Hey Guys:

Living here in Colorado the impression left by the media sometimes is if you are in AZ then you are just asking for trouble. I know that is not the way it really is as I was in out in the desert detecting around Quartzsite & a few miles south of Ehrenberg during the last outing in Quartzsite and even though there were some others around detecting I beleive I would have felt safe even if alone. I heard some say "well I do not go south of such an such" or south of here or south of there. So how far south in AZ if out detecting alone is really safe?

Not trying to start a gun thread here as I realize there can be a lone wolf bad guy anywhere. Just wondering how far north are the REAL problems, drug runners, gangesters, bandito groups etc;

Glenn

Hey Glenn

Long time no see. I would recommend staying away from gold basin, there are a bunch of Nevada boys running around trying to find all the gold and meteorites before the Arizona guys beat us to them. :D

Greg

Hi Glenn,

We've lived in Gleeson/High Lonesome as well as Greaterville and had no problems at all. Er... except for some bored Border Patrol newbies looking for some excitement. Both those areas are within 30 miles of the border.

We have heard tales of problems around Arivaca. Our neighbor rancher in Cochise was retired ICE/Customs/FBI officer of 50 years and said it's all hooey. Despite the rumors and press coverage I can't find any evidence that anyone has been killed or assaulted by "drug runners, gangesters, bandito groups etc" while near the Arizona/Mexico border.

I felt safer down there than the time I spent in Phoenix. :lol:

Barry

MinerDiggins

Subscribe to the NewDiggins Newsletter

:ph34r: Just like you stated, trouble could find you anywhere! The Obama's think a secured border is posting signs along I8 with this warning...see jpeg. In reality, you should never go alone, not only is there the threat of the two legged kind out there, but there are 4 legged criters, some criters that slither and crawl that could put you in a compromise position. Not mentioning the risk of twisting a ankle, or worst... breaking a leg the buddy system is always a good idea. Hell, even two vehicle is a good idea sometime. My 2 cents worth.

More Au to you, Robert :)

post-916-132634749609_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't go past I8. From what I can tell that seems to be where the most activity is. On that note be prepared, IE take a partner as mentioned and carry a gun. Ya I no the different opinions about guns. We also have nuts its sad to say. We had an MCSO veteran deputy killed Sunday morning in Anthem. The Jerk was armed with an assault rifle and has now been linked to the murder of a out of town couple in Sedona last week. So rule # 1 for me is to carry a gun.

Hello Dredgebug,

Before prospecting, I grew up big game hunting all over the state and have been fortunate enough to spend a lot of time in all areas including those down along the border. I have personally had encounters with illegals, both friendly and not so friendly. Obviously, the closer you are to any towns the less likely you are to have any issues and the times I've come across them have been when I was back in the hills away from the general public. For the most part, the times I have been approached by illegals they were looking for food or water and were very hesitant to talk to anyone but there's always a risk of running into the smugglers and drug runners who are not as happy to see you. They are much more concealed and harder to spot especially when you're swinging a metal detector and staring at the ground.

I have dozens of friends who have hunted down South and only a few of them will not go there any longer do to bad experiences, but I feel there is always a risk of having issues regardless of how far South you are....but the risk gets higher the closer you get to the border. We've also glassed up illegals packing through the desert on the West side of the Bradshaws which must have been a group that didn't have anyone arranged to pick them up when they hit the city limits :).

Joe Kauffman

Boy , that sign pisses me off so much.....Our own country wont do anything abouth the problem , but will take the time to warn us with a sign , that our public land is dangerous....So much for protecting the people ...

We used to collect minerals down in Washington Camp and farther south. Being only a mile or so from the border ,and we never had any issues...Didnt even have side arms sometimes...Maybe times have changed....

No matter where you prospect you place your self in a compromised position.even with another person or buddy system ,hell look at the three Men found dead in the superstitions.nothing can prepare you better for the unexpected than you... be it at the boarder or in the bradshaws,carring a gun or what ever you always take a chance of running into trouble.just be prepaired as best you know how and educate your self .but most of all have fun and enjoy your time-out.if there is a sign stating a problem then use your head ,dont assume everyone you going to meet in the wild is going to be friendly...EDUCATION in being prepared will be your only best protection

I think the sign is great

we now know where the illegal and drug runners with there illegal guns are so we can stay away from the part of the USA that is reserved for them

I'm sure that that the agreement with our goverment will not be broken and the drugs and illegals will stay on their side of the sign

and who says that our goverment is not protecting us

I feel so safe now I might sell or just give my guns up to the goverment so they can sell them to the dealers to trace if they come back to our country and be used on one of our border patrol officers

the government will get them from my cold dead hands

Roger

I think the sign is greatwe now know where the illegal and drug runners with there illegal guns are so we can stay away from the part of the USA that is reserved for themI'm sure that that the agreement with our goverment will not be broken and the drugs and illegals will stay on their side of the signand who says that our goverment is not protecting usI feel so safe now I might sell or just give my guns up to the goverment so they can sell them to the dealers to trace if they come back to our country and be used on one of our border patrol officersthe government will get them from my cold dead handsRoger

Dont think it can be said any better