Uncle Ron

Major Placer Gold Theft Reported

I just got word that thieves have stolen the Siskiyou County Gold Collection .... I don't know how many pounds of gold there were, but this is a very major placer gold collection ... Someone broke in and stole the collection about 25 or so years ago and the cops followed a trail of nuggets -- ala Hantzel and Gretle-- and caught the thief at his home only a couple blocks from the courthouse ... The county then installed a supposedly unbeatable security system complete with 3" bullet proof glass and direct alarm to the sheriff dept. which is basically in the same building ... If true, this is an amazing haul ... Here's pix I took on my last visit to Yreka ... Cheers, Unc

post-43-13281260413426_thumb.jpg

post-43-13281260590588_thumb.jpg

post-43-13281260764413_thumb.jpg

post-43-13281260884035_thumb.jpg

Confirmed:

Sheriff Lopey responds on gold nugget heist

Feb 1, 2012

Sheriff Jon Lopey, Sheriffs, Siskiyou County, Siskiyou Sheriff's report

SISKIYOU COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

**2/1/2012**

On February 1, 2012 at approximately 7:10 am the Yreka Police Department (YPD) received a report of a break in at the Siskiyou County Courthouse. The initial report was that the gold case located in the lobby of the Courthouse had been broken into and gold was missing. YPD officers and Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office (SCSO) Deputies and Detectives responded to the courthouse. A preliminary investigation revealed that at approximately 1:00 am two male individuals broke into the gold case and removed the contents.

According to Siskiyou County Treasurer Wayne Hammer the total value of the gold in the case is approximately $3 million dollars. The total value of what was taken is still being ascertained.

Sheriff Lopey stated “The SCSO is aggressively pursuing investigative leads in this case. YPD and the California Department of Justice are assisting us with the investigation and we have a team of highly skilled SCSO Detectives developing some promising leads. These thieves not only stole valuable gold that belongs to the people of Siskiyou County but these individuals violated the security and sanctity of our courthouse and stole a piece of our Siskiyou County history. We will not rest until the perpetrators are identified and held to answer for their crimes.”

If anyone has any information regarding this crime please contact the Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Detectives Bureau at 841-2900.

What a shame...that would have been a beautiful collection to see. Hopefully they will be able to track down the thieves before the gold gets too far away, or most likely melted down.

There used to be a nice collection of Lynx Creek nuggets on display at bank in downtown Prescott, AZ. I think it was First Interstate and sat right across from the courthouse. That was a really cool example of local placer nuggets, but when the bank went out the collection just vanished. Anyone have any idea where it went?

Here's a bit more detail.

http://www.mtshastanews.com/features/x132491954/-3-million-in-gold-stolen-from-Siskiyou-County-Courthouse

I've seen that collection many times since high school. It was one of the reasons I took an interest in panning back of the Humbugs in the late '60's. The last time was two years ago when I took my nephew to see it.

Interesting that they seem to have taken only the large nuggets. Those are well documented with photos and specs so they might be easier to track down.

Digger Bob

That's a genuine shame. I certainly hope they're able to recover it.

All the best,

Lanny

That really is a bummer, I doubt those nuggets will be remain nuggets for very long...

IT is to bad because it could also lead to other collections and displays to be put under more security and perhaps even put under lock and key with no chance to see them anymore. ( hope the thives are caught soon.).

There are always some idiots out there - in California they will probably get a 6 month vacation at a low security prison. :ph34r:

Which is why the nuggets at the Sierra County Courthouse are artfully painted plaster casts of real nuggets. They actually look pretty good, and I've seen the real versions.