Sign in to follow this  
Hawkeye

Using a GPX battery to run a GP detector

Wondering if anyone has tried to run a GP detector with a GPX battery using an adjustable voltage regulator. I'm thinking about doing this but would need to construct an adjustable voltage regulator.

If I am not mistaken I believe the GP series has a 4 wire power cord and the GPX has a 5 wire. Be very careful fooling around with the Lithium-Ion battery ... they can cause serious personal damage and fire if handled improperly! Just saying know what you are doing and be very careful!

Mike F

Hi Mike

I just took off the connector on my GPX power cord and although the connector is a 5 prong there are only 4 wires in the cable. One prong is not used. I think they might do this keep people from hooking up the 8 volt GPX battery to a 6 volt GP or SD detector. My other theory is it also opens up sales of other accessories that won't fit between detector models.

Hawkeye ... I am aware of the blank connector in the 5 wire hook-up. I have broken a few power cords and had to open them up and re-solder connections and also do some wire to wire repair. My biggest concern when trying to use a Lithium Ion on the GP or SD series is that playing with the Lithium Ion batteries is not for the untrained. Be VERY careful!!!! My concern is not with the cord itself but the battery and its potential for fire or explosion. Same reason why airline companies are careful to warn passengers of their concern for the lithium batteries brought on board.

Mike

I understand that concern. I am always cautious with those batteries. I wish we could still get the Reeds Lithium 12 volt regulated batteries. I have one that I bought from Chris back in the early 2000's and it is still going strong. I opened it up to find it has an adjustable regulator so I set it at 7.4 volts to run my modded 2100. I'm having some issues with the charging mouse on it and am not sure if its getting charged well. When I contacted Reeds they told me they can't send them here anymore because of the airlines and restrictions on lithium Ion batteries. I also have Doc's Gold Screamer battery systems for both my 4000 and 2100 but I get out so little anymore that the batteries keep going bad on me. I've had to replace three or four of them in a few years and that gets expensive.

Hawkeye,

I have run SD's and GP's on a GPX battery. Built an adapter box. The audio is good too and you don't need a separate booster.

Minelabs Chief Scientist Bruce Candy put a great audio amplifier in there already. He designed amplifiers and Two Way HF Radios before he became an Evil Genius Metal Detector Designer forcing mere innocents to spend up to $9,999 to satisfy their lust for a heavy yellow metal found in the lowest of places. This also explains why our batteries and power cords have microphone connectors on them.

Cheers,

Mark

Consumer Advisory: $9,999 Base Price does not include 11" coil, 20" coil, Marriage Counciling, Credit Remediation or any other options you are likely to require, Your Actual Gold Findage may vary depending on your personal detecting habits.

Hawkeye,

The box has a 4 pin battery input connector and a 5 pin output connector. I have 4 pin to 4 pin, 5 pin to 5 pin and hybrid 4 pin to 5 pin cables.

The DC to DC voltage converter in the box can do step up or step down. The toggle switch changes the voltage displayed between battery output and detector input.

The recessed screw adjustment can be set to limit the max output voltage. The knob is a fine voltage adjust to tune the detector input voltage when using SD series detectors.

I can run any SD/GP/GPX series on any battery with regulated input voltage. For example SD on GPX battery or GPX on Sealed Lead Acid SD/GP Brick battery.

This rough version is one I made quickly to run a Modded SD2000 and tune the input voltage for best depth vs noise.

A much better version could be made.

Cheers,

Mark

Fine Print: Any attempt to mix and match 4 pin and 5 pin batteries and 4 pin and 5 pin detectors will with metaphysical certitude, result in blown up detectors, flames shooting out of your batteries, your house burning down and all of your future babies being born naked, or worse.

post-38580-0-74786700-1425346724_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple pics. The voltage to the detector is displayed. 7.4 Volts is a good max voltage for SD's.

Fine Print: All attempts to use a device like this have side effects including but not limited to the inability to discern gold from pyrite, loss of car keys and death. Warning: Objects in this post may appear closer or further away than they actually are.

post-38580-0-32868300-1425346677_thumb.jpg

Wes,

Will do.

Cheers,

Mark

Fine Print: Any use or abuse of any techniques described herein or alluded to, have been proven to result in Infections of Gold Fever, Contagious Gold Bug Infestation of Public Regions and Yellowing of your Poke. If you experience persistant metal detection that lasts longer than four hours call your doctor immediately!

I believe that fifth pin is used to charge the battery. So while it is not used in the power cord to the machine, it is used in the power connectors from your AC and your DC charging wires when connected to the battery.

Of course I have to ask the obvious question. Why don't you buy the Lithium Ion Gold Screamer kit from Chris? It has a built in regulator, and an audio amplifier and comes with two Lithium Ion batteries. All for a little bit more than the cost of 1 Minelab GPX battery.

Be careful, and good luck with your modification.

Doc

Doc,

I have used your Gold Screamer Batteries with my adapter box as well. Really like the removable modularity of the camcorder batteries. The adapter box allows me to vary the input voltage when I run very large coils on a modded SD2000 and your Gold Scorpion Cart. Just one more variable to be optimized. The extra power is measurable as field strength at the coil in the SD's and brightens the audio a bit. Of course there is a quickly diminishing return to boosting power output. The ancient SD2000 wide open P.I. has possibilities for tinkerers.

Interesting the GPZ7000 is something of a return to the idea of wide open pulse power. Tinkerers are already building a hardware hack to overcome the chipped coil concept. Bet the short time constant targets that machine seems to be optimized for will really respond to a 10"x5" (or thereabouts)Super D coil when somebody builds it.

I have a CTX3030 which is great, but still cling to an Etrac with a Sunray Probe, 5" round and 15" WOT coil. The CTX with available coils can't do what those coils can on the Etrac. The available Minelab chipped coils for the CTX have been slow coming, expensive and not optimum sizes IMHO. The Etrac with a WOT coil is still deeper than the CTX3030 with the 17"x13".

I guess I am a compulsive tinkerer. I have tried all the different battery setups that I could get my hands on. They all have their good points.

Really impressed with Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries and wireless audio at the moment. That battery chemistry powers most smart phones now. It is the best all around performer I have tried to date.

Just my 2+ Cents Worth of random ramblings.

These days everything seems to move forward at an unbelievable pace.

Cheers,

Mark

Disclaimer: All ideas, conjectures, guesses and misrepresentations in this communication are undoubtedly mistaken, misstated and possibly border on heresy. Past gold finds are not a guarantee of future gold finds and should be used as informed guidelines only.

Hi Doc

I do have your lithium Gold screamer kit, two of them, one for my 2100 and one for my 4000. I just don't get out that much anymore and forget to puut the batteries on the charger and they go bad and won't take a charge. I have relaced four of them in the last several years. The one for the 2100 stoped regulating the battery voltage and puts out 8 to 8.3 volts and doesn't come down so I don't want to use it for fear of damaging my detector. I like to and swap things around and tinker a bit too.

Wes.