Sign in to follow this  
highbanker58

Africanized Bees in Stanton Az.

While out detecting yesterday, I started getting bumped by a couple bees. I could see there were hundreds of them up ahead of me in the wash, flying in and out from under a large flat rock. I quietly backed up and climbed the hill to get around the hive.

I was alone, probably 1/2 mile from my quad and 5 more miles of VERY bad 3 MPH road to get to my RV. There are no buildings or places to take cover up in this area.------ What are the rest of you doing to protect yourself if you were exposed to this bad situation? These bees will attach for no reason, going for your eyes, ears, nose , and mouth, stinging you through your clothes in places you wouldn't think they could put a stinger. Dave

As a volunteer firefighter here in the high desert, bee calls are quite a normal occurence. Unfortunately, there really isnt much you can do to protect against Africanized Bees except to leave the area as soon as you realize they are there. They are aggravated by sound and from carbon dioxide from our breathing. I have been stung hundreds of times over the numerous calls I have been on....even while wearing the bee suits. And do not believe the hype that they will only follow you for a quarter of a mile. NOT TRUE! We have had them chase our engine for almost a mile. Best bet is to just leave them be. No pun intended...lol. They usually move their hive within 3-5 days unless there is a good source of water nearby.

Dave you hit one on the head here.

Most dangers you can encounter out there can usually be easily dealt with.

But large numbers of bees can be something else.

I have had a few similiar situations with them.

Best thing is to stay aware and avoid as best as possible.

And listen for those "low flying planes" comming in for a landing. Thats the sound you hear when thousands of them are in formation and coming near. The wife and I had a narrow and lucky escape last month.

I found this. I am looking on the net for some type of portable hood or something, will post a link when I find it.

Bunk

http://phoenix.about...lerbees01_2.htm

Bunk, my bro-in-law is deathly alergic to bee stings ... He located a full-body hood or net that he carries when out prospecting ... I'll what I can find out ... Cheers, Unc

Wellk after 11 days ofhell, I deserve to have a little rant. 5x bypass, I feel like a semi-truck wit a load od texas Drill pipe, and still full of mud. was sitting on my chest, There for a bit. I almost just took out my old 22 and stuck it in in my mouth. would have been less pain and quicker. Grubstake

Bunk, my bro-in-law is deathly alergic to bee stings ... He located a full-body hood or net that he carries when out prospecting ... I'll what I can find out ... Cheers, Unc

Thanks Ron! I have seen them some where but can't remember where.

Bunk

Hey Grubby ... Good to see you back my friend ... and back to your usual Billy Goat Gruff self ... !!! LOL Do your therapy and get back out in the field ... but take it easy on the digging part for a little while ... Geez man a 5x bypass ... I've only known one other to do that ... And just for the record he is healthy as a horse right now ... still paddling his kayak in the ocean ... must be the salt air.

Mike F

Mike, I can't say I enjoyed the stay in CICU, or the 10 days after they moved me out, This was heart attack # 11. First I had 11 stent put in over the years, and now a 5X bypass, 4 helicopter rides, I'm the 6 million dallar man. Restricted to only 5 pounds of lifting for 6 months they said, it takes the bone in your chest, that long to heal. Grubstake

Hey Grubstake,

Real happy to see that you're back and doing well. I was out with Jerry last Wednesday and he was telling me about you being in the hospital. Hope you get well real soon. But as Mike said, take it easy till you're well enough to get out and enjoy life again.

If you ever get the chance to get back down around Randsburg, let me know. I would consider it a privilege to hunt with you.

sourdough

Dave ... If that's you in the picture ... Don't look so sad! I didn't even see any Mossies on your head net. Went trout fishing in Maine a couple weeks ago now and had to have deet and head gear or the 747 sized mosquitos would pick you up and carry you away! :) Seriously ... no matter where you are those little b&%$!@^ds are annoying at best and a royal pain in the butt! I caught trout and salmon non the less ... did you get some gold? Kinda makes it all worth while when you get what you're after!

Mike F

Nice haul and it paid for the trip and then some ... made wages so to speak! :)

Mike F