Sign in to follow this  
MT-AZ-HP

cant stay logged in

CHRIS, WHY DO I HAVE TO LOG IN EVERYTIME I OPEN A MESSAGE.IF I GO TO THE NEXT MESSAGE I HAVE TO LOG IN AGAIN. ITS HAPPENED ALOT IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS.

HARRY

Everything here is working fine for me...Sorry. Harry, have you done/made any changes/upgrades to your system? How is it working on other forums? Have you added any new programs to your computer that might have affected Internet operations? Has our friends at Microsoft sent you any recent upgrades (auto install) or even possibly a security upgrade?

Mike

Hi Harry,

We will most likely do a forum upgrade next month. This version has worked well, but we have simply outgrown it, plus many of the spammers have found ways around the security. Hang in there, we'll get the bugs sorted out.

Hey Chris,

I run my own forums for a group of guys. We get a ton of spammers, but they are stopped at registration. We run an SMF based forum but I think this can be used on any type. Look at http://www.projecthoneypot.org . When a known spammer tries to register, it will mark their registration attempt in either yellow or red. This way while they are awaiting admin approval, you can simply reject their application. I then reject them and put them on ban list, by IP, so they are never allowed to register again. Lately, we have been getting a lot of spammers for some reason. At least once you go through the process of banning them, you won't have to mess with that particular IP again. We also run Stop Forum Spam plugins. Since doing this, it has been blocking approx 50-100 a day, making it a lot easier to deal with. Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve,

This is similar to the process we have in place here. The benefit is that spammers get blocked in the front end, the drawback is that it takes the manual approve/disapprove process. People & spammers get smarter so new releases come out regularly to help with the security. Unfortunately the time between new spam technologies and new releases is always behind the curve so the human administration factor will always be needed.

I agree,

With the millions of bots, harvesters, and human spammers, it will always be necessary for admin input regardless the protection. Here's hoping we can stay a step ahead.

Good luck,

Steve