Sign in to follow this  
Gus in Idaho

My 5000 Still Finds Gold!

Hey guys,

Long time since I posted anything.

Got out today for a little gold detecting. I managed 5 nuggets for about 10 grams, two of them were really deep.

Don't be so eager to give your GPX away! It's definitely a buyers market right now.

I know there is a lot of hype on the new machines, but the GPX series are still great detectors.

If I could have only asked for an improvement of the GPX, it would have been on the discrimination. But for some reason they completely did away with it? It seems that smaller, smaller, smaller is all that they are concerned with.

It sure is nice having the option to be selective digging non-ferrous targets in high trash areas!

I've heard so many people through the years that say "Dig everything" well I could take them to some places in my world where that's just not possible....

Good luck out there guys!

Gus-

post-7196-0-82572200-1428559239_thumb.jpg

post-7196-0-06382100-1428559280_thumb.jpg

Nice home town gold Gus ... Glad to see you survived the winter up there. Any of that gold come with the 14" elliptical mono? There have been times when I wish I still had it ... had to go and get another! :) Of course if I read your post better I would have to assume you used a DD coil since you spoke about discrimination. Not letting my GPX5000 go but since the SDC and the GPZ it doesn't go out for a walk to much any more.

Mike F

Congrats on some nice gold Gus, was over by your neck of the woods a couple weeks ago,went with my brother to Boise to pick up his new truck.

Gus, I think you could find gold with a frisbee taped to the end of a broomstick!

Chrisski- Yeah this gold came from less than a 2 hour drive from Boise.

Mike- Yes, these were found with the 14" Mono. That is my go to coil, and it has landed me hundreds of nuggets! Mono coils will always be my first preference, but there are several areas I hunt where a DD coil will slaughter a Mono. Not in depth or sensitivity, but because it allows you to be selective and dig the quality targets. However that discrimination is not 100% fool-proof which is why I think Minelab needed to focus more attention to this, but now they just did away with it all together on these newer machines. There are many of us that feel this is a mistake. Sure it works just fine if all you want to do is hit the same beat up patches over and over again listening for whispers..

Steve- LOL, I might have to try that sometime.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Hi Gus,

Hey those are some pretty gnarly looking nuggets!

I guess I need to dust off my detectors and hit the hills!

Hope all is well with you and yours!

Largo

Hi Gus,

It's great seeing you back on the forum! The new 10+ grams of nuggets are beauties :) I have always been partial to the Mono coils, but I know exactly what you mean when it comes to using the DD & Disc feature to knock out some of that garbage. There are a few spots here in AZ that I drop by occasionally to hunt that are totally covered in old-timer junk. It's a real pain to work, but every once in a while a nice slug turns up, so it keeps me coming back for more. I kind of like the Commander 10" Ellip. DD coil in these spots because it is narrow and doesn't "see" so many targets at once.

Thanks again for sharing your finds, keep up the good work!