19 replies to this topic

#1 Montana

Montana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

A bunch of us got together over the long holiday and headed for the Mohave desert. All but one in the group live in the Ca mountains where we were getting dumped on by a nasty winter storm . Bruce came out from Miami Florida to try out his new GPX5000. The weather was much nicer in the desert , but not exactly warm with highs only in the 40s but we had a blast and everyone found gold . Kinny P. and his wife Patty , Mark and Mike Greyshock, Betsy and Me, and Bruce got together in in varying combinations throughout the 4 day period. 2 days only 3 of us hunted ,1 day 5 of us hunted . On the last day we all got together to hunt a place where Kinny and I had found a few widely scattered nuggets several years ago. We figured that with 4 GPX5000s, 2 GPX4000s, and one GPX4500 more nuggets were sure to turn up . On that day we all got gold . The girls did well, with Betsy scoring 2 nice ones and Patty got the biggest one . Bruce was thrilled on the first day when he got 3 nuggets in the first half hour. Here's some pics. Mark was still out digging nuggets when I took the Pics. All totalled , we got over 50 little nuggets over the 4 days. None were over a gram , but all were greatly appreciated.----Bob

Attached Files

#2 Redbeard

Redbeard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:11 PM

Congrats to all. Looks like some nice gold. What kind of country/geology is it? Is it anything like what we hunt around here or totally different conditions?

#3 Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

What a great trip Bob - and gold to! Really impressive, thanks for sharing the great pics! - Terry

#4 Lunk

Lunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

Now that's what I call a nuggetshooting PARTY! WTG all!
- Lunk -

ALL FOR GOLD AND GOLD FOR ALL

#5 Montana

Montana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:16 PM

Redbeard. Old tertiary channels . Tilted and twisted and disected by modern dry stream channels. Kinda hard to follow as it appears over this huge area in various places. There appears to be several different channels as the one containing the most gold is made up of different rock than the ones carrying totally different material and having little or no gold . The acompanying soil is even different . The terrain is moderate but much of the gold is on fairly steep slopes covered with rounded cobbles and a liberal sprinkling of basalt bombs, which by the way aren't much of a problem with the GPXs and the Fine gold timing on the 5000 works especially well on them.---Bob

#6 seeker

seeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:53 AM

Great trip Bob and Group and Outstanding finds....Geo

#7 Mike Furness

Mike Furness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:17 AM

Hey Bob ... Great few days of prospecting. You keep on having days like that and those nugget jars of yours will be full in no time.

On another note I found my house and will be closing on it on Monday the 28th. Move date is still set for the first week in June. House is in Coyote Springs area of Prescott Valley. Really looking forward to the challenges this house brings ... needs lots of work but the price was right and when we are done will have 95% of what we both wanted in a house.

Mike F
Mike F

Mike Furness
Detector Training Instructor
Arizona Outback
To Schedule a Lesson: 928-777-0267
Email at: info@arizonaoutback.com
Novice and Advanced Training on Minelab PI and VLF Detectors geared to individuals and groups, Full Day (approx 6 hours) training on site at proven gold producing placer claims in the Northern Bradshaw's(Prescott, Dewey-Humboldt, Mayor area) or Rich Hill (Congress, Stanton) Arizona Gold Fields with your equipment or the free loan of ours. Other manufacturer's detector training available by special request. Drywashing and panning training available seasonally. Any gold you find during your instruction period is yours to keep! Please call Chris Gholson at AZO, 928-777-0267, for complete details and available dates.

#8 frank c

frank c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:38 AM

Mike, congratulations on finding the house and wellcome to AZ. One day you'll get up here in the N.W. corner and we can get together for a meteorite and or gold hunt.
Metal detecting ,Puffer Drywashers, Gold ,Meteorites, and Good Friends
These are a few of MY favorite things.
HAPY HUNTN FOLKS

Ol Yeller Drywashers
Custom Hand Operated
Drywashers
http://olyeller.wordpress.com/

#9 MikeT

MikeT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:35 AM

Congrats Mike. Keep us posted on your progress. Once you get settled maybe we can get together and do some detecting.

Mike

#10 El Dorado

El Dorado

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

Sounds like another grand trip, going out with a group of buds and finding gold is what it is all about!....... Looks like we are going to get a major dump of snow starting tomorrow!

#11 Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

View PostMike Furness, on 23 February 2011 - 07:17 AM, said:

Hey Bob ... Great few days of prospecting. You keep on having days like that and those nugget jars of yours will be full in no time.

