Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Got Hand-Stacking?

Hi All,

Here is a quick Tip that I posted up to the AZO Facebook page. Once again, this will be familiar to many here, but hopefully it helps out some of our newer members. Happy hunting everyone! :)

What is hand-stacking? Hand-stacking was a technique used by early placer miners to gain access to the bedrock in a gold-bearing creek or gully. In order to reach the pay gravels resting on the bottom, they had to first remove the larger overburden consisting of rocks and boulders. This overburden was then stacked by hand on the nearby banks where it would be out of the way. These stacked piles can be nothing more than a discarded heap of stones on an outside bend, or carefully built walls towering as high as ten feet! Moving piles of heavy boulders by hand is no easy task, so whenever hand-stacking is encountered it’s safe to assume that area must have been fairly rich. This is a valuable clue that lets you know that there is a VERY good chance that gold is nearby.

post-28-0-05992900-1429748715_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-21973300-1429748725_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-70377700-1429748733_thumb.jpg

What is hand-stacking? Hand-stacking was a technique used by early placer miners to gain access to the bedrock in a gold-bearing creek.

It is also a technique used today in present time. Here are just a couple examples of some handstacks done by boulderdash and myself when drywashing.

ArivacaNationals_zps4b87929e.jpg

DSC05701_zps9abed95c.jpg

DSC04410.jpg

rockwall.jpg

so whenever hand-stacking is encountered it’s safe to assume that area must have been fairly rich

Was it fairly rich? :ph34r:

You could live in that one stack.

Chris ... I couldn't agree more ... In fact it is possible that the hand stacking from the old timers once removed may expose virgin ground. Just a thought for those on you with strong backs and weak minds! LOL!

Adam ,,, I won't pick out which picture but was one of those done up at Gold Basin? I found one in my last trip up there that spoke to me as to say that is Adam and BD's work! If not you definitely have some competition.

Mike F

Thanks guys, ...Its alot of fun making walls and huts or wells......There is also a genuine purpose in doing this work too.....

Nugget108,.....yep, that was a hut built during the Handstacking Nationals 2012 , and it took first place in the freestyle division .

Haha that's funny. Yep I can see it now, some archeologist or government nut will be out there roaming around and see that and want to shut down the whole area because it was inhabited by natives. Man you guys bust your butts lol.

It will all be one day viewed as "archaeological structures built by an ancient culture... the purpose unknown". It would be far too simple to think of rock stacks as a couple of guys clearing overburden to get to the good stuff... :huh:

Very funny Chris :D Actually , not one of these rock arts are still standing today. Not so much as a trace is left. Storms over the last few years have erased any evidence, sadly :(

I agree that they are an art form - and I've heard of government grants for some pretty lame stuff too. Your rocks would be way better than some of the dumb grants I've heard of.

Sorry to hear they got washed away, maybe the washing will reveal some new gold. I just did that a few days back in Nevada - a gully washer cleaned off a short stretch of bedrock and I got 11 little ones for a total of 1.5 grams - a penny weight of Nevada gold in about 20 feet of stream. No gold upstream or down - just that one little spot.