I hope this is OK to post ... I just got done with Max's annual Viper Avoidance Training this morning in New River. This was his retraining just as the snake season starts in this part of the country. I am so convinced that this training works that I consider it essential for all dog owners who take their most loyal friend out into the desert needs to have this training ... it is training for the dog but it is also for the 'master' so that he/she can read what the dog is doing when it encounters a rattlesnake. In talking with Jim this morning he said he was going to be in Kingman AZ April 4th to do his training. I volunteered that I would help out by posting this info on the forum ... so here it is.

April 4th, Viper Avoidance Training (done btw with live rattlesnakes not just an old shed skin) in Kingman AZ with Jim Walkington, Viper Voidance of New River AZ. This is NOT a walk in clinic ... you need to call him to make an appointment. He can be reached at 480-215-1776. If you are going to be in Kingman with your trusted and loyal 4 legged friend on April 4th I strongly encourage you to give Jim a call and take the short 20-30 minute class. If you would like to check his website: www.vipervoidance.com

Disclaimer: I am not making a dime on this ... Jim did not pay me nor will I accept payment if he offered it ... I feel strongly about his program and volunteered to post this info. My sole reason for posting this information is the hope that some dog will benefit from it by recognizing danger before it strikes and in the end it saves a dogs life!

Mike F

Great Topic Mike,

My dog barely survived a bite on her nose! Six months and multipule operations $3500.00 later she was back to normal. But as I found out ~ the first 15 minutes her nose swelled up 4 times it's normal size at 30 minutes that swelling kept growing until her head was so large she could no longer lift it! 40 minutes later her air way was starting to close. I managed to get her to the vet just in time! (50 minutes)

Training is important for both you and you dog ~ to avoid the inevitable results of a snake bite! I have seen the damage first hand and it is serious topic that a little caution prevention training would go a very long way.

Gerard

Good Advise. When I get dog, will be done!

Terri, might think about doing this to Frank ;-)

Thank you for the information, just wish they offered that service in my area, lots of the critters here.

I also will vouch for Jim's Viper Avoidance training ... He trained my Shadow Patch two years ago and it is really great training ... When we went back for the follow up after a month, Patch got within 30 feet of the rattler, wheeled around and bolted for the truck! Jim's service is reasonable in price and works really great! Five thumbs up! ... Cheers, Unc

I have put my Lab through this training and its works! One thing to keep in mind is that each different snake has a different odor,so if you are in a different part of the country that has a different rattler it might or might not work with that one. The trainer that I used had 4 different ones.

First, let me say this is a great idea to protect your best friend.

But, living here in San Diego, California (where the politicians pander to the wacko left), snake avoidance training has been banned!

Yes, believe it or not animal-rights groups said this type of training was too stressful on the rattlesnakes!

Luckily, the ordinance is effective only in the city of San Diego and not the County.

Here are some further details:

As you may or may not know rattlesnake aversion training for dogs has come under fire from animal rights activists in San Diego County. Earlier this year a complaint was registered with San Diego county animal services regarding the use of rattlesnakes to train dogs to avoid snakes, the complaint was that it is cruel and stressful to the snakes. Because of the complaint animal services has begun enforcing an ordinance in the county that prohibits the possession of venomous reptiles. Animal services has contacted the aversion trainers and told us we can no longer offer this service and said in no uncertain terms that we will be cited if we continue.

Sounds crazy doesn't it? The authorities would rather have many dozens of dogs it each year that inflict some possible stress on rattlesnakes!

Okay, if you stopped laughing now, be on guard for copycat legislation in your location. Once one wacko group has success with legislation like this is quickly passed on to their counterparts throughout the country. Oh, by the way, where still not allowed to dredge for gold in California!

First, let me say this is a great idea to protect your best friend.

But, living here in San Diego, California (where the politicians pander to the wacko left), snake avoidance training has been banned!

Yes, believe it or not animal-rights groups said this type of training was too stressful on the rattlesnakes!

Luckily, the ordinance is effective only in the city of San Diego and not the County.

Here are some further details:

As you may or may not know rattlesnake aversion training for dogs has come under fire from animal rights activists in San Diego County. Earlier this year a complaint was registered with San Diego county animal services regarding the use of rattlesnakes to train dogs to avoid snakes, the complaint was that it is cruel and stressful to the snakes. Because of the complaint animal services has begun enforcing an ordinance in the county that prohibits the possession of venomous reptiles. Animal services has contacted the aversion trainers and told us we can no longer offer this service and said in no uncertain terms that we will be cited if we continue.

Sounds crazy doesn't it? The authorities would rather have many dozens of dogs it each year that inflict some possible stress on rattlesnakes!

Okay, if you stopped laughing now, be on guard for copycat legislation in your location. Once one wacko group has success with legislation like this is quickly passed on to their counterparts throughout the country. Oh, by the way, where still not allowed to dredge for gold in California!

The next thing you know it will be illegal to walk close to a Rattlesnake in the wild because you will stress them out, these wacko environmentalists are never going to stop until we all just say inside and look out of our windows at the world we once knew!!!! :huh::angry:

Thank you Patrick I will check that out, I worry every time we are out and about.

Calif is going down the tubes as is the whole country, sad to say but this is not the America I was born into 70 years ago!!

I've already taken a pro-active approach to the snake stress problem. When out in the boonies, I catch a rattler, put him in a gunny sack and take him home with me. Once home, I let the snake know that my neighbor is an environmentalist and will take good care of him and get him the proper therapy. I bid the snake farewell and then toss him over the fence into the neighbors yard. I figure who knows better how to take care of a rattle snake than an environmentalist. They know everything about wild life. :huh: