• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 **sixshooter**

**sixshooter**

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:16 PM

HELLLLLLP!!! I know I'm running a dinosaur.........and I'm sure the excitment and forum talk revolves around the new 4500, but if there is anyone that had, or still is using the GP 3000, please help out!!! Does anyone out there have optimum custom settings for the GP 3000? I'm running the stock 10" coil and just purchased the Coiltek 12X24 UFO. I will probably use the 12X24 most of the time. The ground I mostly hunt has "some" hot rocks and "some"mineralized ground, although not a lot. ANY AND ALL INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! THANKS!!!

#2 Nuggetslayer

Nuggetslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

The GP3000 isn't a dinosaur and you can find just as much gold with it as they can with the GPX4500. The GP3000 is easy to run. (I'm guessing your gonna be running DD coils) Set your Level adjust about 1 0-clock, run in Disc, flip switch to dd mode, run sens in normal , Boost normal or deep. The thing you need to adjust yourself is the threshold to your ears same with the signal and tone. Run the treshold as low as you can with still getting a nice steady tone. If you have any questions let me know really easy to set up once you getr done.
I don't hunt gold for a living, I live to hunt gold.

#3 nvchris

nvchris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

Try this link sixshooter for a gp 3000 video by Doug Stone hosted on MOTV.com

nvchris
Chris Porter,
President WSPA
WSPA member 106

detectoraid.com

Ponder, then dare!

#4 Beer Beeper

Beer Beeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:52 PM

GP 3000 settings:

Level Adjust about 10 to 12 o'clock or less.
Signal 3 to 5 o'clock but never 100%.
Boost Deep, but on quiet ground Normal.
Soil Normal, but on shallow 8" to 12" ground for small nuggets then Sensitive.
Usually always Fixed, but Tracking for women, highly variable ground, fast moving patch finding, or have great hearing.
For Mono coils a toss up between Mono mode or DD mode. I prefer DD mode.

Some good relevant reading below:

>>>...we buried a large nugget (about 1/4 oz.) about 8 inches deep. Normally this is a no brainer as far as the signal strength from my 3000. I usually hunt in Deep and Sensitive to pick up the small ones. I now started fooling with the controls to try to figure out what was wrong. As soon as I switched to Normal from Sensitive, the signal boomed through, even several inches above the ground. Digger Bob"

>>"G'day Digger, I am not surprised you experienced this. By using either Sensitive mode or Salt mode you alter the TIMINGS of your GP, using Sensitive the receive circuit is turned on at a much earlier stage and Salt turns on the receive at a later stage. The GP's are optimised to work best in Normal mode where both channels of the detector are at their optimum performance. In some ground types certain sized nuggets will produce a very weak signal depending on where the GB ends up when using Sensitive, most of this is explained in our first video "Unleashing the GP Series".

I would only ever recommend using Sensitive mode when the ground is shallow and the potential targets small. Also keep in mind if you use Sensitive mode you leave yourself vulnerable to more ground noise.

Hope this helps JP

BTW I noticed on another forum the 24K club are having a communal push up at Rich Hill, members of this forum who will be present should look into one of the Nugget Finder XP coils, by running in XP mode in conjunction with Mono mode you could cut out on a huge amount of interference, this might come in handy with all the other Minelab machines in the area when they open the ground up for detecting."

>>"Sensitive. It usually is though for small nuggets at less than 8". Bob (Montana)"

>>"I have been investigating and testing the differences between sensitive and normal for some time now and to try and generalizing my findings; Sensitive mode will give an equal or better response on small nuggets (under 10 grams) down to 12 inches deep. Normal mode can give a more defined response on larger nuggets beyond this range.
(Note: The improved response on smaller nuggets is more significant when using a DD coil.) I have had plenty of small weak signals diminish further in Normal mode but am yet to get one the other way around as you describe. Spinifex"

>>"Only use sensitive in shallow ground.( up to 10" deep).Inhere."

>>"As I understand it, sensitive mode on your GP is a timing change that switches the "Receive" circuit on a bit faster than normal to allow the eddy currents generated in smaller targets to be more easily heard. Salt mode switches later to allow eddy currents from the ground/salts, time to dissapate. Deep mode is an audio boost and not a timing change at all, so when you run in sensitive and deep you effectively turn the receive circuit on faster and boost the response. You will let more ground noise in especially with a mono coil.
Because of the way the 2 detectors channels are set up in normal mode, the null position shifts when sensitive mode is selected (and I presume salt mode as well) and that allows some targets about the size of the one you tested to slip through the net, so to speak, and avoid detection.
Also, some coils do not perform as well in sensitive mode as well as they do in normal. This is found out by testing each particular coil which is time consuming to say the least. Sensitive and deep combined should be used when the chances of the nuggets being smaller and shallower, outweigh the chances that bigger deeper ones are about. I generally prefer to use sensitive mode when I am after the smaller bits in shallow ground and deep mode when the depth of ground to the rubble layer is over 12" deep, but hardly ever combine the two. Sensitive mode also gives a DD coil a real boost as they tend to be on the quiet side in comparison to my favourite, the mono.
I reckon that you have a bit of work ahead of you to recover your ground and see what may turn up. Best of luck with it. As a final thought, when we cover the ground from 3 different direction as recommended, and combine the multiple coil/settings configurations as well, and then throw in the variety of different detectors available, then we have Centuries of detecting ahead of us. Regards to all from Qld Sandy in Oz."

>>"Hi Guys,
My prospecting buddy and I generally run larger mono elliptical coils over the 17" x 11" size on the 3500's in our areas and find deep mode to be a tad annoying on ground that is less than 12"deep because of the feedback generated. DD coils may be better in this department but we rarely use them. We will run deep on the deeper ground of course until the above happens. Generally we find normal/normal/tracking medium mode to be our patch finding settings, and sensitive mode saved for the smaller coils and smaller gold around the 1/2 dwt or less. Fixed is the preferred mode for chaining or carefully doing a patch obviously.
There are times that sensitive can highlight a signal as shown when RD got a very confused signal over a target in normal/normal. The detectors 2 channels were trying to respond equally in this case but a shift to sensitive/normal gave a nice clear signal, I presume because the timing change made the channel for smaller gold respond better on the eddy currents that were greater with the faster receive sampling. It ended up a 1 ouncer sitting on its edge, presenting a smaller surface area to the detector, from around the 14"mark. It never hurts to check different settings when a target is presented as it gives you a better idea of what your machine/coil choice is capable of in the conditions you are detecting in. I find salt mode will lose most of the smaller signals with the later receive sampling and as a rule do not use it, preferring to go to a DD coil instead if the conditions call for it. RD and I constantly check signals between us that we suspect are gold, as we generally run different coils.
Interestingly in our area we get a lot of chattery interference with some loud pips, and as our Summer is warming up, so is the noise (solar flares?). When it gets annoying I find that detecting in fixed mode stops the auto ground balance from drifting as it tries to tune the interference out, thinking it is ground balance out of whack. The bigger the coil the worse it is and as we prefer the bigger coils, we suffer the consequences.
Regards from Qld Sandy."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users