Sign in to follow this  
kyle

so the laddy at minelab tells me

that all gp series detectors are more or less now obsolete as they are almost out of parts to repair..i can send in for repairs but the chances of a repair are basically slim to none if needed...that's bs

Minelab is a good company.

Like any company, they cant support really old technology forever..

Time to upgrade and move on.

Heck, my puter was obsolete 6 yrs ago...but im not screaming at Dell...

Tom H.

Kyle ... do you own a car? ... an old one? ... Just name me one thing we use today that is supported in its current form forever ... just another example of planned obsolescence! ... As Tom said in not so many words get over it and get on with it!

Mike F

I'm not giving up my 1950 Chevy pickup, nor my boy his 1952 Chevy pickup, nor his brother his 1958 Chevy pickup. Still very easy to buy parts!

Detectors and computers, maybe not so lucky.......

I would think this opens opportunity to the guys who do mods and independent repairs of ML ... Good ol' USA (and Aussie) capitalism! Cheers, Unc

I am going to agree with kyle on this one. There are a few big differences in this. One is that mine lab keeps all its stuff secret. If you want to learn how to repair Fords, no problem, there are loads of books on the topic, a good number put out by Ford Motors itself. The circuits of a mine lab are a deep dark secret that no one knows. The guys who do the supposed "mods" of ML detectors know what little they know by poking around by trial and error. They are essentially working blind and I have heard of some real horror stories of their supposed repairs. Second, a lot of the GPS detectors are well less than 10 years old. If you took your 8 year old car in for repairs and the Ford dealer said that we don't work on these old junkers, time for you to buy a new one, you would rightfully be angry. Now I don't expect ML to work any miracles. Sometimes there are parts that are truly no longer available like certain integrated circuit chips. I understand that and accept that fact. If a part is broken that is no longer made, OK. However there are many switches and other simple parts that are still made and will be for many years. Switches and adjustable resistor pots are things that commonly fail, but are easily purchased. ML makes a premium product and charges a premium price. OK, but they need also to support that premium product with premium service.

Well I have to agree with Kyle and Reno Chris but with that said Minelab is in the business of selling detectors and not repairing them. From my experience in the late 90's and early 2000's they weren't very good at repairing them anyway. I stopped trying to keep up with a new detector from Minelab every three to four years back in 07 when I bought my GPX4000. I'll stick with my 4000 until the wheels fall off of it as they priced me right out of their products. I also have a SD2100 that I had modded by Woody that just pures right along, very happy with his mods on that detector.

Kyle ... If the implication is that I get a free detector from Minelab because I teach folks how to use them you are sorely mistaken. I have to buy my equipment just like you ... and just for the record I have spent way too much money but ... well ... I "need" it all to have fun ...! :) Now I may be out voted on the obsolescence thing but you know as well as I that 'planned obsolescence' is the name of the modern corporate game ... I'm not saying it is right just saying it exists and there is no end to its expansion in sight.

Mike F

It's not how powerful your machine is or how deep it penetrates, it’s how well you navigate it through the bush. jk lol

Just trying to lighten the mood.

Hey Hawkeye, does Woody that you mention above have a website? or does anyone have any good info on a reliable detector modification company?

Matt here is some info on Woody: http://detectormods.com/forum, https://www.youtube.com/user/woodypoopoo, and his email address: detectormods@gmail.com.

I have never had any mods done by him but he did give me alot of info on some issues I was having with my GPX4500 and instructions on how to trace some things to find out what the real problem maght be. That info he gave me was comfirmed as being correct by Brian at the ML service center in Az. and also by Darin at ML americas in Il.

He also makes after market items like noise interference filters, battery packs. I purchased the noise filter but never used it after I got my detector back from ML service. I never had any interference and the smoothest threshold you've ever heard.

