Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

First Go With The Minelab SDC 2300

So is this the new Goldbug or GMT defeater? Being a Minelab site I noticed Steve was careful not to mention any of the other "most used" VLF brands. :D

The purpose of the blog entry was to talk about the SDC, not trash talk the competition. I have a GMT and Gold Bug 2 and consider them to be great VLF nugget detectors. I do not see the SDC as "defeating" them and I certainly am not ditching either of them just because I am getting a SDC.

The purpose of the blog entry was to talk about the SDC, not trash talk the competition. I have a GMT and Gold Bug 2 and consider them to be great VLF nugget detectors. I do not see the SDC as "defeating" them and I certainly am not ditching either of them just because I am getting a SDC.

No no, no… not trash talking them… using what you normally use vs. the Eureka. I've read a lot of your reviews and experiences and I don't believe you've ever mentioned regularly using a Eureka or ever owning one. However I have read quite a bit on you using the Gold Bugs and/or the GMT and you've stated that those are definite mainstays in your detector toy box and receive frequent use.

Don't sweat it, you were posting on a Minelab site, it wouldn't have been kosher to say what you normally use for the small stuff, and then try to compare it to the new Minelab. ;)

Aha! Well, what I say is "will grab something like a Eureka Gold set up in 60 kHz mode." Something like perhaps a Gold Bug 2 or White's GMT!

There is such a thing as being politically correct. But I was simply illustrating a point so the particular high frequency VLF detector does not matter. The reality is I have used and found gold with the XT17000, American Gold Striker, XT 18000, and Eureka Gold. The XT 17000 was my favorite and I just never warmed much to the newer versions and passed on them fairly quickly. The Eureka in 60 kHz mode just seems to lack the edge that the GMT or Gold Bug 2 provide. You never hear anyone seriously mentioning the Eureka in the same breath along with the other two. I have long lobbied Minelab along with others for a true high frequency VLF as I believe the Eureka is optimized to run at 20 kHz. Too heavy anyway and expensive for a VLF - wouldn't a 60 KHz X-Terra be a killer unit?

Nice thing about the SDC is there is no need to hype it up. It is going to sell itself. Obviously a lot of people will tell themselves they can't afford it. It is a pretty penny and I get that. But I do not see how any proficient nugget hunter who has many ounces under their belt already could not lay hands on a SDC and pay for it pretty quickly. Let's figure say, three ounces to cover one? Well, starting June 15 I will see just how long it takes me to find three ounces with the SDC.

Let's figure say, three ounces to cover one? Well, starting June 15 I will see just how long it takes me to find three ounces with the SDC.

Looking forward to the write up. I don't know if you would consider the ATX in the same class, but it would be interesting to compare the two, since they are both marketed as compact PI's. ;)

Thanks Steve… just the info I was looking for. Hmmmm… wonder if Whites has anything up their sleeves for a compact PI?

White's has really disappointed me. I was expecting a new waterproof PI about two years ago. I know Carl was working on one. It was on, it was off, it was on again... and then nothing. Now Carl has left White's and sadly with Dan Guyer's passing I really wonder what the heck is going on in Sweet Home. Seems like the last couple years they have offered nothing but simplified versions of more capable detectors. Hopefully something is in the works but I am not holding my breath any longer. Now that both Garrett and Minelab beat them to the punch I do not know any more if it even matters. I am far more interested in seeing what Fisher has cooking in the way if a PI.

I'm still kinda new to this hobby/business, so before investing the $$$ in the latest and greatest Minelab PI (not knowing if I would like gold detecting), I chose instead to go with the Whites TDI Pro and GMT. I got both for less than the cost of a used SD2000. I figured that would be a good combination of a PI and a VLF to start with, and would offer me the best chance of finding gold on a beginning prospectors budget. So far I haven't found any, but I attribute that to the nature of my "wildcat prospecting" and lack of sufficient time behind the coil. It will all come together in due time. However… with what seems like yearly advancements in detector technologies, and with all these cool new toys coming out, sometimes I feel like I'm being left in the dust.

Just keep all the reviews coming… I enjoy reading your "boots on the ground" commentaries on all the latest and greatest equipment. Unfortunately my common sense tells me to get fully proficient with the tools I have now before wanting more… but it is always nice drool over the new stuff. ;)

Throwing more money at detectors is not a good idea as long as you have capable units. Detectors do not find gold, prospectors find gold. You have two very good detectors so just stick with it. Main thing is to try and get on better ground and then LOTS of hours. Best wishes for a big nugget soon!

Off to Alaska in the morning - long drive and a couple stops along the way so I will be a bit scarce for awhile.

Steve And AZBLACKBIRD. I have seen quite a bit of variation right from the factory on the XT17000 and the XT18000 as far as sensitivity goes . I have 2 friends who have XT18000s that will give the GB2s a run for the money but most of them won't. One of these guys has 4 XT18000s but only one of the units is comparable to the GB2. I have seen the same thing with the XT17000. I would suspect that the Eureka is the same since it is basicly the same platform.----Bob

You know Bob, the point you made is the dirty little secret of the detecting world that no doubt accounts for a lot if the disparity reported by detector users as regards performance. Detector components have allowable variances that usually average out but which sometimes can all add up the wrong way and you get a poor unit. Poor calibration can be a problem. Coils can be a real big problem even if the control box is good. Lack of tight quality control let's sub standard units hit the market.

How many people have or have used detectors not performing to full spec and have formed opinions based on that. Chances are it has happened to me.