9 replies to this topic

#1 Bunk

Bunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:57 AM

As most of you know, I make the Hermit Pick. After stairing at my pile of shovels with the tips cut off, and getting a plasma cutter, I came up with this for a pick that can be carried on your belt in relitive safety. What you all think? I am also trying to come up with the best length for a belt style pick. These are all on 15" handles.
Bunk

Attached Files

• Attached File  001.JPG   38.03K   105 downloads
  • Attached File  003.JPG   38.79K   136 downloads
  • Attached File  005.JPG   48.91K   124 downloads
  • Attached File  006.JPG   43.27K   119 downloads
  • Attached File  038.JPG   72.5K   95 downloads

#2 Tom H

Tom H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

Bunk:
Not having dug that much I cant say as to the design.
For the handles why not offer two lengths?
I know for me a 15" is good up until around 2 pm...then a 36" handle would be good until around 4pm...after that its best to have a youngen around and you can just point and tell them where to dig! :)
All the best.
Tom

As most of you know, I make the Hermit Pick. After stairing at my pile of shovels with the tips cut off, and getting a plasma cutter, I came up with this for a pick that can be carried on your belt in relitive safety. What you all think? I am also trying to come up with the best length for a belt style pick. These are all on 15" handles.
Bunk
[/quote]

#3 Border Boy

Border Boy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:56 AM

Great little pick there Bunk mabe a little longer on the digger side (i usually wear off a half inch a month) but better than most as is. looks like it would be great to scratch a nugget out of a 2 foot hole also B)

#4 Bunk

Bunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:41 PM

I am thinking I will end up with three deferent lengths, 18" 24" and 36". I should have some 15" from time to time depending on the rough lengths I get.
Bunk

#5 Emptypockets

Emptypockets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

Not a bad looking pick. I like a 24" handle my self, after being on my knees for a while a 24" handle is long enough to give me something to push off of when trying to stand up. Old Knees :( just my two cents.
Cheers,
Howard

#6 Adam

Adam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

Bunkster! Real men carry thier pick over the shoulder, not on the hip. :D :P Besides, when using a big coil, it probably wouldnt be advised...

The Hermit Pick is the shizzle after it is fitted with a 36 inch Hickory handle, and besides...I dont dig burro`s, just craters B) ;)

http://www.arizonago...le-replacement/

#7 frank c

frank c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:05 AM

Hey Bunk I think that Burro pick is the "ritz" for VLF hunters also.
Metal detecting ,Puffer Drywashers, Gold ,Meteorites, and Good Friends
These are a few of MY favorite things.
HAPY HUNTN FOLKS

Ol Yeller Drywashers
Custom Hand Operated
Drywashers
http://olyeller.wordpress.com/

#8 Patrick in Havasu

Patrick in Havasu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:17 AM

I had a chance to see these picks while at Gold Basin last weekend, and they look SUPER.

A great alternative to its older Brother (or Uncle)?

Patrick.....

#9 Chris Gholson

Chris Gholson

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:26 AM

Hi Bunk,

The Burro looks like a good size to wear on the hip. It should be great option for VLF users, and would be handy chipping away at bedrock cracks. Bring a few down to Rich Hill this weekend if you can.
ARIZONA OUTBACK
Your MINELAB Connection
N. American Distributor for Nugget Finder Coils
Tel: (928) 777-0267
Email: info@arizonaoutback.com
www.ArizonaOutback.com

#10 jason

jason

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

The thing I'm always wishing I had on mine is a digger add-on for the other end of the pick on the handle, like a rounded piece of metal a little bigger than the width of the handle pointing straight up so that I can flip the pick upside down and still dig when I get a real deep hole that I can't dig in with the main pickhead anymore without widening the hole to crater width. As it is now I just carry a hand pry bar and use that when I get too deep for the pick, but it'd be nice to eliminate one more thing to carry.

Or actually, if you just sold those mini burro heads without the handle that'd probably be a good thing to put on the other end of my hermit pick for the same reason come to think of it if it wouldn't get in the way of swinging the big side of the pick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users