goldrivermike

Pinpointer Probe recommendation

Im looking to buy a pin pointer probe. Its been hard to use my 15x12 Commander coil

to locate the target without digging a big hole. Does anyone have a recommendation

for a hand held pinpointer?

mike

Hi Mike,

My two personal favorites are the Minelab PRO-FIND 25, and the Garrett PRO-POINTER. Both are about the same size, include a belt holster, and offer both audio and vibration when a target is detected.Performance is fairly close and so is their price. AZO keeps both of these models in stock, plus the Pistol Probe pinpointer from DetectorPro.

Mike- I own or have used all of the above mentioned pinpointers. The Pistol Pro by Detector Pro works the best with my GPX 5000. It is a PI pinpointer and works really well when using it to pinpoint with a large coil. I've located over 3 oz of nuggets with it since last May. Dave

Hands down, the best pin pointer I have ever used. The vibra probe 580 PI

http://www.treasureproducts.com/vibraprobe.html

This pin pointer has a detection depth of about one inch - which I like - it has tilt on/off technology and is water proof. Vibrate only with auto shut off feature. Runs forever (it seems) on one 9v battery. I've had it for about a year now and replaced the battery once. A very rugged and fast finding unit after getting used to it. The tilt on/off feature I really like after getting used to it. Don't shy away from the price because it is worth every penny.

I have both the Garrett and the Minelab versions and prefer the Minelab PRO-FIND 25, it has better sensitivity to smaller nuggets and handles mineralisation better, it also does not interfere with my GPX 5000 like the PRO-Pointer does which has previously been a real deal breaker for me when prospecting, my Garrett is now relegated to coin shooting only in combination with the CTX 3030 and X-TERRA 705.

Last season I used the PRO-FIND a heck of a lot on VERY deep nuggets (2 foot plus), it was invaluable as you could dig with confidence knowing if the probe had not picked up on the target yet (some of them were well over 6 ounces) you were not likely to damage or mark the nugget.

JP

Heres a few pictures of a six ounce piece I had to use the PRO-FIND 25 on last year.

Still in the hole

1-6ounces_zps25e3f139.jpg

That was a deep dig on a hot day

1-DeepDig_zpsc3182765-1_zps3c1b0b34.jpg

6 ounces of solid golden goodness

1-6ouncer1a_zpsf8b6198e.jpg