The SD21100 is a great machine, however there is one big CAVEAT. There was a series of SD2100's where the boards got coated with black paint.

It was later learned that this black paint had a metallic property in it and it threw the whole machine out of whack. These machines only worked well with the coils that they came with and then not all that well. If you tried using later coils, or after market coils they really acted whanky.

The boards in Minelabs are generally coated white. I had a guy that wanted to sell me his SD2100 dirt cheap, his coils were brand new, the machine was barely used. Unfortunately, it was one of the dreaded black board SD2100's and I took a pass.

I could not in good conscience buy one of these machines and turn around and sell it to someone else. Minelab actually did a recall on these machines many many years ago, however, there are still some out there floating around.

The serial numbers involved are 36,000 to 38,000.

If in doubt open the machine and look at the board.

Doc

Anyone have any comments on the 2100? I can get one pretty cheap.

Thanks Frank. I'll watch it tonight.

Got the machine and it does work(after buying a new battery).

My boys took it out just before dark tonight and found a couple pickers about 10 grains each.

I thought it was supposed to find only BIG ones? grin

When I got this machine, it came with two coils. Both are the same size...about 10 3/4 inches. One says "MONO SUPER GOLDSEARCH" and the other says "SD Series SUPER GOLDSEARCH".

I'm thinking that they are the same coil??

Lipca

The other coil is probably the stock DD coil that comes with the machine. With those two coils your set. The 2100 is a nice simple machine that will find gold.

Good luck with it.

Wes.

So, you think the "SD Series" coils is a double D coil? How would I know for sure?

Double D would be better, right?

First of all, I now hunt with the 4500 ... An awesome machine that I've found small nuggets my o' Baboo 2100 simply couldn't hear... Now that being said , the old 2100 with booster and black widow headphones is a formidable nugget finding monster, especially for larger, deeper golden goodies .... I do have to say that the small gold I've found since switching to the 4500 hasn't paid for the difference in price, but it has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the hunt ...The 2100 is a fantastic machine to start with because it lets you learn how to hunt and when you move on up, you'll be that much better of a detectorist ... Cheers, Unc

Nice to see people still like the old 2200 v. have one. it surprises me all the time on what it finds. small and large.

i have 2 targets as soon as i get a new pick, are so deep i cannot even dig thru the round rocks past a foot or so. with my new pick should do the job getting those round rocks out of the way. this is a ancient water way. been there for a year or two, these two targets. can't wait to find out what they are. i would say according to the last signals with the 2200 v close too two feet. at one foot signal is weak but strong.should be alittle fun but these two targetts are going to be work...Bob