A while back I found a seasonal creek near home which was hand stacked on both sides for about 1/2 mile. At that time it was flowing strong with the best spots for detecting under rushing water. I waited until a long dry spell came along and returned to try it again and was rewarded with a nice specie first and then a real nice nugget. it was still running pretty good so I was pretty sure I would get more if the water dropped to only a trickle, and yesterday that was what it was like. It wasn't a bonanza but I got a good signal under an overhang which had been a waterfall before . There was a clay and gravel filled crack that was very hard to get any kind of tool into , but with lots of patience and cramped muscles from the awkward position, I dug five bright , shiney little nuggets out for a total of 4 grams. This creek is real typical of many small gold bearing creeks in my area. The workings go upstream for some distance then all of a sudden stop and a look around at this point reveals a hardrock pocket or stringer was found and dug out by the oldtimers up on the side hill. It is pretty obvious that they found the original source for the gold in the creek. Good detective work paid of well for some old sourdoughs.----Bob

post-102-0-84680900-1364234388_thumb.jpg

post-102-0-41010200-1364234467_thumb.jpg

Montana

Nice gold congrates reminds me of a small brook near the Canadian Border i must work this summer. The old timers found small bee bee size gold and not sure they found the source but will soon find out. What type of detector are you using? Thanks for sharing. Rick.

Nuggetnut. I was using my GPX5000 with the 8" Minelab mono yesterday and the 14"E nuggetfinder on the previous trip. ---Bob

Nuggetnut. I'm living in California in the motherlode now. We have long dry spells between rains , and that governs the water flow in these small creeks .----Bob

Bob nice going my friend that cali gold is sweet looking stuff good luck on more when the flow is right SWING IT ALL DAY LONG>>KELLY

Hey Bob ... Glad to see those CA streams are still producing for you ... nice looking chunks! Those two coils on my GPX5000 have become my go to coils around here ... the little 8" Commander is the one most used ... all your fault with your early tutorlege for me before you abandoned :rolleyes: AZ for the Motherlode!

Mike F

WTG! NIce looking gold.

I would deffinently hit that tailings pile...thier digs and the area around thier digs for other stringers.

They didnt have what you have for finding gold and your armed to the teeth with the 5000.

GL to you.

Tom

Bob ,nice springtime gold. I'm back in Mt. now. Had a good season detecting in Az. It's time to get the fly fishing gear ready to go.HARRY

Great job, Montana; it's a good thing those old sourdoughs didn't have metal detectors and left you those nice nuggets!

Hey Lunk ... Long time since I have seen a post from you buddy ... welcome back.

Ray. No rattlers yet. These nuggets came from about 2000 ft Elev. Poison oak is still dormant, and the blackberry vines are still lying flat. This will all change soon. Hey lunk, this was a good example of finding where the old timers made a mistake. The crack was almost invisible and was filled with hardpack clay and gravels. It was great pulling out one nugget and rechecking the crack and hearing another one in there and then several more. I might as well have quit after that. The rest of the day only produced a pick tip and a few square nails. Bob

Mike, I was pretty much out of the detecting game this winter, but as the weather finally warms up here in north Idaho, I'll be hitting the fabled Coeur d'Alene gold country and posting my adventures once again...thanks for the warm welcome back, buddy.

Montana, our good friend and legendary nuggetshooter Smokey Baird would be envious; whenever we're out detecting the vast cordillera, he often remarks that the oldtimers should have missed a crack that's just loaded up with nuggets!

I can only imagine how much gold they took out of this little creek . They probably found cracks with a lot more gold than the one I found. They moved many tons of rocks and boulders in their search which in turn helped me out. The gold would have been under too much overburden for a detector to reach. I'm happy to settle for their scraps in this case.---Bob

You mentioned about being at 2000". This was mentioned in reference to the question on seeing rattlers. Not sure if you were tying the two together?

I've seen rattlers over 6000'

Always enjoy reading about Montana's golden adventures...?