLM layer in my Google Earth working for years and all of a sudden it does not work. And the funny thing is I do a search on "how to get BLM layers in Google Earth" and not much there like it was a few years ago, there was tons of stuff on how to get it in there. What is going on?

I downloaded Gold Atlas .kmz and it is useless also, seems as it got its info from Geocommunicator...seems the Gov is doing what it can to stop research on gold/mines/claims etc...

Any help on how to get it back? I had a URL link from GeoComm added to the layer overlay...useless now also.

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan,

I was using a backend server from the DOI's mapping contractor for the Gold Atlas. That has been blocked. I'm still looking for a replacement, if I find one I will put an updated Gold Atlas up at the same place you got the first one. You can check HERE or if you are subscribed to our newsletter I'll send out a notice when (or if) it's brought back online.

I really must caution against relying on these BLM layers. The data presented there is static and has not been updated since February 18th 2011. Even that date is misleading - most of that claims data was not updated for as much as five months earlier. When the geocommunicator claims layer was still being updated it was far behind schedule and very inaccurate,

We refer to the Google Earth mapping applications, including the Gold Atlas, as the one mile maps. That is about their best accuracy. Between Google's extremely non standard 900973 projection system and the really loose standards set you will be lucky to be within that mile. Move into 3D mode with Google Earth and accuracy goes down to about 12 miles! Add in the out of date BLM layers that were only designed to be accurate to within about 1/2 mile at best and you have a cartographer's nightmare.

I designed the the Gold Atlas for two reasons primarily. To be used as a rough guide to explore new areas for prospecting possibilities and to provide a free alternative to the pay to play applications like GoldMapsOnline that were charging outrageous prices for freely available public data. We still use the Gold Atlas for our general exploration.

There still seems to be a lot of confusion about just what the geocommunicator is. It specifically is NOT the LR2000. They are entirely different applications with very different goals. The geocommunicator is a mapping application and the LR2000 is a database server. They have never been connected in any way. The LR2000 never provided maps and the geocommunicator never had it's own database.

The most useful mapping functions of the geocommunicator are long gone and were never accurate, up to date or to be relied upon.
The LR2000 is alive and well and is one of the best and most complete public database servers ever conceived. It is a very useful tool for prospectors.

You can find the LR2000 HERE.

The LR2000 can be a bit daunting for the novice user so Ruby wrote an excellent tutorial with step by step directions with pictures and real life examples.
Ruby's tutorial can be found HERE.

I hope that helps.

MinerDiggins
Subscribe to the NewDiggins Newsletter

#8 nvchris

nvchris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

The Key part I was referring to was Geo's use of the LR2000 data.
Thats what crippled the plugins for Google earth, like prospectors power pack and gold atlas.
nvchris

detectoraid.com

Ponder, then dare!

#9 Bearkat4160

Bearkat4160

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

Thanks Clay for all that info! This is getting ridicules on our Gov keeping the mining information from us or making it extremely hard to find now, and it is funny how it coincides with the prices of gold going up. You think they would encourage us to go get it for people that have lost there jobs or need employment. Yeh; fantasy land right?

I like the Gold Atlas, unfortuantly I got it a bit late and have not seen it work to its full potential.

Here is the link below I used in the layer feature, which always allowed me to get BLM boundaries, and just that, in Google Earth:

http://206.16.47.174...ORMAT=image/png

Not really sure where it comes from, I found it years ago doing a Google search, and now doing same search cannot find anything like it or how do use it...like, all that info just disappeared.

Thanks for all the input...

Alan

View Postclay, on 24 February 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

Hi Alan,

I was using a backend server from the DOI's mapping contractor for the Gold Atlas. That has been blocked. I'm still looking for a replacement, if I find one I will put an updated Gold Atlas up at the same place you got the first one. You can check HERE or if you are subscribed to our newsletter I'll send out a notice when (or if) it's brought back online.

I really must caution against relying on these BLM layers. The data presented there is static and has not been updated since February 18th 2011. Even that date is misleading - most of that claims data was not updated for as much as five months earlier. When the geocommunicator claims layer was still being updated it was far behind schedule and very inaccurate,

We refer to the Google Earth mapping applications, including the Gold Atlas, as the one mile maps. That is about their best accuracy. Between Google's extremely non standard 900973 projection system and the really loose standards set you will be lucky to be within that mile. Move into 3D mode with Google Earth and accuracy goes down to about 12 miles! Add in the out of date BLM layers that were only designed to be accurate to within about 1/2 mile at best and you have a cartographer's nightmare.

