My family and I were out doing some detecting this past weekend at an old mining camp. The camp dates to the 1870's and as you could imagine was loaded with trash, so I opted to run the Minelab CTX 3030. I found several Wheat cents, modern day coins, and a few old rusty relics, but the coolest find was below. At first I thought it was just a piece of scrap metal until I rubbed off the dirt. It measures approx. 9" x 4" and it is the first I have ever found.

I am thinking it came off a whiskey barrel. What do you guys think???

post-28-0-31806400-1366764383_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing you're right. I poked around on Google for a while and came up with what looks like a reference to an old court case involving someone named Cook from 1872 regarding Trademark infringement on Old Valley Whiskey. Looks like your label has the name Cook on it on the bottom left of the picture. Copy and paste the link below in your browser and scroll up to page 392 to start. Looks like the labels were branded in at that time, so I'm guessing your label was made sometime after this case.

Here's the link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=e6wUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA398&lpg=PA398&dq=the+old+valley+whiskey+barrel+label&source=bl&ots=UbuRxZtIet&sig=NZiUJu8JBBOiY-KNXeQv21T_Nh8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Vzt3Ucz2DsiJiwKFr4GACg&ved=0CE4Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=the%20old%20valley%20whiskey%20barrel%20label&f=false

FYI

Nick

That is a very cool find Chris! Btw Chris, have you tried the Gold Bug Pro there yet? Its a heck of a relic detector in square nails and trash, the only type of area I don't like it in is one loaded with those small round bits of rusted can. Ray

Ray ... Hope this makes the link live:

http://www.pre-pro.com/midacore/view_vendor.php?vid=JFK11587

Mike F