Bill

I am going to agree with kyle on this one. There are a few big differences in this. One is that mine lab keeps all its stuff secret. If you want to learn how to repair Fords, no problem, there are loads of books on the topic, a good number put out by Ford Motors itself. The circuits of a mine lab are a deep dark secret that no one knows. The guys who do the supposed "mods" of ML detectors know what little they know by poking around by trial and error. They are essentially working blind and I have heard of some real horror stories of their supposed repairs. Second, a lot of the GPS detectors are well less than 10 years old. If you took your 8 year old car in for repairs and the Ford dealer said that we don't work on these old junkers, time for you to buy a new one, you would rightfully be angry. Now I don't expect ML to work any miracles. Sometimes there are parts that are truly no longer available like certain integrated circuit chips. I understand that and accept that fact. If a part is broken that is no longer made, OK. However there are many switches and other simple parts that are still made and will be for many years. Switches and adjustable resistor pots are things that commonly fail, but are easily purchased. ML makes a premium product and charges a premium price. OK, but they need also to support that premium product with premium service.

I whole heartedly agree! Chris

I hold a radio telephone operators lic wich allows me to repair transmitters of ALL kinds I know a little bit about electronics for them to say parts arent available is pure BS they just dont want to reorder parts or pay repair technitians they want to sell new detectors. It will be a Cold day in AZo before I buy another MineLab. Cheap ass way to get out of Paying your technitains.

I work for a living full time Married with kids and a Mortgage I get to go metal detecting MAYBE 2-3 times a year if I am lucky my machines sit in the closet waiting for a day to go out I cant justify a new detector at 10 Grand let alone a trip out to the fields with Gas prices as they are Minelab needs to stop the BS.

I bet you they still service older Land mine detectors still for governments around the world!!!!!!!!!!

If they arnt going to service these detectors they need to make the Manuals to repair them available to the owners as there is no independant USA repair centers for the older machines. I shouldnt be forced to have to ship my machine to Austraila for repairs to a uncertified repair center just for repairs.

These were top of the line machines when sold new only a few years ago. not cheap plastic toys but $4000 machines designed to detect gold nuggets at great depths.

If you ask me I smell a Class action lawsuit

aside from stirring up trouble and complaining I don't think Kyle has much to offer...but, this one time he may be on track.

Minelab has always been short on parts from what Ian Atkin once told me....When I sent my 3500 back to Oz for proper repair, they had to use used parts to rebuild my detector.

The Modders buy/get used machines and store the body-parts for future needs...

fred

WOW GUYS - Dont you think it's about time to quit whining about this and move on?

My 2006 GPX4000 is pretty darn old and has found me a whole bunch of nuggets. A little while ago it started getting hard to ground balance.

I called Minelab, talked to a tech and he said to send it in. Guess what.............Minelab put in a new circuit board (which was in stock) and

I had it back right away, working great. Now if they had said sorry no parts, I would have complained some then moved on. I would have called

Chris at Arizona Outback and bought a new Minelab.

Please, if you hate Minelab :angry: go buy a Walmart detector then try to find nuggets with it!

Or quit detecting altogether and just go to http.//www.ihateminelab.org every day and post your complaints there.

REALLY SORRY for the rant :unsure: but I get SO tired of the bashing. Let's get positive, cool weather is around the corner.

Lets go get some nuggets. :)

Minelab is a great company which makes amazing products. I have the highest opinion of them.

Occasionally I may disagree with a corporate decision or two that they make, it doesn't make them any less of a great company, nor does it make their products any less amazing.

The fact that they are now selling new 4500 models world wide, makes it pretty plain that they will be repairing these for many years to come.

I am not all that confident that the comments of the original poster are fully accurate - (Kyle is a perennial cr@p stirrer)

I do wish they told me to send my gp extreme in a few months ago when it went crazy on me, but I wasn't that lucky. The tech told me that the 4000s and down can't be repaired by them. So I was forced to buy a new 5000 from Chris. I believe Minelab makes absolutely amazing products. Do i wish parts were still around? Yes but they aren't so I'll do what I have to I guess. They are great.

Dan

Kyle doesent even own a Minelab PI or VLF so I don`t see what his concern is. My SD2200V2 has been dropped, tripped over , pissed on , raided by pack rats, covered in dirt, rained on, and it still keeps on finding ;)