On another note I found my house and will be closing on it on Monday the 28th. Move date is still set for the first week in June. House is in Coyote Springs area of Prescott Valley. Really looking forward to the challenges this house brings ... needs lots of work but the price was right and when we are done will have 95% of what we both wanted in a house.

Mike F

Congrats Mike! I'll be sure to get up there with a loaf of bread, pinch of salt, and a bottle of wine for you. See you in a couple of months! - Terry

#12 Golddust

Golddust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:GOLD

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:24 AM

Thats a trip you can allways call the good old days ;)

#13 AzOverland

AzOverland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for sharing, gives me hope that soon I will find that first bit of yellow..... :)
Hunting with the Minelab

#14 Road Dog

Road Dog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

Bob,

Sounds and looks like you guy's had a great trip and gold to. That's what it's about great friends and good times.
Road Dog

#15 Mike Furness

Mike Furness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:28 PM

Frank C and Mike T ... You're on once I get settled. I figure at least a month or more for honey do activities before I can have a pass ... but I want the list done too so there is an added incentive. Probably be available by August but then that is the heat of the summer too. Let's shoot for fall.

Terry ... sorry you can't get out here before I head back. We're going to do our usual ... I'm heading home as you are arriving ... talk soon OK?

Mike F
Mike F

Mike Furness
Arizona Outback
Novice and Advanced Training on Minelab PI and VLF Detectors geared to individuals and groups, Full Day (approx 6 hours) training on site at proven gold producing placer claims in the Northern Bradshaw's(Prescott, Dewey-Humboldt, Mayor area) or Rich Hill (Congress, Stanton) Arizona Gold Fields with your equipment or the free loan of ours. Other manufacturer's detector training available by special request. Drywashing and panning training available seasonally. Any gold you find during your instruction period is yours to keep! Please call Chris Gholson at AZO, 928-777-0267, for complete details and available dates.

#16 Chris Gholson

Chris Gholson

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

Montana,

Sounds like you guys had a fantastic hunt in the Mojave. That is great to hear that Bruce scored 3 his first day out with the new GPX -that is awesome! :) That's also good news about the Fine Gold timing; I was wondering how it would handle the basalts out there. Congrats again to all of you on the new finds!
ARIZONA OUTBACK
Your MINELAB Connection
N. American Distributor for Nugget Finder Coils
Tel: (928) 777-0267
Email: info@arizonaoutback.com
www.ArizonaOutback.com

#17 Montana

Montana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:04 AM

This was a great example of how a large group of detectorists can work together as a team . We started out all going in different directions but as the day progressed , most of the group started to converge on one 3 or 4 acre area that seemed to be the most productive. Although a few nuggets were found in just about every direction, there was a hotspot where the soil was a nice sticky clay that seemed to catch and hold the gold near the surface. The rest of the area had a sandier type soil . The clay was the trap that caught the gold on it's way down the hillside. The old timers knew there was gold there as they did shallow sample holes all over the area. They just couldn't find a good enough concentration to make drywashers pay. Even with the detectors working the best spots the nuggets weren't plentiful or very close together. To retrieve them with a dry washer would have taken years and even with the finer gold that is surely there, it would have been a starvation patch even in the depression. They moved on without doing a lot of work here. There were much better spots for them a few miles away. This was a case where a metal detector is the most efficient way to win the gold. We all found enough to buy a steak and pay for gas for the day, which is pretty much the way of the prospector-- Pay expenses until the big find!!!! Happy hunting.----Bob

#18 Montana

Montana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:22 AM

Mike Furness. Nice area you found to settle in. You should see some nice antelope near your house and the hills east of you have lots of deer and some elk. Gold mines too. Wait until this summer. You'll see some incredible lightning shows from that location.----Bob

#19 frank c

frank c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:56 AM

Mike, don't forget in the summer we are about 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix areas, so August Sept are not bad times up this way.
Yeah it gets hot but thats MY favorite time to hunt long daylight hours.
Metal detecting ,Puffer Drywashers, Gold ,Meteorites, and Good Friends
These are a few of MY favorite things.
HAPY HUNTN FOLKS

Ol Yeller Drywashers
Custom Hand Operated
Drywashers
http://olyeller.wordpress.com/

#20 Mike Furness

Mike Furness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

Frank ... I'm OK under 100 ... once over a 100 I head for cover and the A/C. I'll be in touch once I get settled in. Thanks again for the offer. I have wanted to hunt the north west corner of the state but never made the time to get over there. This summer late or early fall sounds like a plan!

Mike F
Mike F

Mike Furness
Arizona Outback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users