Hi Everyone,

I had the opportunity to do some testing yesterday with Minelab’s newest SDC 2300. I need to log more hours on the unit, but thus far I can say I am impressed. I took it to one of my old nugget patches here in central AZ that has been walked across many times before. This particular spot has some really nasty sections of mineralized ground which is a mixture of red clay, granites, schist, and lots of surface ironstone. I started off with the Mode Switch in the 2 position and had zero trouble getting a ground balance. I kept pushing the level until I hit a 4. This was the cutoff point and offered a good balance between background noise and stability. It behaved very similar to my GPX 5000, so there was essentially no learning curve. The verdict is still out on the amount of depth penetration, but I will say the sensitivity to tiny targets is awesome! I dug five targets from the patch and all of them were incredibly small. There was a tiny lead BB and several shards of decomposed tin can, all of which had been missed before. I did squeeze out my very first SDC gold nugget and it was actually the biggest target of the day. It weighed in at a whopping 0.2-grams! OK, maybe noting to write home about, but gold is gold, and the fact that it came from an old patch was certainly noteworthy. The only thing I struggled with a bit was the coil design. The angle (or position) at which it sits on the lower shaft is a bit odd, but I think in time it is one of those things a person can get used to. I will be doing a lot more testing in the days to come, but so far I think Minelab has once again produced an incredible PI gold machine.

Here is a clip of me digging out my very first SDC nugget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjslmDHtQY4&list=UUWj4jZ-MJUoBokLk84vATNw

While you dudes are out hammering the bejiggles out of old busted and disgusted patches with your four thousand dollar gold bug 2s I will be popping 4 and six ounce nuggs with my old gp extreme that I paid 1900.00 for 15 years ago

Hey Pard,

The purpose of hitting the old patch was simply to test out the new technology on ground that I knew had produced and been hunted in the past. Of course I didn't expect a 6-ounce nugget, I was happy with the small crumb I was able to squeeze out. Besides July isn't exactly the time of year to go out exploring new ground in Arizona.

Keep up the good work with your Extreme, it sounds like it has been a great machine.

great video chris, congrats on the first gold with the new SDC, i like the fact that you did try it out in a well worked area and it found gold missed by all the other machines that had been through before.

Way to go Chris! Your set up & ground balance vid shows this to be an easy to use machine. Might be a great first PI detector, easy transition from a VLF.

Chris -

I found a setting of 4 on the gain to be just about right for the area I was hunting in Northern CA as well.

I also agree on the scoop thing - when you are hunting through for those tiny targets, it just seems like the scoop is a faster, easier way to go.

Those small ones do add up, and sometimes you can follow little ones into extensions of patches that were not recognized before.

Nice little nug. The coil being off to the side like that and the square shaft seems a little wierd but obviously it works. Good job Chris.

Dan

Hi Chris,

I am curious about the recharge time for the "c" batteries?

Probably not as fast as the li-on batteries of the GPX?

Still issues with typing messages here...

Thanks!

Gary

Chris (Gholson), have you had a chance to try the SDC 2300 on your patch you found years ago? From memory it was hundreds of sub grammars scattered around a flat at the head of a small gully/drainage area. You and Joe Kaufman had a ball there pinging heaps and heaps of little bits every time you visited the place. I'd have thought that spot would have to be brilliant for the SDC, although probably a little hot temps wise at the moment.

JP

Nice video Chris. I like the ground level shots even it they were just because you needed two hands. Very interesting detector. I could definitely see myself using one because I like to pack into remote areas. Stuffing all the GPX parts into a backpack is a bit of a pain.