Sign in to follow this  
Redbeard

17" EM or 16" RM ?

My favorite and best producing coil has been an old fiberglass Nugget Finder 17" EM but I also own a couple of 16" RM that rarely get used. I'm wondering if there is a significant depth or other advantage to either coil? Of course the 17" is easier to maneuver around rocks and bushes but the sweep width is about the same for covering ground. Is there any reason to use the 16" round over the 17" E? I could imagine that the round one gets a little better depth but if so how much? I think the 17" EM might be more sensitive to small gold but I don't have much experience with the 16" to compare. Oh yeah, I'm using a GPX 4500.

Theoretically, the 16R should have a 1 or 2 " advantage, depthwise, but my feeling is that when you're shaving it that close, the difference is the operator and the tuning ... Just my 2 pennies worth ... Cheers, Unc

I think the 17" EM might be more sensitive to small gold but I don't have much experience with the 16" to compare.

I`m not to sure that the 17 E would be more sensitive to smaller gold at any depth than the 16 R. Since I am "underclassed" :rolleyes: using an old SD, personally I would take the 16 R , and hope to squeeze out a bigger deeper nugget by days end. In shallow ground , I think they would both be even on the playing field.

Additionally, I wouldnt hesitate to run that 16 Round over some of your pounded ground. You may be surprised what you might find that was just out of reach of the 17 E. I like Uncle Rons thinking as well.