Guys, Sorry if this is the wrong venue for this question but I need to get a quick solution. My buddy's GPX4000 power button is starting to crap out on him. He doesnt want to send it in to Minelab and be without it for weeks. Has anyone replaced the switch, either with a pushbutton or toggle, themselves? I just need to find a good switch to use. Would like to find one like the toggle on my 5000 but have not been able to (I described it to Mouser Elec. and they had never heard of such a switch). I know I can just put an on/off toggle on it but figured there was a good reason minelab didnt do that on the 5000. The 5000 has a push down on, push down off toggle which returns to center after actuation. Once I know what part to use I will have no problems installing it.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Taz

On a side note: Really sucks to hear about the Latrobe field being closed :(

Taz ... the trip out and back from Minelab service in Chicago is a 14-15 day deal. I just sent my 5000 in a month or so ago ... I was informed of the details throughout. However ... Not wanting to do that and repair yourself will void any remaining warranty if any is left on the machine.

If you have a Radio Shack nearby try them. Radio Shack isn't what it was years ago but it still has a few good items and one of them may be just what you need.

Mike F

I would just send it to Minelab. They fixed my 4000 for free out of the warranty period because the power switch that they used on the 4000 was faulty. It seemed notorious that the switch would go out when you were out in the field on a prospecting trip with no back up. If they will still fix it for free, I'd send it to them.

It is definitely out of warranty. I told him minelab would prob fix for free but he says he just cant live without it. I'll try to talk him into sending it. I was hoping someone had done this themselves and was able to find the correct type of switch for the 4000 or even better the switch on the 5000. If he wont send it in, I'll just go get him a toggle from radio shack or elec supplier. thx all.

Taz

I found a replacement for the toggle switch! It is a, SPST Momentary Action, spring return switch. It can be found at...

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ST0577

CAT. NO. ST0577 RRP $6.50

CLICK TO ENLARGE

SPST Momontary Toggle Switch 20A 12V

This switch is a SPST momentary action, spring return switch, which is ideal for launching missiles! Suits our ST-0578 Missile Switch Cover.

* Body size 29.5 x 15.5mm

* Mounting hole 12mm

* Rated for 20A, 12VDC

More Au to you, Robert

Jaycar is out of Australia. Here is a picture of the switch.

More Au to you, Robert

I found a replacement for the toggle switch! It is a, SPST Momentary Action, spring return switch. It can be found at...

http://www.jaycar.co...w.asp?ID=ST0577

CAT. NO. ST0577 RRP $6.50

CLICK TO ENLARGE

SPST Momontary Toggle Switch 20A 12V

This switch is a SPST momentary action, spring return switch, which is ideal for launching missiles! Suits our ST-0578 Missile Switch Cover.

* Body size 29.5 x 15.5mm

* Mounting hole 12mm

* Rated for 20A, 12VDC

More Au to you, Robert

Robert, Thanks for finding this. I'll have to take a closer look at the specs though. In some (most) ways I am electrically retarded (oops not PC) but I think that the gpx 5000 switch is not true "momentary" which by definition would mean that the switch "switches" only as long as you hold it, then when you release, the switch goes back to its' "normal" state which is normally closed or normally open depending on which switch you buy. I was able to talk my buddy into sending his into minelab, I will let him borrow my spare gp3000 while it is in the shop. He hasnt sent it yet so if I can find the correct switch I will probably fix it for him. Thanks for taking the time to find this.

TAZ

Chris, My buddy called them and asked if he could buy the switch, they said no. He didnt ask for the p/n: though. They may be willing to give that?? I'm not gonna lay any bets either way on that one. We'll definitly ask though.

Thx

TAZ

Chris I have a buddy that had the same problem. He held the control box verticle with the switch down and sprayed electrical cleaner in the push button portion of the switch and worked it a few times and repeated that a couple of times and it has been working fine since. Norm

yeah i could try that keyboard cleaner that evaporates quickly. I'll suggest that to him. Funny thing, the button still works but he has to push it about 5-20 times to get it to work. :P

Thx

TAZ

Having to push the power button multiple times was the exact problem my friend was having. He used electrical cleaner that comes in an aerosol can. Norm