Sign in to follow this  
bitster98

New additicton

I usually just read posts on this forum. Lots of good info here posted by dedicated people. I am hooked on beach hunting. I guess I'm lucky I live an 1/4 mile from it in port aransas Texas. I got to say I'm in envy of you guys on the east coast. Your beachs look clean ! Ours are basiclly a long strip of iron&aluminum covered with sand! Millions of tent stakes& bottle caps. But I follow the creed " if you want treasure you gotta dig a lot of trash". When it's dry I us the ml705& when it's wet the tdi pro. I got to admit I love the tdi! It's simple to use and very effective. I know lots of folks on this forum love the 705 but I find it to be a very user unfriendly detector. If anyone here would like to give some tips on using it on the beach I would really appreciate it. Also if anyone else here is from port a and would like to chat please post. Thanks joe.

Welcome from White Plains, New York! I am a pulse induction wet sand and water hunter (Tesoro Sand Shark), and I use a couple of VLF machines on the dry sand (Tesoro Cibola and Lobo Super Traq). We have a few beaches in Brooklyn, and down in New Jersey, that are also "long strips of iron & aluminum covered with sand." A lot of the hunters here use multi-frequency machines like the Minelab Sovereign, Excalibur, and the Fisher CZ 21. I've only used the Xterra 705 a few times in Arizona goldfields, but I was lucky to get some great tutoring from a knowledgable user, so I felt pretty comfortable with it hunting for nuggets.

Look into a multi-freq machine. HH - Terry

San Diego beaches are clean...I mean clean!! You gotta really pick and choose when you are going to hunt because the tight a$$es here never lose jack! I suppose I would have better luck working the beaches around La Jolla but they are always crowded, and I hate crowds...I also hate getting up early so it puts me in a bit of a pinch, but reading posts like this gets me a little motivated to put some effort into getting out there. I gotta get more hrs under my belt with this Sandshark, you know Terry...the thing I love about this machine, is the learning curve (none) and the price!! Actually there is nothing I don't like about it and I'm sure glad after seeing you tearing it up out there Terry that I followed suit and got one too!! Thanks buddy! :)

the xterra 70 and the 705 work best with a dd coil in the wet sand...reduce your sensitivity to 15, set in the salt mode and run in tracking...I use the all-metal mode with two tones because I dig almost everything...but the iron tone keeps me from getting too excited, prematurely...but beware small gold can read as iron...the prospecting mode and dd is even more sensitive but you will dig lots of tiny bits of trash...dig all mixed signals they are usually something interesting.

fred

Thanks guys for the info. ESP. Fred I will try those settings&see what I find. I always find something &that's what makes this fun. You never know what your going to dig up! Right now the beach is saturated with water only about an inch of dry stuff on top. I am thinking about the sand shark unfortunaly right now I got to build kitchen cabinets for our new house. Again thanks everyone. Joe