I got to take the CTX to Dana point this last weekend and this is the take. I was very surprised at the lack of targets on the beach but the beaches in that area are extremely narrow these days. Most of the sand has eroded away leaving the beaches mostly rock. But I also understand that they are detected on a regular basis. My buddy Brian and I, were still able to get some targets. He was running an Xterra 705 and did manage to get his oldest coin to date, a 1949 Nickel. This was the first time I have detected any modern targets with the CTX and I do look forward to hunting the beach again. Bunk

This was the first time This was the first time

post-2564-0-25771800-1369232390_thumb.jpg

Congrats Bunk!

Bunk,

The beaches are hit hard. I just picked up a 3030 and have not used it yet. I went to 3 beaches in Orange County yesterday and the waves were big and not much could be found. I used my SE Pro at Laguna and Huntington and they were very clean. You have to go to a place with a BIG parking lot.

Just a year or two ago (look at all my old posts) I could go into the dry sand and find $3 an hour of old, tarnished coins but no longer. Part of that is because of detectors and the other part is the parks department. On big beaches they have gotten sifters which take out the trash and goodies. I know they have to do this so that they have clean, safe sand but it leaves little for us.

The fast way is that they rake it into piles just like a farmer. Some is left because the rake gets full or the stuff is too small. Many guys around here now will not wait for the groomers. Every day they work a patch so that there is no 'build up' of old. Most of my success is to be near the surf when the waves and tides are right so that you get depositing waves.

Using this method I found one little heart ear ring yesterday before I called it quits.

Mitchel

This is my first 3030 hunt. I go at night and I was surprised how bright the screen was and I couldn't find the adjustment. The screen also had wavy lines which were distracting. I could tell right away that this machine does grab an object and lock on better than the SE Pro. I kept at it looking for a piece of jewelry and finally got that heart which is 925 with ZEI HDS on the back. I need to read the CD manual because the unit I got didn't have a printed instruction manual.

post-38307-0-01827800-1369400250_thumb.jpg

post-38307-0-61620400-1369400276_thumb.jpg

post-38307-0-10682600-1369400305_thumb.jpg