Hello all, I took off by myself today for bit of walking and detecting. I got up late and that should have been my warning as to how the day would go. Deb dropped me off and I headed down the dirt road to the trail. I planned on going up a canyon and detecting bedrock, and when finished I would crawl up the canyon walls and cut through the manzanita to get up high on the ridge. From there I could call Deb and walk out to the road to get picked up. Well, before I hit the canyon things started to go bad. I took my shortcut down into the canyon via a small wash that was ok last time I came in to the area. This time all was well until I almost got to the bottom, then I heard all the snakes saying hello. My fault, I was on the sunny side of the canyon, morning and the beginnings of a hot day. I never seen a snake but it sounded like there might have been four or five.

After getting into the clear I headed up the creek bed. I was moving through some bushes and a branch caught up and smacked me right in the face. Oh no, it couldn't be a regular shrub, it had to be stinging nettle. That was fun. I moved on and dug a few targets that turned out to be lead. I decided to go up into the canyon and hunt. I got to a spot that I had detected last year up about forty feet on a side bench. I got one piece almost immediately that turned out to be almost a pennyweight. As I went to pick up my 3000 I caught something out of the corner of my eye moving. I was on the edge of the bench and lost my footing right when the rattlesnake struck at me. The snake had so much force in the strike that he went over the edge with me, detector and all. My finger got slammed against some rocks on the way down and I got a skin tear on my butt about about a foot long. The snake had come to a stop a few feet to the right of me, right where I could nail him with the first big rock I could get my hands on, and I did.

With that ordeal over I took a short break, that was when I found out why my pack felt so light, my ice tea bottles were all still at the house. I moved up the creek to a spot where a small gully entered the main stream and got some cold water. As I was sitting down and looking at the bedrock just in front of me I saw what I thought was a piece of gold. I kind of leaned over to look better and picked up the piece of gold. I decided that I better turn the 3000 on and go over this small area of bedrock and see if there was anymore gold.

Well... there might be more gold in that spot, but I was not going to get it with a broken coil. My Sadie is gone.... No detector, no water, getting hotter, ass is hurting, and I still have walk out of here. And... oh hell, where is my pick? Well, I did get two nuggets for about two hours. Thanks, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

post-197-0-43670700-1404085895_thumb.jpg post-197-0-72848600-1404085909_thumb.jpg post-197-0-60834000-1404085925_thumb.jpg post-197-0-46922200-1404085938_thumb.jpg

Ray,

Now I have had some pretty bad days out detecting, but your story makes my experiences look like a walk in the park! Thank god you survived the ordeal! I know it must have been horrible but I will admit that I laughed out loud when I read the part about the rattler coming down straight on top of you. If we could have caught that on film it would have gotten a million views by the end of the week! :D

I read the bit about you losing your favorite Nugget Finder Sadie coil, so.....next week I am going to send you a brand new coil absolutely Free! You have been a great personal friend and contributor to the AZO forum over the years. I appreciate all you do and am really glad you survived Sunday. Get some rest ;)

One heck of an adventure out detecting ray glad you survived the trip, just goes to show know matter how well you you plan a trip out somethings came come out of the blue to make it a very exciting adventure, thanks for sharing glad to see it ended well.

Wow Ray, I'm glad your ok, those were some very close calls. Did you get that target you left last time. Too bad I was on call this weekend, I could have video'd the whole experience.

Quite a day Ray, Hope you've been waring your "snake guardz" down there… if you would of gotten bit it would have been a very different story…

Stay Safe !

Wow, what a day. Thanks for not sending a picture of the skin tear! Nice gold, Chris, very nice gesture. The stories are great keep them coming.

Wow Ray, interesting day to say the least. A little eye candy and great story, Thanks, Shep

Gee whiz… what a story. I'm assuming the rattler you're holding in your hand are the left over remnants of your encounters, or did you live and let live?

WOW... Holy Cow... Man, that's a day to reflect on and bed a knee to give thanks for the safe return to Deb. Thanks for sharing Ray, that story sure gives us all a heads up on how quick things can happen. Wish you a safer trip next time...

Hello all, yes it was quite a morning. Today was probably the first time that I have been out by myself in almost a year.

Chris................................WOW and a great big Thank You!

Scott................................No, that target does sound good though.

Gerard............................No, I normally do not wear them, however I use to move a lot quicker too, age is creeping up on me.Those are the buttons from that snake. Normally I do not kill them unless they are going to be a danger near a picnic table

or play area for kids. Even then I use to try and relocate them but I have not had that situation come up recently.

Thanks all, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Wow Ray, I am glad you are okay and were able to walk out of there without a rattlesnake bite or broken bones from your spill!...That scratch on your butt will heal and remind you of your adventure looking for the yellow metal!...Great story and be careful.....Tyrie

wow what an adventure

you survived it thats what counts

aint gold hunting fun :D

Hey Ray ... We having fun yet? glad to hear all came out well in the end! Nice gift from Chris too! But he is rtight ... Your contributions to the forum and even my education especially on the GB Pro has been above and beyond! Thanks!

Mike F

Thanks guys, and Mike I was hoping to get a rise out of you. I had visions of a giant Striper pulling your kayak around and around in circles. Had not heard from you for a while. Take care. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Well Ray, that story kind of reminds me of the old Hee Haw joke about falling out of a plane and landing in a hay stack, and of course all the events in between. Days like that challenge us and remind us to keep our guard up especially when out alone. To have a day like that and still find gold says a lot about the man. Congratulations on successfully returning alive and popping out a couple nuglets as well. Dennis