I designed the the Gold Atlas for two reasons primarily. To be used as a rough guide to explore new areas for prospecting possibilities and to provide a free alternative to the pay to play applications like GoldMapsOnline that were charging outrageous prices for freely available public data. We still use the Gold Atlas for our general exploration.

There still seems to be a lot of confusion about just what the geocommunicator is. It specifically is NOT the LR2000. They are entirely different applications with very different goals. The geocommunicator is a mapping application and the LR2000 is a database server. They have never been connected in any way. The LR2000 never provided maps and the geocommunicator never had it's own database.

The most useful mapping functions of the geocommunicator are long gone and were never accurate, up to date or to be relied upon.
The LR2000 is alive and well and is one of the best and most complete public database servers ever conceived. It is a very useful tool for prospectors.

You can find the LR2000 HERE.

The LR2000 can be a bit daunting for the novice user so Ruby wrote an excellent tutorial with step by step directions with pictures and real life examples.
Ruby's tutorial can be found HERE.

I hope that helps.

MinerDiggins

#10 Grubstake1

Grubstake1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

I wouldn't trust a GPS too much, I saw on the evening news, that people are useing GPS jammers, they can get on ebay for $50.00 or maybe a lttle more. They claim that how Iran took our Drone. Grubstake

#11 clay

clay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

View Postnvchris, on 25 February 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

The Key part I was referring to was Geo's use of the LR2000 data.
Thats what crippled the plugins for Google earth, like prospectors power pack and gold atlas.

Actually Chris the geocommunicator function that queries the database still works through geocommunicator as well as it ever did. The data pulled by the geocommunicator does not come from the LR2000 database. It couldn't because the LR2000 is not spatially enabled and the geocommunicator queries by bounding box coordinates. The two are distant cousins but the geocommunicator does not rely on the LR2000.

If you try the Gold Atlas you will see that it returns geocommunicator data based on geographic location to this day even though the visual display of claims per quarter section has been disabled. The information returned is neither complete, accurate or up to date but that is no less than it ever was.

If others would like this function without using the Gold Atlas you can build your own layer with this address:
"http://www.metzgerwillard.us/plss/identify.aspx?"
You will need to build a query function and provide a window for it to display in then give it some display parameters.

Or even easier is to open Gold Atlas in Google Earth and just delete all the layers you don't want. Save it where you want and name it whatever you wish. Gold Atlas is truly Free. No need to sign up or restrictions on use so you might as well make it what you want it to be. However if you decide to charge for your version I will be there to offer the same thing for free. :P

MinerDiggins

#12 nvchris

nvchris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

? So why won't it display the checked boxes?
Attached File  Untitled.jpg   169.84K   8 downloads
nvchris

detectoraid.com

Ponder, then dare!

#13 clay

clay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

View Postnvchris, on 25 February 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

? So why won't it display the checked boxes?

Sorry Chris I guess my explanation was difficult to follow. Sometimes I think faster than I write. :blink:

The mapping server for the claims has been blocked just as your image shows. That was essentially a static image of some lines that represented the general location of claims over a year ago.

What I was saying still worked as well as ever was the "geocommunicator function that queries the database". This is the "identify" feature that you will still find on the geocommunicator. This is neither a mapping function nor is it a function of the LR2000. Below you will find an image of the result of the "GeoCommunicator Identify" return as it displays in Gold Atlas to this day. This is the function that I gave the link to in my post above.

Neither the mapping image that no longer works or the "GeoCommunicator Identify" shown below rely on the LR2000.

The LR2000 still works as it always has (actually better). The "GeoCommunicator Identify" works as it always has. Only the visual claims mapping functions and the mining claims information returns have been removed from the geocommunicator.

All the information that the geocommunicator had before and much more is still available on the LR2000.

The LR2000 is more up to date and more accurate than the geocommunicator ever was.

The LR2000 can not produce a map as it is not a mapping application. There are no visual mapping applications for claims available from the BLM or any other government agency.

All the google earth "plug ins" including GoldMapsOnline, Gold Atlas, Prospectors Power Pack and it's later version MinersCache, just displayed a copy of the last version of the geocommunicator map from February 2011.

I hope that is clearer than my last post. :D

MinerDiggins

Attached Files

#14 beatup

beatup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for helpful tips clay.