Hello everyone!

Newbie here with a few questions that may have been answered a 1000 times before..

Took my Nokta Fors out to the GPAA "soldier boy" yesterday. Had some fun but didnt find anything so headed over to Lynx Lake to do a little panning before the day was over.

Found Lynx lake, but couldnt figure out where to go from there... :blink:

Where do i go from the Fee / Boat rentals parking area & is it safe to use a metal detector in the area ??

Maybe there are club claims in the area??

Are there any places to prospect that are NOT on club claims? Closed claims maybe?? Just seems like all of the club claim sites have been worked pretty hard over the years.

Thanks,

James Hunt

---------------------------

(I know its been said before but HUGE THANKS to Chris for the awesome service at AZO).

If you were at the boat landing you were at the wrong place. About a mile and a half or a little better from SR69 and the beginning of Walker Rd head south toward Walker and you will see a sign for the Lynx Recreation area and a trail head... sign on right(west side of road) entrance to the area to the left or east side of road. Drive in until you go down a steep hill and park in the lot at the bottome of the hill. Read the postings at the Kiosk ... it has a map of the area and restrictions.

Thank you sir... I feel like a tourist trying to find some of these sites. :lol:

Spent a whole day just trying to locate claim markers near stanton a few months ago. Ended up driving back to the store near the stanton entrance, and the owner told me the worst they could do was shoot you for being on the wrong cliam. Makes you feel all warm & cozy out there.. haha.

Spent a little time in that area Mike is talking about and got more color panning than Dad did w the SDC. Plenty o trash though. Another place for info was the main ranger station in Prescott. The ranger in there was helpful and even emailed all the info to me. Good luck!

Hi James,

I would have replied sooner; somehow I missed your post. Here is a link with some more info. about the Lynx Rec area: http://www.fs.usda.g...=67279&actid=59

Good place to prospect; either detecting or panning. I have found some decent nuggets in the area, but there is no shortage of trash. Once I found a nugget jammed down in a bedrock crack along with 6 bullets! Despite the junky conditions, it's a good summer spot and there is always the chance of a nice nuggie! Your Nokta FORS should handle the mineralization with ease. Good luck!

For anyone interested, I created and carry a custom topo map that shows the whole Lynx area including the public panning area as well as the Road Runner claims to the west .... Cheers, Unc

For areas to prospect that aren’t on the mineral withdrawl area or a club claim, I looked a couple years ago and found some areas that were extremely hard to reach, steep, with no road access, and no water access. I never went to these areas and they may have been claimed by now.

As far is there any open land to prospect, there’s no easy way to search this. Involves going three different websites to the BLM site, County sites, and state land status sites. Programs are available out there to make this quicker, but this type of software is not updated as frequently the websites.

After that involves searching the area to make sure the area you are on has not been claimed in the last few days.