So I might get to pick my Christmas gift this year, and am looking at Detectors. I have never detected before and have a limited budget around a thousand. Below are the ones Ive been looking at and a couple questions

Minelab: Xterra 705

Eureka Gold

If you buy a detector for nuggets, why wont it work also for relics or coins?

Are batteries for these two built in, and can you get spares to carry with you?

Any advice will help

Xterra 705 will do it all for you and is a great detector. It is the one we do our VLF training on when we supply the equipment for the day lesson.

Mike F

I might add that you need to MAKE SURE, you get the 705 Gold Pack! http://www.minelab.com/usa/products/adventure-detectors/x-terra-705-gold-pack if you get the stock 705, you'll need to spend another $200.00 to get the 5 x 10" 18.75 kHz X-Terra Coil.

I use the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq for nuggets in Arizona, and park, sports field and farm field hunting here in New York. Both the Minelab and the Tesoro are great machines, but the LST comes with a stock 10" Eliptical, has a Lifetime warranty, and is made in Prescott, Arizona, so it is my personal favorite.

Yes, the batteries are easily changed. Both units can use AA, altho the Eureka should come with a rechargeable battery pack and a AA carrier.

Most folks who stick with the gold nugget hobby end up with a GB2 and a ML PI.

The Gold Bug Pro is a great choice, as is the Whites GMT and MXT.

My favorite VLF for gold is the Eureka because it simply works the best over the widest conditions.

Stick with a well known brand, they have a huge user/knowledge base and hold their resale value.

Even Kids with old detectors can find gold! (Minelab Sterling)

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

He's on a shitlist at the moment……….. school

But his efforts this summer earned him a new bike!

He's got a nice looking nugget. My boy was on that same list a few times when he was about that age. I remember when both my boys found gold with their detectors, both about two minutes apart. They had me running back and forth to help. Good times with the kids.

Take care Chris.

Wes.

I might add that you need to MAKE SURE, you get the 705 Gold Pack! http://www.minelab.c...a-705-gold-pack if you get the stock 705, you'll need to spend another $200.00 to get the 5 x 10" 18.75 kHz X-Terra Coil.

I use the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq for nuggets in Arizona, and park, sports field and farm field hunting here in New York. Both the Minelab and the Tesoro are great machines, but the LST comes with a stock 10" Eliptical, has a Lifetime warranty, and is made in Prescott, Arizona, so it is my personal favorite.

Hey Terry, by chance have you ever used the Lobo at the beach? I have...way back when...when my XLT was down and it worked pretty damm well I might add!!

Hey Terry, by chance have you ever used the Lobo at the beach? I have...way back when...when my XLT was down and it worked pretty damm well I might add!!

Yes I have (in the dry sand), and it is a killer! I have scored gold chains with it that the Excaliburs and CZ's walked right over.

Ok this isn't helping, Now my choices are:

ML Eureka Gold

ML Xterra 705

Tesoro Super Track

Fisher Gold Bug

White

I am SO FREAKEN CONFUSED

LOL But this is a good

Basically I'm getting stay with these names, but which one comes with the most like coils and cases etc

Depends on the package and who is offering the package deal. A very important part of any deal is traing ... whoever and where ever you get your machine of choice be sure you get some 'free' training ... It will shorten the learning curve and help you find gold and/or treasure and/or coin/jewelry much faster.

Mike F

Night Stalker, Chris G. can help you out at Arizonaoutback. They are great to deal with and will help you anyway they can. Michael B.

Depends on the package and who is offering the package deal. A very important part of any deal is traing ... whoever and where ever you get your machine of choice be sure you get some 'free' training ... It will shorten the learning curve and help you find gold and/or treasure and/or coin/jewelry much faster.

Mike F

Mike is right about this. You need a knowledgable person who has used the machine you are purchasing, and can easily explain the different functions and characteristics of the machine in the field. One day of solid instruction, can save you 150-hours of mistakes on the headphones.

OK, personally I would say scratch the Eureka Gold off the list. Not that it's not a great detector, it is. But the technology is old, compared to the Xterra 705 Gold. The other issue is that Minelab only makes 1 coil for the Eureka Gold. They make several for the Xterra 705, including a 10 inch round. Also Coiltek has just come out with a 15 inch coil that Chris can get for you.

The other thing I love about the Xterra is it runs on 4 AA alkalines.

Great machine, lightweight, you will not be sorry investing in this machine.

Doc