Sign in to follow this  
Montana

Getting old, selling all my stuff

Check out the classified adds . Time to call it quits for this old guy. It has been a blast for over twenty years and I found countless nuggets but the thrill of finding a nugget no longer kills the aches and pains. Time to play bingo I guess. ----Bob

Bob,

I wish you would consider keeping some of your stuff and let some of us go out with you on a paid hunt. I would be willing to pay expenses and a bit more to learn of some of your 'findings' over the years on how to spot gold.

Some of us would like to do this soon if you are up for it.

Mitchel

I have found something fun to do .Bingo really doesn't interest me. I bought a really nice old convertible and Betsy and I took a great mountain tour in the Northern Sierra and southern Cascades. We saw some incredible country in all of it's springtime glory. We have a few more trips planned over the next few months with lots of mountain roads a seacoast to explore. I have really been enjoying California these last few years. One more part of the great western experience.----Bob

Hi Bob, I sure can identify with you. I haven't hunted in over a year and I live close to Rye Patch now. Wife and I bought a place near Fallon and spend all our time in the garden. But the lure of that big back country still has a pull on me. Enjoy those mountain roads. Beats the freeways any time. Goldbug Ron

Ron . I'm thinking about expanding my garden. Let me know when the Fallon cantalopes are ripe . Best I ever had. I might plan a trip on HWy 50 and see how many i can stuff in the convertible.----Bob

Hey Bob... I sure understand ... I pretty much live in constant pain too and all the meds the Drs. keep recommending don't seem to help ... Get down to dig a target and have a real hard time getting back up ... But I'm not quitting yet, just put a longer handle on my pick to help, but just not getting out as much ... Competition around here has got bad and I don't want to work this like a day job just to beat someone else to a patch ... Hope you can find something that replaces the gold chase ... Keep us all posted on how you're doing ... Cheers, Ron

That's bad new Bob, we all get old and it does come on quick. Hope you find something to replace the GOLD FEVER that will keep you going strong for a few more decades. All the best from Australia.

Bob we still think of you down here in Australia, Halls Creek had a massive wet season this year so there is grass up to the wazoo I hear, a lot of colour must have got shifted around though. The flatter country is much better for tired bones, you must miss your desert country?

Regards

JP

Many nuggets just breathed a giant sigh or relief. :)

Enjoy the drives Bob! Road trips without a destination has always been a favorite pastime of mine.

The Hearts of Gold crop ( Fallon cantaloupe) is going to suffer greatly this year water allotments have been cut to 45%, most will wither on the vine :(

Yeah Bob I know how that goes,just had my left hip replaced last week and my sampling and prospecting days are over with..Just been panning out and evaluating hardrock samples for the past 4 years orso.I enjoyed your ventures and finds over the years.

Bob and Chris, Never fear, I will have a nice crop of Fallon melons this summer. I will let you know when they are coming ripe. Goldbug Ron

Hey Bob .... Sorry to hear ... but certainly understand the aches and pains ... have a few more aches than I did a few years ago when I first met you ... we all get older but I'm still going when I can ... a HUGE thank you goes out to you for all the patience you showed me during my early learning years ... still learning though. Those few trips with you around the LSD area before you moved to CA sure helped with the learning curve. I will be eternally grateful for all your help and advise ... enjoy the road trips. I'm about to embark on my annual kayak fishing trip back east come this Thursday. I guess that little 3000 mile jaunt will be my road trip for now!

Mike F

Hi Bob. I know you are feeling and getting older. But I am not going to let you stop getting out detecting. That was nice gold you had last week. It's too deep in your blood and your too good at it.

You can use my equipment anytime and I will even dig for you. I just enjoy being out with you too much to have you stop. What have you found 50000 nuggets about? Well there are some more with your name on them.

No matter what I am so thankfull and lucky to beable to have had all the great trips I have had with you. You are the best around the campfire. Greatest stories one will ever hear. Mikey, Steve and I are going to get on some nice gold this week from that area I told you about. I know once you see some nice nuggets you will have to get back out.

Till the next time Bob rest up a little but don't think you are not getting back out at times.

Your Friend,

Mark Greyshock

Hey Bob ... Your post last night got me all fired up for a hunt today ... Got out to LSD and covered around 10 miles, but never got my 4500 out of its case ... It is getting more difficult, but there's nothing better than wandering the desert, smelling the Palo Verde, Jojoba and Horney Toads in bloom ... They will find me partially eaten, but with a smile on my face out Happy Ridge or some such place ... This stuff is too big in the blood to ultimately get through the veins ... Cheers, Unc

post-43-0-41970000-1400572705_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-26919400-1400572740_thumb.jpg

Bob (and Betsy), camping and nugget hunting with you will always be amongst some of my finest prospecting memories. Best of luck in your new adventures and I sure hope to see that convertible in our driveway sometime.

Steve , Mark, Mikey. Good luck this week . Maybe I'll change my mind if you guys score big. I drove through that country last week and the geology screamed gold--Bob

OLd age does come on quick. I think what really got me was a fairly minor surgery back in November. During the two months of recovery I got out of shape and I just can't seem to get back in shape at this stage. I could still go out and pound an easy patch and get a few nuggets, but what I always loved to do was explore for new ground and that requires the kind of stamina that I just don't have anymore. I'm not whining, I knew it had to happen at some point. There is no way around it.----Bob

Bob,

It makes my heart sad to know that old man time is working on you to retire on swinging, but I want you to know that you are my mentor. I have read all your post and the email that you sent me was worth its weight in gold with the help I needed back a few years back. I for one am grateful for all your help.

Brent In Montana

#4 Montana

Advanced Member

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

I have found something fun to do .Bingo really doesn't interest me. I bought a really nice old convertible and Betsy and I took a great mountain tour in the Northern Sierra and southern Cascades. We saw some incredible country in all of it's springtime glory. We have a few more trips planned over the next few months with lots of mountain roads a seacoast to explore. I have really been enjoying California these last few years. One more part of the great western experience.----Bob

Sounds like you have the right idea Bob. I love road tripping with my wife and wiener dogs! There is a lot of great country out there to see and explore. There is nothing more important than spending time with the ones we love. Best wishes.

Keep the light-weight Gold Bug. Take the box off the stem and mount it to your belt. Use the small coil to get in between trash.

Here is my tip. Find a young curious kid to dig your targets. All you have to do is point where to dig. Heck it don't matter what you find. Coins, junk, toys. It doesn't matter if it is your neighbor, your grandchild, a stranger at the park. Pass on the fever, they will remember you forever.

No weight and no bending over. Think about it. You will never find a lighter detector than the gold bug with the box off and the small coil.

We all know this hobby isn't easy. At some point we will all have to make this decision when the risk is not worth the reward. Sounds like Bob has the right idea. Time to spend more time with the love of your life. Enjoy some travel and maybe get some more fishing in. Dennis