#1 Chris Gholson

Chris Gholson

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

I thought I’d share some of the photos from a quick trip Alyssa and I did over the weekend. We left Prescott and headed over to the White Mountains located in eastern Arizona not far from the New Mexico border. It had been several years since I was last in that country and it was even more beautiful than I remembered. There aren’t any nuggets in this area, but there are plenty of other kinds of “gold”.

The region is mountainous and covered almost entirely with spectacular pine and aspen forests which are teaming with wildlife. We saw elk, antelope, deer, skunk, and one evening a raccoon came scratching at our back door looking for hand-outs. tongue.gif The towering mountains and streams which crisscross through the canyons make it one of the most scenic places in the whole state. It would be a great place to live if a person didn’t mind the cold. A waitress told us that it can drop down to -25 degrees F in the winter! ph34r.gif Here’s a few pics from the trip…
ARIZONA OUTBACK
Your MINELAB Connection
N. American Distributor for Nugget Finder Coils
Tel: (928) 777-0267
Email: info@arizonaoutback.com
www.ArizonaOutback.com

#2 Aaron F

Aaron F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:26 PM

Howdy Chris,

I hope you had a good time in my backyard! I just returned to the White Mountains myself. The next time you get up this way, give me a buzz!

Aaron

#3 Chris Gholson

Chris Gholson

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

Hi Aaron,

I kept a look out for your truck as we drove through Alpine & Nutri, but didn't spot it in any driveway. We are definitely going to head back over after winter. I'll give you a buzz and maybe we can sneak away for a little fishing... smile.gif
ARIZONA OUTBACK
Your MINELAB Connection
N. American Distributor for Nugget Finder Coils
Tel: (928) 777-0267
Email: info@arizonaoutback.com
www.ArizonaOutback.com

#4 Lunk

Lunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:56 PM

Yo Chris!

Sounds like you kids had a great time...nice pix; though I can't quite decide if your little raccoon friend is real happy to see you or just plain rabid! blink.gif laugh.gif

- Lunk -
- Lunk -

ALL FOR GOLD AND GOLD FOR ALL

#5 ARIZONA GUIDE

ARIZONA GUIDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:13 PM

Chris we just spent a few days over also. We are there As many weekends as we can put in. We have been over there putting elk meat in the freezer. We had 4 elk tags this year. We put two bulls on the ground Down in the blue range with bows and will be north of that in a few more days to see if we can down a couple with rifles. ph34r.gif

#6 Overgaard

Overgaard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:55 PM

Chris, I am also glad you had a good time in our neck of the woods. I have been living in Overgaard for the last 8 years and love it. The tall Pines and Wildlife at our doorstep. The fruit trees do suffer!!!

How I found this area was from friends of mine who had bought a summer home. They invited my family and I up from Phoenix to visit. WE WERE HOOKED. We found a summer home of our own that next day and purchased it. Six months later we sold our home in the valley and moved into our summer home. When ever I go back to Phoenix with my wife, I would ask her if she would ever like to move back. rolleyes.gif And the answer would be NO WAY - WHY! (Of course she would love to have the shopping malls)

I have a short drive to Show Low to work at Summit Reg. Medical Center (previously Navapache Med. Center). I am a RN in the ICU. One stop sign and two stop lights. Look out unsure.gif for the elk, turkey, foxes on the way. Its a great drive before work in the morning.

I would like to invite you all to visit.

Paul

#7 Montana

Montana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:56 AM

Chris. My year isn't complete with out at least one camping trip to the white mountains. -----Bob

#8 Joe Kauffman

Joe Kauffman

Azarchery

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:43 AM

Paul,

My parents built their dream cabin home about 13 years ago in Forest Lakes and have been there full time for the past 8 years. They also purchased a beautiful place in Young on 10 acres about 2 years ago and have been working on it since. They mainly bought the Young house because after my dad sold his business 8 years ago he's been going nuts not having any major projects so this gives him something to "fix up". I think he's just about finished and has put the word out with Austin Haught, the rancher realtor in that area, that it's for sale. Forest Lakes/Heber areas are beautiful places and just one of the places that make Az so unique.

Chris, glad you guys had a good trip! That's a great place for a 3-4 day get-away if you can find a room available. We'll have to get Alyssa on to some high country trout next time you make the trip up. We could meet up with Richard in Show Low and have some fun on the lakes. See you this weekend!

Joe Kauffman
Arizona Outback - The Leading Prospecting Supply Outfitter

#9 fredmason

fredmason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:46 AM

Paul, were you up at Moore Creek with us the first year?

Beautiful area Chris....

A somewhat sillly question...how far, how long to get to Payson from that area. Also, how far and how long to get to decent nugget hunting areas from that area ( the white mountains)?I am still contemplating where "we" want to move when I retire...this area sounds interesting to me. Hunting, fishing, aspens...I can feel it.

Fred

#10 Joe Kauffman

Joe Kauffman

Azarchery

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:20 PM

Fred,

I know you posted the question to Chris, but I thought I'd chime in and help. From Payson to Springerville (which is right in between Greer where Chris was staying and Alpine) you can make it in about 2 to 2.5 hours depending on the season or weather. In those areas, you're in some of the best fishing and hunting areas in the state and have a diverse population of game animals including deer, elk, turkey, antelope, big horn sheep and others....but you'll have to drive a bit to get into the gold country. You can head south from there about 3 hours and be in the Clifton area and onto Globe, or you can head back west to Payson where there are some small deposits around there. But to get to the Bradshaws you'd have to go west from Payson another hour or so to Camp Verde and pick your gold field to head to from there.

Hope this helps!

Joe
Arizona Outback - The Leading Prospecting Supply Outfitter

#11 fredmason

fredmason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:48 PM

Thank you, Joe;
your help is appreciated. Any other opinions and information are welcome also.

thanks

fred

#12 kamikaze

kamikaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:06 PM

WOW! Beautiful country! All I've ever seen during my limited time in AZ has been deserts and cactus. Such a diverse climate...I guess I need to spend more time there...

#13 Montana

Montana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:37 PM

It is a weird State. With over 2 miles of elevation difference from the highest point to the lowest point , there is a climate for every taste. Too bad most of the gold seems to be in the nastiest of deserts. Prescott is a good compromise. Rarely if ever below zero and rarely over 100. and gold in almost every direction and at just about any elevation. You can pick the climate you want to detect in. The vegetation is a mix of mountain species and desert species. You can sit under a giant ponderosa pine and then pick the cactus stickers out of your butt. -----Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users