Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Quit My Day Job, Going Prospecting

Hi Guys,

I am posting to a few of my favorite forums but if this is off base just nuke it Chris.

It has been in the works for several years, but it happened kind of suddenly at the end. I realized recently I do not have to spend another winter in Alaska waiting for spring so I can go prospecting. Last week I turned in my resignation at the business I co-founded in 1976. My partner and I sold it to the employees a couple years ago, and I do think they can handle it now without me. They are a really great bunch of people.

Since I got into business while in high school I am a bit ahead of the curve. Too young to retire really, so time to just go do what I want to do full time, which is prospect and metal detect for gold and write. I have a dredging operation with my brother planned for this summer with lots of detecting possibilities on the side.

I have a lot of content I created scattered about the internet, much that I want to disassociate from any commercial websites, so I have set up my own website at DetectorProspector.com where I can host my stories, and sell my gold, used mining gear, and hopefully in the future my books. It is non-commercial and so I am trying to set up link trades with anyone interested HERE. I already have this forum listed and Chris' store also. If anyone else would like to trade links let me know. If I can build some traffic I can get a little income via Google Ads to help supplement everything else.

I will finally be moving to Reno this spring and my brother, the other prospector in the family, is in Phoenix, so I expect to be all over the western US when I am not in Alaska. Hope to finally meet up with a lot of you.

So with that I can well and truly say Happy New Year!

Steve Herschbach

Steve ... I probably have a few years on you but I made a decision a couple years ago to do the same thing. I left 27 years of real estate sales back in NH and moved to Prescott Valley AZ. I do a few lessons for Chris when asked ... I really enjoy showing someone how to run their GPX. When not teaching or visiting my girlfriend in Colorado I am prospecting in the Bradshaws or Congress, Wickenburg, Morristown area. It's a good life!

If you get into the Prescott area sometime give me a call and we'll go out.

And welcome to the Southwest!

Mike F

Hi Steve,

That's fantastic!!! :lol: Being a business owner myself I know how much hard work is involved when building something from the ground up. It's great to see that now you will have plenty of time to pursue your passion for gold and the love of the outdoors. You've earned it. As nvchris said, Now the adventure begins!

Be sure to keep us posted on your travels, and the next time you visit Phoenix be sure to drop me a line. I'd enjoy getting out for a weekend of detecting with you. Wishing you much success my friend!

Hey Steve,

I doubt that you remember me but I'm the guy that served with your dad over at Charlie AIRBORNE on Fort Rich. I'm glad that you are going to take the time to smell the roses (or nuggets ... whatever) since after all those years working for yourself (the meanest boss on the planet) you deserve time off to do stuff for YOU. I am outside of Kingman AZ about 40 miles south of Gold Basin and usually have a clear schedule if you are ever gonna beep this area. Good luck in your ventures. Let me know if I can help with anything in this area.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the kind thoughts and invites. I will be on the forum more often to keep up on what outings and events are planned. I am pretty busy already for the summer but after I settle down in Reno in September I will have more time to start exploring the west.

I am planning a major gold dredging operation for this summer in Alaska. I really enjoy metal detecting but drdging is a more consistent way to find gold, and I would like to get a lot of gold this summer! I just posted my plans with photos at my reactivated Steve's Mining Journal HERE if anyone is interested in what goes into planning a dredging operation. Lots of work but could pay off very well at current high gold prices.

Steve Herschbach

Steve. Congrats!!! I did the same thing 24 years ago. No regrets, and the memories acquired while prospecting are much more pleasant than the memories of working a day job. See you in the goldfields!!----Bob

Hi Bob,

Nice to hear it has worked out for others. Hope to bump into you again in the not too distant future. Last time I was arriving as you were leaving so not much time to chat.

And thanks Chris, maybe I can do a free speaker gig at one of you get-togethers in the future.

Steve Herschbach