TAZMAN1972

HOT GROUND EVEN WITH MY 5000

Hi all. I bought Grubstakes Uncles 5000 after Christmas and love it! On a side note I want to thank Grubstake and his Uncle. I bought my first Extreme from Grub and now the 5000 from his Uncle. They are good people! :D

Now my problem: I have had this issue before with the extreme but was having it really bad recently with the 5000 in Fine Gold setting, and yes I am really in fine gold, I made the mistake once of putting it in ENHANCE on the front panel and fine gold in the menu (which = ENHANCE) anyway, I will go over a spot and hear what I think is a good signal and then dig it as usual. What I find is that all of my "spoils" sound off. So in other words almost all of my dug out dirt sounds off like crazy. I can balance it out but if the coil goes off the pile at all it then sounds off on the undug dirt. It seems to be worse when the dirt is damp but every so often it will do it in dry patches as well. I even dug dirt that didnt sound off until after it dug! I watched JP's 5000 video and saw the minelab guy run banded iron stone and the like over the coil in fine gold with no problems and no ground balancing required. as far as I could see. Am I asking too much of the detector or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks,

TAZ

HI Taz, it seems like you have found some dirt that the detector thinks is a good target. :unsure: Generally it's a good idea to ground balance near the target zone then pass the coil over the target area to determine if there is a real target present. The reason you do this is to prevent an out of ground balance induced signal response. Quite often I'll hear a faint murmur in the threshold (especially in the Smooth like timings such as Fine Gold or Enhance) and when I re-balance nearby the response will improve, quite often a deep little nugget is the result. :) The reason it was so faint was because the GB was slightly out (only needs to be a few percentage points to cut way down on a little target at depth). Other times you will receive a positive response that sounds very target like but if you pay close attention you'll realise the signal is too broad relative to volume levels (sometimes the response will also be inverted (Low/High) which will also be out of kilter with the way a target should sound.

So to sum up, in situations like you have described make sure your GB is correct in the general vicinity of the target (this might require GBing in a couple of different places near the target), listen to and commit to memory the initial response and compare that sound to the way it behaves after the fact, is the target too broad relative to the loudness of the response? Is the response inverted? (Low/High). Lastly pay attention to the grounds actual appearance, after a while you will come to recognise the types of materials that are problematic to help in making an informed decision on whether it is a potential target or not, clay domes, charcoal, in combination with moisture will all cause what you have described.

Lastly don't be too despondent when experiencing these confusing responses, even the very experienced operators get suckered into them at times, take heart in the fact that generally speaking the problems you have described quite often appear where the mineralisation is conducive to spitting out coarse gold, so pay close attention to the immediate area, there's probably gold there somewhere.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan Porter

Hi Taz,

What helps me identify ground noise is altering swing speed. True metallic targets like small nuggets have a small target area response and will still sound off at a very slow sweep, whereas ground noise often times improves with speed and decreases when you creep over it. Perhaps the best advice is just what JP offers "the signal is too broad relative to volume levels" This is where it helps me, to mentally reenforce a true target sound by using a test nugget.

Taz,

I've experienced what you're talking about, and I've experienced the damp soil/charcoal response that JP talks about as well.

Usually where I hunt, there's spots where there's a ton of iron in the soil (the soil is stained bright red or orange), but the signal breaks up when you disturb the soil (tiny bits of native iron will jump to the super-magnet if the soil is dry); moreover, as has been stated by others, check out how broad the signal is--that helps a lot once you learn the difference--thus the rationale for carrying some test nuggets of varying sizes.

True target signals are usually much sharper than hot soil signals, especially if the pieces of gold are close to the surface. I also like the comment by NVchris to change your coil sweep speed--that's a good tip too.

You've got some fantastic advice so far--hope it works for you. That 5000 is an incredible machine, but there is a learning curve; nevertheless, it's worth it when you dig your first nice nugget!!

All the best,

Lanny

Thanks guys. Another strange thing is that I had found 5 small nuggets in this same exact area two weeks prior with no problems after digging. Then it rained and now the problem with the disturbed dirt. Before digging each time i would swear there is a nice small target in the ground and would continue to hear it in the hole until the signal would disappear. Then I would run the coil over my pile even a small pile from a scrape and the entire pile sounds off. I would spread the dirt out as thin possible and sometimes it would quiet down but if the hole was any depth at all there was no way for me to spread it out thin enough to try to see if a small target was in the thinned out dirt. I do make a habit of balancing right next to my digs prior to, and during a dig from time to time and that did absolutely nothing. I would spread out the dirt and balance in one portion of it and then detect another portion, hoping to hear the target but never could. I have found coarse gold and know the area has some very hot spots. I would think that disturbing hot ground would disperse the mineralisation but in these cases it seems to make it worse? Remember also I did 1 or 2 digs on ground with no signal but after digging, the pile sounded off. I am just wondering if it is the wet dirt making more conductive or something?

TAZ

The wet dirt does seem to do so, and that seems to make sense, as water will conduct. I've experienced the same thing after a rain storm in areas I've detected before that were quiet, but after the rain, the soil gets noisy, but upon digging in the area of the signal, no target.

All the best,

Lanny

Hi Taz,

Just to quickly add a small bit to the discussion;

yes, damp ground is more conductive...especially in the Southern Mother Lode country (I'm guessing you are somewhere up around there)

where it is so mineralized anyway.

I actually love damp ground as I find that targets stand out better with the correct settings

and as JP and NvChris have said, those subtle targets require a perfect Ground Balance...the most overlooked detector tip of all imho.

It sounds like you are in a good situation;

You have the best detector you can get, purchased from a very cool person,

with some of the best people in the detecting world giving you advice.

It also sounds like you are doing quite well on your own.

Continued good luck

Tazman. You may not want to do this, but try reducing your gain a notch or 2 at a time and see if this helps. I have found that it has helped me in similar situations . The moisture does seriously effect the way the detector responds to high ferrous soil. Also, don't hesitate to switch to enhanced even on small gold. The 5000 will remain sensitive to most small gold in that setting, and you may actually be able to increase your gain. Don't keep fighting a problem, most likely there is a solution in that amazing control box on the 5000.----Bob

Tazman. You may not want to do this, but try reducing your gain a notch or 2 at a time and see if this helps. I have found that it has helped me in similar situations . The moisture does seriously effect the way the detector responds to high ferrous soil. Also, don't hesitate to switch to enhanced even on small gold. The 5000 will remain sensitive to most small gold in that setting, and you may actually be able to increase your gain. Don't keep fighting a problem, most likely there is a solution in that amazing control box on the 5000.----Bob

Thanks guys, After you mentioned trying enhanced I thought about it more. the time before at this spot when i found the 5 small nuggets all about .2-.3 gram, I "thought" I was in Fine. After that I watched JP's video and realized, I was really in Enhance. So I said to my self I wonder what small stuff I was missing by not having it in Fine. So the next time I went I had my brain stuck on Fine and how much better it was on hot ground. etc etc. Yeah I need to not forget to experiment! I'll let you know what happens this weekend if I get out there. I'll blame JP's video for saying he has only been detecting in FINE since getting the 5000! :D Seeing him find all that small gold got me jacked up and ready to do the same!

TAZ

When did JP get out the video on the 5000? I don't know how I missed it. Who is selling it?

It came with the detector I think it is called Unwrapping the GPX5000?

Hi Matt,

To answer your question directly,

think it came out last Summer...

It's got a few sections that are more than worth the price.

JP has turned into a first rate filmmaker as well as a first rate prospector.