Would like some input on setting up a Honda 4 wheeler for going into the back country with a metal detector and other stuff. I had a 94 300 given to me and I know some of you out there know the best way to load and protect your equipment. If you can post some pics to see your set up it would be helpful. Open to any suggestions that you have.

Thanks,

Brent

Gonna go pick up my quad later today and bring it home an I'll post a couple pics of what has worked super well for me and also carrying the wife and her gear the last couple years. Great protection for the detectors from vibration and the elements and all the gear needed.

This is my new mule. Big black box in back for helmet (live in Kalif), emergency stuff and misc (cords, batts lunch, ect). Aluminum box is for Minelab, to kind of protect it from the elements (still lets dust in a little bit). Front rack, I have Kolpin rifle mounts. If I'm jumping from one spot to just up the trail this works for detector, or more usually my pick. Front basket for what won't fit in black box. I usually carry way too much with me, but I'm more comfortable that way. Shep post-252-0-74615400-1379290138_thumb.jpgpost-252-0-97710200-1379290152_thumb.jpg

I made it, but believe Frank made one out of wood and looks good! I like the idea of keeping detector together (lazy); if it's taken down, I might have second thought on stopping at a possible good spot. The detector head is wrapped w/ egg shell foam in the box and softens the road bumps. A 50 cal army surplus ammo can is about the same size, but you'd have to slit the front for shaft and then figure out some way of sealing slit. I have the aluminum, a 6' box and pan brake and all the tools, just too bloody slow in fabricating to even thinking about making more. Take care, Shep.

post-46604-0-16399200-1379304534_thumb.jpgpost-46604-0-14582600-1379303324_thumb.jpgpost-46604-0-99157900-1379302658_thumb.jpgBkopps over in OZ,I got a few Ideas A 1.5 in x 2' peace of pvc to carry pick,one bunghy to hold it in.They had quite the set up in the front box was a four plug charge system for battierys and radio's.I really liked the trailers there made in Idaho.The front box was enclosed,the back rack was open ,thats were there dogs rode they would set detector box here with coil on front box.post-46604-0-94792500-1379303035_thumb.jpgpost-46604-0-32565200-1379303160_thumb.jpg My brothers wife gave me her old quad 97 400 forman,my bro bought her a new one.I got new racks from sportsman guide for 86 dollars and a lift kit 2" for my new tires which were bigger recoverd the seat and some paint.still got alittle left i want to do. Good luck on what you do a little customizing to make it yours all you need is to strap it all on and GO>>>KELLY

Was eye-balling the trailers from OZ- pretty neat! and got an idea! What if one found a canvas bag (w/ zipper on top), that the detector head and handle would all fit in with foam pad wrapped around it, strap this bag down to rear rack? Zipper it down to shaft exiting bag and walla! Remember gym bags back in HS had a cardboard bottom (maybe not long enough, but you got the idea), that could be secured to back rack?? Just think'n, Shep

Shep those trailers are made in Idaho near boise,They have a one axel model too.I called to price them and the guy emailed me his cell # i never called but i bet there pricey! Be perfect for Alaska.post-46604-0-75381500-1379392085_thumb.jpgpost-46604-0-88295900-1379392170_thumb.jpg Their made by bosski see at atvwagon.com the one axel hauls 800 lbs the larger 2 axei 1600 lbs its $ 1,899. I might need one for my alaska expedition next summer.Haul a five inch dredge and all my gear head inland from nome AK 80 miles>>>>Kelly

Shep I was think about the foam idea but inserted in a box that the detectors ( 2 ) fit in, only the shaft sticking out but at least 3 or 4 inches of foam around the PI I think would be a benefit. Where I am at we have a lot of trees so need all the protection I can get.

Brent

Hello Brent, I am attaching a photo of my old Honda and hope the info helps. It has been worth the effort expended when I'm out in the boonies. I bolted plywood platforms to the rear rack and to the front rack. The rear storage pod was purchased from Cabellas and bolted to the platform. This set up allows my wife to sit behind me when she needs a ride. I added a box for my ML 4000 to the rear platform. The box sits on an angled base that deflects brush and branches from the box and detector shaft. I put the traditional milk crate on the front platform to carry the usual junk. This worked fine until Chris G. made me buy a 25" round nugget finder coil. Because of him I had to add a "brow" to front platform. The brow has kept me from tearing up the new coil. I sometimes tend to go through stuff. Hope this gives you some ideas.

post-42253-0-64281700-1379615365_thumb.jpg

post-42253-0-04379700-1379615414_thumb.jpg

Dick,

Thank you for the info and from all who has posted pictures and ideas. Can't wait to get home in two weeks and work on my quad. Looking forward to detecting down in AZ. a few times this winter with dad and the quad will come in handy. Dick, I am sure Chris twisted your arm to buy the coil, had to laugh at that one.

Brent

post-36463-0-79918500-1379866955_thumb.jpgpost-36463-0-08062000-1379866985_thumb.jpgpost-36463-0-17176900-1379867005_thumb.jpgbrent, just got a new 4wheeler to turn into a prospecting rig after crashing my old rig,so starting from scrach i am putting this rig together i still have to figure a cover for the detector box, but every thing will brake down and fit into the big box on the back i can carry the detector and digging tools on the mini rack when just out poking around and going slow,and not get the control box dusted out.

brent it is made by KOLPIN it is called an outfitter box and it comes with the gas cans and is $275.One other nice thing is that the lid has a gasket to help seal thight when closed