Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Ron

Mexican Gray Wolf in AZ?

Yo, All... It's not unusual for us to see coyotes around our property on nearly a daily basis ... But for the last couple weeks we've been having a new one show up that is more aggressive and less fearful than the others have been for the past 15 years ... It has a dark gray, nearly black back and is a lot stockier that the normally lean guys we are familiar with ... Last night I stumbled on a program on TV that was talking about the Mexican Gray Wolf ... The wolves they showed looked an awful lot alike our new visitor ... In doing a little internet research I found that they have been reintroduced in to the N. Mex and AZ area ... On the maps it show the Wickenburg and Bradshaw Mtns. area as the top of their known range ... I can't be 100% certain but it sure does look exactly like the guy in the photo below ... Anybody else around here ever seen one???? Cheers, Unc

Attached Thumbnails

• post-9-0-98174800-1416014411_thumb.jpg
  • post-9-0-49122600-1416014460_thumb.jpg

Ron, just like up here in the bighorns of Wyoming since they reintroduced wolves into Yellowstone they have migrated east to our side of the state but game and fish will tell you they are not here.( cool tail hanger rat you got there)

Well they aren't supposed to be over in that area and they are like most wolves and prefer to live in packs. Usually they look like a large German Shepherd so considerably larger than a coyote. Certainly similar in coloration they might look like a coyote on steroids. They aren't supposed to be over here by Payson in the Mogollon RIm area yet either, but I know a couple people that swear they have seen them up on the rim.

I myself find the eyes to be a good indicator. Wolves tend to have a particular appearance in their eyes. Dennis

Yo, Dennis ... I haven't seen this one up close, maybe 50 yards away ... It comes up to the brush bordering our back yard and antagonizes my dog, Shadow Patch, but trots away when I go out to check on the ruckus ... Seems always to follow the same path ... It is much stockier than the coyotes we have here ... Patch weighs about 75 lbs and I'm guessing this critter is at least that big or maybe a little more ...Cheers, Unc

Ron,

Let's hope it's not, there have not been any reported sightings that far from the transplant area. In the last couple of weeks, there was a cross breed sighted towards Flagstaff; I believe they are trying to determine now if it was a cross with one of the reintroduced wolves or not. I have seen wolves in the wild and if you know coyotes well, there is no comparison. I'm sure you've seen your share of coyotes out your way so there won't be any question if you do. They are substantially larger, more block shaped nose and a more square face. Mature adults are around 30" tall and can be 5 - 5 1/2 feet long. I have seen some really interesting colored coyotes including some almost black, if you see your new buddy again try to snap a photo, I'd love to see it.

Yo Joe, when he shows up next time I'll try to get a photo ... It's definitely different thant the coyotes that are here virtually every day ... Husky and beefier than the others that are so familiar to us ... Patch acts differently too ... He growls and maybe barks a little at the neighborhood coyotes, but this dark one he goes nuts over ... Something out of the ordinary for sure... Cheers, Unc