IPB Style© Fisana

Metal detecting tourist spots in Mexico?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rexb

rexb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:31 AM

So, uh, anybody ever tried to take their metal/coin detector on a plane, then off to a cruise and then pull it out to detect on the beaches of tourist spots in Mexico? I may have a chance to go on a cruise at a very low rate, but probably would not go if I can't manage a little time to hit the beaches with a detector. I'm thinking there would be Mexican authorities quick to confiscate my detector in a tourist spot since I would not be out in the middle of nowhere. Just curious if anyone had any experience with something like that. I know I don't lol.

Rex

#2 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

Hey Rex, Man thats a tough call I used to go camping on a very popular little beach in san miguel just north of ensenada the police never came into the tourist area unless there was a fight or some other problem but the mexican military came in when ever they pleased and would randomly search tents, cars, pretty much do what ever they wanted all armed with what looked like M16s. We never had any problems while I was down there but from my experiences I'd say dont take anything you cant afford to lose i would think you would be half way safe in a busy tourist spot but if one of those guys really wants something you have there isnt much you can do but hand it over, anyway youll probably be fine but there's always that risk in mexico - Ronnie

#3 rolkat

rolkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:52 AM

Be sure to check with Montana Bob. He takes alond some trading stock and puts it on top of the pile. They take it and never get down to the detector on the bottom. He has been there a few times but I don't know if he has been to the tourist areas.
Good Luck,
---Rolkat---

#4 rexb

rexb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:20 AM

Thanks for the replies Ronnie and Rolkat,

I guess it would be kind of a gamble. The detector I would take is only a Minelab Musketeer XT that I picked up for $202 on eBay, but I hate to lose it since I'll probably be doing a trip to FL sometime next year to visit where I grew up. I was raised on an orange grove in an old Victorian house built in 1885 by my great-grandfather. It would be ashame to lose the detector before making the trip over there to hunt the home grove. The beach would be in the Cabo San Lucas area, I'll have to meditate on it some more.

#5 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:19 PM

Hey Rexb, I hate to talk you out of taking your detector I think it would be a great place to try I doubt it gets hit on a regular basis like U.S. beaches you could possibly find some nice jewlery that would more than pay for a $200 detector I have mixed emotions on this I wish someone thats takin a detector on a plane to mexico would reply I would feel terrible if you lost your minelab after I might influence your decision I really think you would be fine if you stayed on the property of the resort your going to stay at losing it at the airport in mexico is an entirely different worry I have no idea how reliable the mexican airports are with baggage lol geez you really have me thinking about this, ok here it is if it was my only metal detector and I couldnt afford to replace it I wouldnt take the risk if it was a back up machine or I was thinking of upgrading soon anyway I would take it absolutely I think it sounds like a great spot to spend a few days beach combing I hope you have a wonderful trip however you decide - Ronnie

#6 saimetek73

saimetek73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

I guess when I was doing my studies in Maastricht, I should have spent less time in the "coffee" shops and more time in the fields with a metal detector.

Who knew?

#7 rolkat

rolkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:31 PM

Go to the prospecting forum and ask Montana.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users