Anyone have any new info on this topic? I'm in the market for boots because my Merrill hikers have metal on the top lace holder and it's creating a fair bit of falsing that is driving me crazy. I've looked at the 5.11 and Bates sites but would really like to see them in person before buying and that's gonna mean a road trip since nobody has these here in Yuma. A friend had some Under Armour metal free boots from Big 5 but they blew out a sole after a month or so of MDing the local deserts so I don't want to go cheap unless it's quality. Thanks.

I will be honest with ya, all my boots have metal eyes. I seriously haven't had a problem unless I detect right at my feet. It just don't bother me I guess. But I buy Danner boots. A little more spendy but they last forever and are very comfortable.

Thanks for the Danner update nugget108, there are 2 places that carry Danner in Yuma according to their website so that saves me a long road trip. Equipment wise the footwear is almost as important as the detector if you spend much time hunting. Thanks again and happy hunting.

I bought a pair of Danners last Jan. They lasted about 3 weeks before a sole started to come off. I took them back and they told me that's what you expect with boots made in China. I now have Wolverines. Not what I really like but a 4 hour dive to Cabelas <_<

They have brass eyelets and I have no problems with a PI machine

Yeah they are just like everything else nowadays, they have their China crud and they have their USA stuff. The usa stuff is built in Oregon and has a warranty. But like I said, they are spendy. I buy mine for deer and elk hunting but use them for long detecting days also.

I usually buy mountaineering boot at around $300. Just haven't found a good pair in a few years. They never bothered a VLF. Haven't tried a PI on them.

Using the New GPZ, I've had to go with completely non-metal boots because the coil is just that much more sensitive. I settled on Keen Detroit Mid boots available at many sporting good stores. After over a dozen days in them so far I'm very happy with the comfort and everything else.

Love my Keen Sandals I use on the kayak ... didn't know they had dipped their feet into metal free boots. Worth a look for sure. Opps ... Just took a look ... ankle high boots just don't cut it for me ... I need and want the additional support of a full sized boot ... I guess I will keep looking for a replacement for my New Balance and Converse boots!

Mike, I think ankle high boots have more support than a full size boot.

I have torn ligaments in one ankle and continued to turn my ankle with full height boots until I switched to ankle high (6"?) boots. Not a turned ankle in 40 years. I wear boots 365 days a year and there isn't a day I don' need them.

HI everyone. I like my 992MTN boots from New Balance. They are completely metal free and super light. I also have a very bad ankle and used to wear an ankle brace to keep it from rolling out or in. The tendons were torn years ago allowing it to roll either direction without hardly any uneven surface being involved. These NB Boots havn't allowd it to twist yet. (Thanks Mike F. for the info a couple of years back). I also must wear safety boots daily for work and I've found the Bates boots to be the most comfortable in loose rocks, but they do have metal in them.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Ankle boots offer me absolutely no support ... have tried them before and they are junk for me ... if they work for you great. Mike F

Bill ... You are welcome ... trouble is they are not made anymore or my problem would be solved. I think Reboc makes the Converse and New Balance style boots. They changed the pattern for the foot support ... their arch is way to high for me and for the size that fits me the arch starts too far forward. Strange feet I have but they are mine!

Mike F

Went to a local shoe store here in Yuma and got a pair of Keen Detroit Mids. I need the extra ankle support thanks to an old ice hockey break that causes problems. Verified no metal with the Garrett Pro Pointer which the sales people thought was kinda funny but enjoyed watching. I'll be headed out to the hunting grounds for the next 2 days so I'll have some hours on them and can report back then. Thanks for all the opinions and updates. I was wanting that New Balance boot but like Bill said, they don't make it anymore. Oh well. HH all.

Please do give us a report. I would also like to know which Yuma store sells those boots. If you think they're good I would like to go in and try some on. Hope you find some gold while you break them in. :-)

New boots are awesome and it was great not detecting myself. Didn't make it out yesterday due to high winds but got in a solid 5 hours in a wash and some billy goat hills today. Lead nuggets and wire but no gold. I've got wide feet and got the EE version but have no complaints, no sore spots and that was out of the box.

Dick Ward, I picked mine up at a place called Foothills Shoes in the "old" Frys shopping center next to Da Boyz, 11274 S Fortuna Rd. If you're in the area they've had a $10 off coupon the last 2 days in the Yuma Sun. Hopefully I'll get that skunk, I mean new shoe smell off tomorrow when I'm out. Good luck hunting for boots and gold.