• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lance

Lance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:25 PM

I recall years ago reading an article about finding gold replacing carbon in some fosilized gold bugs in some lake sediments. I think it might have been Nevada. Probably too small to use a detector, but does anyone know this article or maybe have some more info on this? If samples could be collected I think one might be able to make micro mounts. Chris have you read anything along these lines? Lance in Santa Rosa, Ca

#2 Reno Chris

Reno Chris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

I have not heard anything about fossilized bugs laden with gold, but I do know of some petrified wood laden with gold in sedementary rocks in Nevada.

The gold in petrified wood is small and crystallized, and probably would be difficult to find with a metal detector. In the old days it was recovered by panning. The kind of stuff you'd want a Gold Bug II for - that would be your best shot at detecting it.

Chris

#3 Gary

Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:07 PM

[attachment=4585:attachment]Hi all,

The question and discussion of golden bugs does crop up now and again.
A good friend of mine told me about a nugget that he had found, and thought it was
indeed a fossil golden bug.

Later I did find for myself, what at first blush resembles a golden bug, complete with body,
and wings...

The left wing wing is complete, the opposing side wing tip is on the piece, but is folded underneath.
Kinda weirdly neat, wouldn't you say??? The nugget tips the scale at 5.2 grams.

It is amazing what weird shapes mother earth can come up with in gold.

It WAS found in an ancient lakebed.

Tell me what YOU think...

Gary
Once in a while, a person can go out and detect the find of a lifetime, while others learn the subtle language of their machines, and enjoy a lifetime of finds.

#4 Gus in Idaho

Gus in Idaho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Natural Gold!

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:36 AM

Gary,
That nugget is spectacular!!!
That nugget is worth some bucks...
Was that pryed from the RP ancient shale lake bed? No need to say if you dont want.
I found one there that looks like a spine or vertabrae. I will try to find it and snap a photo.
Gus-
Natural Gold Trader
www.NaturalGoldTrader.com
A web-site for Natural Gold collectors!

#5 rexb

rexb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

I've heard of ammonites fossilized and then replaced by pyrite - fools gold.

#6 El Dorado

El Dorado

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:39 AM

Yes bugs do come in gold, 18K as a matter of fact

#7 Lance

Lance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for your replies and posting pictures. I never thought of gold in petrified wood! (I would not mind having a small specimen for my collection). The fosilized gold bug sounds like it is for real especially coming out of a lake bed. Was it found detecting? The article I read decades ago was on gold replacing almost micro size insects/bugs in lake sediments. I agree Gus, I think the golden bug specimen would have exceptional value. Perhaps when he has time, Gus can post his own picture(s).

I think this may be leading to looking for some unique gold specimenns in places we may not have thought to look before, even when no gold mining history is present. What if in say volcanic regions and hot springs areas with nearby evaporative playas/lake beds where gold could be in weak solutions during wet weather and then drying weather and having at the same time a ready carbon source for replacement? Lance

#8 Gus in Idaho

Gus in Idaho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Natural Gold!

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:16 AM

Lance,
I appologize for it taking me so long to get this photo on your thread.
I have been pretty busy latley, and I managed to take this photo last night.
This picture did not turn out as well as I had hoped, but I think you can kind of see where it looks like the the vertabrae or backbone running down the length of the nugget.
Whether or not it truly is, I dont know.
I found this a few years ago at RP.
Gus-
[attachment=4636:attachment]
Natural Gold Trader
www.NaturalGoldTrader.com
A web-site for Natural Gold collectors!

#9 Bandana Don

Bandana Don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:02 AM

Morning ALL: Some years back Walter Lashley, founder of the American Society of Applied Technology, either told me during our many conversations or wrote about gold in foselized bugs from a dry lake bed. Walt lived in Silver City, New Mexico; and, I had the pleasure of serving as Vice President of the ASAT Board of Directors for several years. It may be that hidden away in my files I have some additional printed info on this subjest from Walt.

Can't do any searching today as I have a Doctor appointment in Prescott.

Kenny Lashley, youngest son of Walter, has most of Walts remaining material and if one were to contact Kenny or Mrs. Shelia Lashley maybe additional info could be obtained. Both Kenny andShelia live in Silver City, N.M.

Don

#10 Gary

Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:15 PM

Hi Gus,

That is a pretty cool find!

Maybe there is something to "gold fossilized bugs" after all...

Thanks for sharing!

Gary
Once in a while, a person can go out and detect the find of a lifetime, while others learn the subtle language of their machines, and enjoy a lifetime of finds.

#11 Lance

Lance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (Gary @ Nov 6 2007, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Gus,

That is a pretty cool find!

Maybe there is something to "gold fossilized bugs" after all...

Thanks for sharing!

Gary

#12 Bandana Don

Bandana Don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

Hi Lance and ALL: I finally had the time to dig around in my files and found the publication containing the article I mentioned. The title is: "Epigenic Gold In Dry Lake Beds" by Walter C. Lashley, the article was published in "CAPTURED in passing", chapter 7, pages 7 - 9, American Society for Applied Technology, Silver City, New Medico.

Sometimes Walt would publish his writings in both the Califonia Mining Journal and an ASAT bulletin or other type paper. When and if I can get my scanner working I'll try to copy the article and post it for you to read.

Chris you'd get a hoot out of Walt's broadside at "...two generations of geologists who refuse to recognize any argument that does not fit a "model" ... independent thinkers are becoming rare and lack the courage to swim against the tide...the mineral industry appears to have more than its share of this problem." smile.gif

If I can locate Kenny Ashley I will try to find out if he has additional copies of CAPTURED in passing, Chapter 7.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users