frank c

Member Kelly Starkey Passed Away.

For those that knew Kelly he passed away suddenly a few days back from the story I was told.

A well know Kelly worked around the GPAA for years also.

We'll miss seeing him post those beautiful copper an silver nuggets and ores.

R.I.P. Kelly

post-444-0-41820100-1438655047.jpg

That's to bad, Kelly was a good guy always enjoyed talking with him at the gold shows,and always liked his posts on his detecting trips,R.I.P..

I wish I hadn't logged in, then I wouldn't have read this I've sat and read this over and over and I still can't seem to process it.

I had the pleasure of spending a couple of months camping with Kelly over the last 2 years which I will treasure for the rest of my time.

Large in statue, with a laugh, a personality and a presence to match. What a true gentleman.

Talented to boot! He was poet, a singer and song writer, a joker, a story teller and even with his dodgy knees we even saw him dance.

He was a master panner. Linc and I always said that if we could pan like Kelly, we'd throw our mercury away.

On the tours Kelly would pan off every ones specimens. He loved it, and every one loved watching him. Always a crowd with Kelly in the middle.

He loved his detecting. Some mornings I'd have to help him out of bed and put his socks and shoes on, he was obviously in pain. But he'd go all day, longer than many half his age and twice as fit.

Then every night around the fire it was tales of prospecting in Alaska, bears, trapping bobcats, his mate Boo-Coo and his time with the GPAA. Often he'd spoil us with a song.

Kelly, I'll treasure the memories, our friendship and my copper and silver nuggets.

Sleep well mate!

Steve

Thank you for posting Frank. I can't really believe it yet. As I get older it is a lot harder to take news like this. I enjoyed detecting with him and listening to his great stories. Going to miss him, I took this picture of Kelly last time we were detecting together in Gold Basin.

post-42253-0-13308700-1438697014_thumb.jpg

Kelley R.I.P.

I was fortunate to have met and been around him at a few outings. I didn't get the chance to detect with him, but I sure enjoyed his stories. He was also very generous. At one outing he donated some copper specimens for raffle prizes and I was lucky enough to win one. I will always cherish it.

Norm McQpost-38777-0-17737900-1438702579_thumb.jpg

I was deeply saddened to hear of Kelly’s passing. He was a wonderful person with a great sense of humor and a true love of the outdoors. He was always good for a laugh and sometimes a song around the campfire. My condolences go out to his family…RIP my friend.

post-28-0-55129900-1438709467_thumb.jpg

I never had the pleasure of meeting the man but whenever I hear of a fellow prospectors passing it saddens me greatly.

RIP Kelly

Wow! I was shocked to see this post. I met Kelly a couple years ago at the Quartzsite AZO outing and we spent a couple of days together after an AZO outing at Gold Basin. Enjoyed talking with him about prospecting, trapping, Australia, and Alaska. I was looking forward to many more outings with Kelly and had hoped to one day get down and look for copper with him. Very entertaining man and I'll miss spending time with him. Any idea what happened?

Yeah very sad to hear it as well he will be missed I too met up with Kelly at the AZO Quartzite outting. Heck of a nice guy loved looking at his copper nuggets as well as listening to his great stories. He will be missed take care my friend. Rick

Alaskanick, according to his wife he wasn't feeling well and had agreed to make a Dr's appt. after the weekend but suddenly had what I believe his wife described as an attack (heart) and didn't last long enough untill the ambulance showed up.

Sad.