Chris Gholson

Surprise from a Handstack Pile

Over the weekend I had a chance to revisit a place I hadn’t been in a really long time. At the bottom of a canyon I found several old gold mines and the remains of an old-timer camp. I know there are some nice nuggets in there waiting to be found, but the trash is extremely heavy. I decided to give it a test run with the Minelab CTX 3030 and see if I could pick any gold from the garbage. No luck on the gold, but I did score a few interesting relics. The best find was a “boot” knife that came from a hand stacked pile of rocks along the creek. There was a lot of broken purple and blue glass on the ground, but I don’t know if this knife is from that era. There are no markings and there is some type of twine material wrapped around the handle. Any thoughts on the age?

post-28-0-34707400-1397456468_thumb.jpg

Very cool stuff Chris. I really like that old boot knife. If it could talk... I wonder what stories it could tell!! I worked a hand stacked foundation a few weeks ago and all I found was some flat pieces of metal tucked in it. It kinda looked like banding material. It sure had the heart pumping when I first heard the signal. Take care .. Doug

Nice relics!

The Ox Hide buttons came off of work clothes made by J. C. Pennys, they filed for the trademark in Dec, of 1932, the trademark was officially registered/granted in May of 1933, I'm not sure when they stopped making the Ox Hide line, but I would guess they're most likely from the depression era or a little later.

http://www.trademark...e-71332821.html

Chris. The twine wrapped around the handle is most likely a makeshift repair after the original bone or wood handle broke off. Neat looking knife!---Bob