Redbeard

VLF with decent discriminator?

I've been thinking about getting a VLF to compliment my GPX 4500. Mostly for packing into remote areas and possibly using in shallow but high trash areas. I never use the discriminator on my PI detectors but I've heard VLFs are more reliable. I kind of like the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq if for no other reason than they have a great warranty and they are right here in Prescott. I'd like to hear some feedback from people who have used various VLFs and especially if you have used the discriminator much.

Thanks, Chris

Lobo is my back up dect. to my atx. Just took it in to Tesoro factory in Prescot on Vet. day, bad move, to many parades and blocked off streets. Got it all tuned up and back in 3 days, no charge. Great service. Disc. works fine but I dig all targets, I don't trust any of em. Later Happy Huntin

If you are hunting small nuggets in Discrimination mode with it you will lose some depth. As soon as you switch from All Metal to Discriminate, it switches to a factory preset ground balance mode. I would talk to Vince or Rusty at the Factory before you pull the trigger. You may be better off with a Vaquero - that's not gospel, just my experience with the two machines in trashy situations. You'll just be discriminating iron anyway, as you'll lose gold at foil or above Nickel.

I have both the old Lobo and a Gold Bug 2. I love my Gold Bug 2.

The "Iron Discriminate" switch is a great tool.

I have found more gold this year with my Gold Bug 2 than my GPX 4000.

Thanks for the info guys. I have not used the GB 2 myself but I have heard from others that it is a good machine. I have used a borrowed Lobo a few times and liked it. Sure is light! What about the GB Pro? How about the ML Eureka Gold? Any thoughts on the X-terra detectors?

I like the Gold Bug 2 much better for gold than the Gold Bug Pro. I have two GB2s and would pick up another one if I saw it.

I relic hunt with the GB Pro. It's good for the gold too but have found pounds of gold with the GB2