Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Hunt Down Dagger Canyon

Yesterday I decided to revisit a place I hadn’t been in over ten years. I had found it by accident when hiking out of the bottom of a canyon. What originally caught my attention were several mines that had been dug along the bank of the creek. As I explored a bit more I found a flat area that had lots of broken glass and rusted out iron trash. Some of the glass was purple and blue, so I knew there was some age to the camp. I didn’t have a detector with me at the time, but I planned to come back

Well I guess it took me a little longer than expected. :) When I finally climbed my way back down this weekend I brought along the Minelab CTX 3030. I found the camp, but was disappointed to find it was a lot trashier than I had remembered. It was slow going to say the least. I did a lot of kicking and scratching at “iffy” type signals, but in the end I walked away with a few interesting relics. The coolest piece was the boot knife or dagger that I dug from a pile of rocks. There are no markings on the blade, and there is a type of twine wrapped around the handle. The quality is too good to be extremely old (I think), but it was a blast pulling it out of the ground! I also came up with a few buttons stamped OX HIDE, a small hand saw blade, a few Levi buttons, and two horseshoes. Nothing super valuable, but a great day to be out swinging a detector and soaking up the sunshine.

post-28-0-77993800-1397455570_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-06815200-1397455580_thumb.jpg

Well lets see here ... A dagger hidden in the rocks, a 'bone' saw, some old buttons all found in the same area ... sounds like a murder mystery in the making! :o:rolleyes::P

Some nice trash finds Chris!

BTW ... be heading back to AZ tomorrow ... catch up with you on Wednesday.

Mike F

Nice relics!

The Ox Hide buttons came off of work clothes made by J. C. Pennys, they filed for the trademark in Dec, of 1932, the trademark was officially registered/granted in May of 1933, I'm not sure when they stopped making the Ox Hide line, but I would guess they're most likely from the depression era or a little later.

http://www.trademark...e-71332821.html

Gold Seeker,

Thanks for the info. on those Ox Hide buttons. The 1930's seems about the right age for the site they came from. Lots of folks out in the hills back then trying to scrap out a living on gold. I'll be heading back to the site next month, hopefully I'll have a few more finds to show off. Thanks again.