Six weeks plus a week for travel seemed a long time.But before i knew it was over,like they say time flies when your having fun.We left out of Erlistoun station some 40 k's north of Laverton.There was 12 in the group.seven quads one side by and two support trucks pulling trailers.The Quads all pulled trailers also.Nine guys and three gals all well seasoned prospectors,I guess that means salt pepper and herbs already added.We traveled 1220 kilometers or 738 miles in 6 weeks.We headed way north past know gold areas.After 8 days of no gold we decided to drop are search for unknown areas and drop south to better ground.It looked good up north and we hit it hard on faults and contact zones but after 8 days of moving camp daily and hitting spots still no gold.These guys were use to find gold daily so they were going nuts.I told them I was use to it i never find gold.On the ninth day I found 2 nuggets,a 3 gram'r and a .8gram.one other sub gram bit was found plus a 5.5 Ironstone speci with 7+ grams of gold.Gold was found daily from there on.We ended up with 623 nuggets and 30+ speci's for 16.5 oz'sWe were to split the gold so every one was to get 47+grams there was 11 of us ,We let one guy go after 4 weeks gave him 20 grams and sent him on his way.I had found 59 grams so i was to give up 12 grams.Link and Kim who run the tour chipped in the 12 grams for me out of their gold so I could keep all I found.What great people they are!All in all a good trip and learning experience. Ready to roll post-46604-0-67056400-1409105709_thumb.jpg way up north Prenti downs post-46604-0-16680200-1409105834_thumb.jpg post-46604-0-05319400-1409105959_thumb.jpg first gold on ninth day post-46604-0-74659900-1409106063_thumb.jpg Two from the cap rock,one still in some cap post-46604-0-78469000-1409106148_thumb.jpg Me and Elvis headed down the trackpost-46604-0-36269500-1409106242_thumb.jpg post-46604-0-54448000-1409106363_thumb.jpg A 7 gram nug post-46604-0-51780000-1409106445_thumb.jpg speci not alot of gold post-46604-0-38879800-1409106535_thumb.jpg speci gold post-46604-0-99513900-1409106608_thumb.jpg My Biggest 20 grampost-46604-0-63850100-1409106664_thumb.jpg Everyones take post-46604-0-36695100-1409106824_thumb.jpg

Mitchel i don;t know if they will ever do one like this again,6 weeks that is.It was one of their good friends idea to go look for lasseters reef,he passed of cancer before they ever went so his wife and daughter came on the trip and it was dedecated to him.We looked some for lasseters or are own reef,then we just detected for gold instead.They usually run one week tours from may to sept.last year i went on two one week tours.Check out their web page WA Gold Tours .

Kelly:

Great post man. You sure got the trip of a life time there :)

Congrats on finding gold and kudos for those other guys for stepping up and letting you keep it.

Glad you were able to do something like this.

Tom H.

Great Trip Kelly ... beautiful gold and a trip of a lifetime ... or it would be for me! Just a curiousity why is the dog muzzled ... I would think out in the back country you would want the dog to be able to protect itself if need be.Like I said just curious.

Mike F

Mike they muzzle their dogs because of 1080 the poison they still use there for dingo's.They had lost dogs from it in the past ,They remove the muzzles in camp,This dog Elvis would jump off as soon as she could to exsplore so she was pre muzzled.They have to worry about snakes when its warmer also,they lost one this year to a brown snake.

Thanks Kelly ... Thought I read somewhere about poisoning the dingos ... never gave it a thought with the domestic dogs. Yup ... Elvis is like my Lab 'Max' ... he'll jump off the RZR every time we stopped for a half second if I didn't have a safety rope on him. He sure loves to explore ... but then again that is why he got snake bit this Spring ... Full recovery however ... thankfully!

Mike

Bughunter I had the same problem with their web sight www.wagoldtours.com.au,They sold their store in Mudgee so they could consentrate on the quad bike tours.they go out of Erlistoun station now.their email is linckim@hotmail.com.

I ran a 17" NF elip most the time,i wanted to run a 14" but because we were prospecting new ground they wanted me to swing the 17".The ones using 14's found more nuggets but they were small ones mostly,they were working scrapes and know areas.My job was to try and exspand the areas.I did swing a 12" round in some salty ground,It had been chained but with the 12" I found several small nuggets the ones with 14"s found lots also, we took 60+ nuggets out of the chained area it was even cross chained in places,So don't let chain marks scare you off. I used the 8" sadie to sqeeze a few nuggets out of the creeks and to get some crumbs of speci's in some reef holes. A few were swinging 18" or 20" round monos and they did well.There is alot of open ground were the bigger coils work well,and on the deeper ground in the low areas were the big nugs hide they are the ones to swing. I was surprised at how small some nugs were I found with the 17". post-46604-0-95189200-1409423385_thumb.jpg

Hey Kelly looks and sounds like it was a great trip, thanks for sharing some photos and your personal observations of your trip, congrats on your gold.

Hi Kelly,

I meant to reply earlier, but I've been battling this flu for the past few days. I really loved reading your story and seeing the photos, which brought back a lot of good memories from the Outback. It looks like a great adventure that produced some nice nuggets and some new friends. Thanks for sharing with us - it's good to have you back in AZ! ;)

Hey Kelly

Love the story's and pics also sounds like you had fun and time does fly when that happens. Hopefully well get together at the next outing this winter and find some gold and can't wait to hear some more stories from down under. Talk soon Rick.