NvAuMiner

2013 NV Mule Deer Buck

Hello Everyone,

It has been awhile since I have posted on Chris's forum, so I thought I would share a picture of the buck I was fortunate to get opening day here in NV.

My day started off before sun-up, out on the 4whlr to get to a good advantage point to glass from. Not seeing much movement I decided to head up higher to a sagebrush bowl that I knew was home to a big buck. This being 10mi. away, I took my time getting there so the big buck would bed down and be content and peaked over several rim rock locations on the way.

Walking back to my 4whlr from one of these locations, I heard the crack of a distant gun shot and thought to my self that some one had just scored. . . A few steps later I heard the same crack, from the same general location and decided to glass the terrain. What I saw was fantastic!! Two Rocky Mountain Bighorn Rams sky lining themselves on a ridge dueling it out. I made my way back to my 4whlr and enjoyed the show for 20min. through my spotting scope while eating lunch.

Continuing on to the big buck, I parked the 4whlr and hiked up to the bowl. Wind being in my face I peaked over the edge and glassed the sage brush. Not seeing the bedded buck I tried a young buck grunt call and an estrus doe bleat call to see if I could get him to stand.... nothing!! I have good success when scouting by squealing a wounded jack rabbit call. This makes the deer, sheep and elk stand almost every time to investigate the noise..... still nothing!!

The wind still in my face, I walked the rim rock 1.5mi. to the north. I found a small hand stacked rock wall probably built by the Indians and used it as they did as a hidden advantage point to glass from. Eyes not being what they use to be, I thought I saw a 4whlr parked on a distant ridge and a hunter below dragging a buck. Well the 4whrl was a rock and the hunter dragging the buck was instead a buck feeding.

I watched the buck bed on the slope of the ridge and closed the distance to about 100yds between us. Seeing only his head and a small part of his neck, I waited and decided to try a rangefinder a friend gave me. Right about the time rangefinder was on him he stood and looked my way. Not wasting any time I saw the shot I was waiting for and took it and down he went. 3:30pm @ 8,400ft shooting a custom 270Win w/Barnes VOR-TX 130 GR. TSX BT I love that bullet....

It is hard to tell from the picture but I had to cut him in half to carry him out. It about killed me... I left plenty of human scent around the second half as I had to return in the morning to retrieve it. Nothing came in at night for the free feast.

Coming out at night my headlights flickered and 50yds farther down the road they went out... I had to travel the remaining 6mi out by 2 headlamps and a spotlight. That was a challenge in itself, but I made it safely back to camp at 830pm too much relief of my wife. Investigating the headlights the next morning we discovered that not one but both headlight bulbs came out of the socket. What are the chances of that happening?

Hope you enjoyed my hunt. Take care and be safe.

NvAuMiner - Doug

post-19062-0-28376600-1381614171_thumb.jpg

Great story, very nice Buck thanks for posting!

Congratz

Tony

Nice Buck Doug ... But I have to say you are no seamstress! :) Glad you got that deer all cleaned up when you put the two halves together ... no sense grossing folks out if they aren't used to seeing a little blood ... Good job on all counts and an interesting story. Thanks for posting.---Mike F

Hey Tony and Mike Thanks.... glad you liked the hunt. LOL.... Mike, Yeah I don't want to gross anyone out

Take care

Doug

Solid buck Doug, congrats! Sounds like a great day where everything came together. Gotta love those times when things work out the way you want them to. What part of Nevada are you hunting? I've been interested in hunting NV for years but have never had any clue where to start. Congrats again!

Hey Joe,

Thanks. . . I hunt in the northern part of the state. Area 6 mostly, it includes the 06numbers. (north and east of Winnemucca where I live. I have never found the need to travel very far, as I have seen Antolope, Mule deer, Elk and Big Horn Sheep all within an hour or so from town. Ofcourse it all depends on where you draw. Nice bucks are still out there. . . you have to be willing to get off the beatin path and 4whlr to find them.

Well thanks again and take care,

Doug