Ok I have another question for everyone. Who uses a Docs gold screamer and is it worth getting for my extreme? Thanks everybody. Dan

On both my 3000 and my brother in law's 3000 the threshold did smooth out when using the screamer. His machine was smoother than mine...so I put his screamer on my machine to see if that was the reason. My machine smoothed out also, so I ordered one too. I have only been out once so far, and I was using different headphones than I normally do. It sounded a little different from normal tone wise but it was a smoother threshold. Besides that I really enjoyed less cables and no big battery on my back. :) Matt

Hello,

I used the predecessor to the gold screamer on my GPX3000.... and when I traded it in on a GPX5000 I got the Gold Screamer to go with it. I run an external speaker attached to the arm cup to make it a self contained unit like a VLF machine. Ever since the first one I have loved the reduced weight, no more damaged cords, and not needing to ware the battery bungee harness on hot days. With the Gold screamer amplifier you can set your threshold lower and adjust the amplifier volume to hear signal responses better. The two batteries supplied with the gold screamer last about 5-6 hours each which gives you the same run time as the newer GX4000-GPX5000 lithium ion Minelab batteries. And unlike the Minelab lithium ion packs, extra batteries can be found as cheap as $20 bucks each instead of $450ish. The GPX4500 and GPX5000 batteries have an external speaker amplifier built into the battery pack, the GPX4000 battery does not. The down side to the stock lithium ion batteries is you're back to using the harness and cords, while on a positive note with the newer machines you don't need to buy a separate signal amplifier.

You are only getting 6 hours because you are running the speaker. The amp driving the speaker burns the battery up a lot faster.

With headphones I get 7 to 71/2 hours no problem.

The nice thing about the batteries is that they weigh around 10 ounces. So if you feel like you might need the other battery sometime during the day, just slip the spare in your hip pocket.

BCOT!

Doc

I usually use a 12 X 17 around that size. Larger coils do pull a bit more energy but not that much. It is the speaker that really draws on the battery.

Doc