KidGold

New MineLab-6500 PureGold PI-Detector

New MineLab-6500 PureGold PI Detector – IS IT FINALLY HERE?

Am I the only one, or have others Metal Detector Prospectors noticed that a lot of Prospecting Supply Stores are really pushing great deals in the last couple of months in an attempt to sell their remaining stock of MineLab-5000 Metal Detectors? I remember back in June of 2010 just 4-months prior to my purchasing my brand new MineLab-5000 on September 2010. That I was told by every Prospecting Stores that there was no such thing as a MineLab-5000 in the works, nor was one coming out. I was told this by five different stores throughout the United States. However, I was offered every kind of deal on the market to persuade me to purchase a MineLab-4000. How ever my gut feeling told me to wait a couple more months to be sure. Boy was I grateful that I listened to my gut feelings. I waited a couple more months and guess what? Out of no where, “POOF,” the MineLab-5000 that I had inquired so much about just appeared out of thin air. Again - Am I the only one, or have others Metal Detector Prospectors noticed that a lot of Prospecting Supply Stores are really pushing great deals in the last couple of months in an attempt to sell their remaining stock of MineLab-5000 Metal Detectors? “Inquiring Nugget Shooter Minds Want To Know.”

Hi KidGold,

I personally think you are seeing more deals being offered not because a new GPX is about to be released, but rather because this is the slowest time of year for the industry; especially western dealers. I would guess the shops are pushing hard to cover costs through the lean summer months. There is absolutely no doubt that Minelab will release another gold machine in the future, but is it 6 months, a year, or even longer is anyone's guess. Minelab keeps that sort of thing close to their chest and dealers typically only find out a few weeks in advance. An all-gold machine would be awesome, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I think we are much more likely to see a water-proof unit with a new display, or a brand new "body". I hope I am wrong and we do see an all-gold unit because there are lots of trashy spots that I would love to hunt without getting an overload signal every swing.

My thoughts on most electronic stuff: If we were able to land on the moon 45 years ago, then we can probably (fill in the blank). Yeah, I bet if you put a bunch of electronics nerds in a room and gave them unlimited $$$, they could make a gold-only detector. One of these years, it'll happen.

Of course a gold only detector is possible. There are many experienced prospectors who are very accurate at discerning whether a signal is gold or trash just by the sound of the target, but even they say that you should dig most targets. A large overload signal could be anything and a huge nugget and a horseshoe will sound about the same to the best trained ears. If a human ear can learn the difference to some degree, a computer could be built that could also tell the difference at least as reliably if not much better. It will happen within a few years. Discriminators are okay but not hearing the trash at all would of course be much better.---Bob

I agree with Bob. A gold only detector is possible. I am not an EE, but after many discussions with several I know and a few that have their masters in the field, it could be possible. What Bob said about identifying signals via the audio sounds could be accomplished by replacing the audio sounds with a signal processor unit to do that job for you instead of relying on audio sounds. It would require a signal-processing expert to design and accomplish the task.

Also, given we have different technologies out there that we use to detect metals with by using phase sampling (VLF), and timing sampling methods using (Pulse Induction), we have one more technology out there that can use a frequency sampling method. I believe Minelab has this technology patented, I am not sure. Using rectangular wave, we can measure and identify sign wave out to several harmonics, which gives more ability to gather more information about a target signal. From what I've been told, it would also require a totally different transmit and receiving design antenna used for frequency sampling method.

They said that with all these technologies mentioned above that makes perfection and tweaking a detecter most difficult would be the ground mineralization problem in every case. That seems to be the big obstacle with every metal detector being designed. Other significant designed criteria already being used in other devices today such as in our cell phones by using surface accoustic wave filters (SAW) could also be implemented in a detector design to help penetrate the ground by chirping the transmitted signals then recieving them back. This would help enhance significant performance in our detecters like in our cell phones for better performance reception. Of course the obstacle here would be the price it would cost in buying that detecter.

I agree with Bob. A gold only detector is possible. I am not an EE, but after many discussions with several I know and a few that have their masters in the field, it could be possible. What Bob said about identifying signals via the audio sounds could be accomplished by replacing the audio sounds with a signal processor unit to do that job for you instead of relying on audio sounds. It would require a signal-processing expert to design and accomplish the task.

Also, given we have different technologies out there that we use to detect metals with by using phase sampling (VLF), and timing sampling methods using (Pulse Induction), we have one more technology out there that can use a frequency sampling method. I believe Minelab has this technology patented, I am not sure. Using rectangular wave, we can measure and identify sign wave out to several harmonics, which gives more ability to gather more information about a target signal. From what I've been told, it would also require a totally different transmit and receiving design antenna used for frequency sampling method.

They said that with all these technologies mentioned above that makes perfection and tweaking a detecter most difficult would be the ground mineralization problem in every case. That seems to be the big obstacle with every metal detector being designed. Other significant designed criteria already being used in other devices today such as in our cell phones by using surface accoustic wave filters (SAW) could also be implemented in a detector design to help penetrate the ground by chirping the transmitted signals then recieving them back. This would help enhance significant performance in our detecters like in our cell phones for better performance reception. Of course the obstacle here would be the price it would cost in buying that detecter.

Why do you use such small print? Us older folks have a hard time reading it. Probably even the younger ones can not read it.

I agree Clark, I can't even read it myself.

I was saying that I agree with Bob that a gold only detecter is possible. I am not a EE, but after many discussions with several I know and some who have their masters in the field, have said it was possible also. What Bob said about identifying certain audio signal sounds by just using the trained ear can also be accomplished by incorporating a signal processing unit to do the same job instead of relying on just audio sound. It would require a signal processing expert to design and accomplish the task.

Also, given we have different technologies out there that we use to detect metals with by using phase sampling (VLF), and timing sampling methods by using (Pulse Induction), we have one more technology out there that can use a frequency sampling method. I believe Minelab has this technolgy patented, but I'm not sure. Using rectangular wave, we can measure and identify sign wave out to several harmonics which allows greater ability to gather more information about a target signal response. From what I've been told, it would also require a totally different transmit and recieving design antenna used for frequency sampling method.

They said with all these technologies mentioned above that makes designing and tweaking detecters most difficult, is the ground mineralization in every case. That seems to be a big obstacle with any detector being designed. Other significant design critera out there being used in other devices today such as our cell phones using surface accoustic wave filters (SAW) could also be implemented in a detecter design to help penetrate the ground by chirping the transmitted signals then recieving them back. This would help also enhance significant performance in our detecters like in our cell phones for better reception. Of course, the obstacle here would be the price tag it would cost in buying that detecter.