Yo All ... I chased down a small quartz vein in some greenstone schist recently ... After a couple days of following crumbs up a hill I hit a pocket ... Butt ugly gold ... But near 5 ozt. of butt ugly gold can grow on you ... Anyhow, I'm fixing to dolly it all up and smelt it ... Can't wait to see how much finished gold I get ... I'm thinking about 3 ozt. The largest one on the upper left weighs 2.5 ozt. ... The big flat one (1.8 ozt.) has the vein like a sandwich throughout itsself ... Cheers, Unc

post-43-0-52961700-1337126974_thumb.jpg

Ugly can be good. I think weve all been involved with "ugly" at one time or another.

Nice finds Unc. I'll take ugly gold over no gold any time.

Bill

Hey Ron. I'm guessing where that gold came from generally speaking, and I thought I'd better tell you that some of the gold I found in that area was also butt ugly specimens. I didn't know what to do with it so I gave some pieces to Steve (El Dorado) to slice and cab for me . That ugly gold came out beautiful sliced and polished . I'd try that first before smashing it up. Anyway , WTG on the great find old buddy. I miss prospecting with you. It sounds like there may be some new spots cleared up in the Bradshaws. That fire is heading toward some good gold country that was too brushy to hunt before. Go get,em.---Bob

Hey Cuz,

I believe I would have to take a nitro if I found such a pocket.

You seem to be on the hunt and doing well!

Keep it up and ENJOY!

~LARGO~

Yo All ... Here's a few better close ups on the 2.5, 1.8 and .33 ozt. pieces ... Cheers, Unc

Yo Ron:

I do have to admit your babies are butt ugly. But, its still gold :)

Glad you got that stuff...keep geeting it. Thats what keeps us going.

Tom H.

Uncle Ron... When I saw "Replying to Gold from the pocket" this got my attention for sure. I'm not asking so do not tell :). However, my thought was one word... "Epithermal." So I opened the thread for a look-see.

I have been chasing epithermal precious metal ore deposits for over 50 years and have caught several of them so I believe your gold is epithermal... If epithermal(?), the source could be a fissure vein associated with a Tertiary Volcanic (Miocene-Pliocene) source such as andsite dacite, trachyte or ryolite If so, listen to Montana.. It could appear "but-ugly" as it was found in a surface gossan at a shallow depth. .

One thought... if you have a coin hunter VLF-type metal detector.. go to the discrimation mode .Air test it as if it was a coin...It could give a conductive "foil" reading or even a pull-tab... Good Luck,,, jim