Sign in to follow this  
RiverJohn

BEEs Be Careful Out There

Detecting in Gold Basin early last summer and got into a large swarm of bees. Ran to my quad and hauled buns! Only a few stings.

That happened about 3 miles from me as the crow flies. I've passed that old barn a jillion times but never went over and dicked with it. It seems like it can happen anywhere.

That was a shame the guy had to go like that.

The wife and I a couple years ago were camped at Meadview, we had just came back to camp and got off the quad when I heard what sounded like a low flyin smallcraft not far away, getting closer then saw a dark mass in the distance headed right for us.

The swarm wasn't 20 feet away flying in between campers and headed off towards Gold Basin.

That was too close for me.

GOT TO LOOKING INTO THIS A LITTLE MORE. OUR HIKERS IN CALIFORNIA ARE NOW ENCOUNTERING THE BEES AS ARE OUR FIRE FIGHTERS.

THIS WAS FOR ME A VERY INFORMATIVE ARTICLE. IT'S WRITTEN BY USFS IN SOUTHERN ARIZONA. IT EXPLAINS WHAT AND HOW THE BEES DEFEND THEIR TERRITORY. VERY INTERESTING. LOTS OF GOOD THINGS TO KNOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND WHAT TO LOOK FOR AND EXPECT WITH THESE NEW KIND BEES.

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/htm00672313/

HOPE THIS HELPS. HH JOHN

Good information but I wonder if anything in the bulletin has changed since 2000 when it was issued. For my money and time ... I think the best information to be gleened from the report is to get out of the defensive area of the bees as soon as they are noticed. Caveat to what I just wrote ... Just my opinion ... you need to decide what to do for yourself.

Mike F

THIS GUY WAS GIVING HIS DOG A BATH IN HIS GARAGE. HE SURVIVED BUT THE DOG DID NOT. THESE AFRICANIZED BEES ARE SERIOUS STUFF FOR ALL OF US. ESPECIALLY, WHEN YOU ARE OUT THERE BY YOURSELF AND FAR FROM MEDICAL TREATMENT.

I KNOW I AM GOING TO GET SOME KIND OF INEXPENSIVE BEE SUIT AND TOP THAT I CAN CARRY WITH ME. WON'T HAVE TO HAVE IT UNTIL THE FALL BUT GONNA GET SOMETHING TO PROTECT ME.

HERE'S THE DOG STORY. http://abc7.com/news/bees-sting-man-dog-more-than-100-times-in-loma-linda/830556/

http://abc7.com/news/worker-dies-after-crew-attacked-by-bees-in-riverside/900783/

ONE MORE INCIDENT. THE IMPORTANT THING HERE IS THE HIVE WAS UNDER THE SURFACE IN A SPRINKLER BOX. THESE AFRICANIZED BEES REALLY GO OFF WHEN THEY ARE DISTURBED BY WHO KNOWS WHAT.

JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF WHAT TO LOOK FOR AND WHAT TO BE PREPARED FOR.

HH AND BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

JOHN