Sign in to follow this  
Mike Furness

Finally .....

....The ole skunk that has been smelling up my days in the field ... the stench has been unbearable! ... has found someone else to love or just missed the ride back with me. Out on a whim today just for a couple hours on a Roadrunner claim in a very narrow wash only about a foot and a half wide. Not many targets ... in fact no targets for the first 30 minutes or so ... was beginning to think this wash had been drywashed or detected out. The SDC2300 gives off a tiny little whisper to stop me just long enough to make me double check what I thought I heard ... yup ... tiny repeatable target! Scrape a little dirt ,,, still in the hole ... down a little more still in the hole ... repeat a few more times down to about 3 and a half maybe 4inches ... finally moved the target! Scoop ... nope ... scoop ... nope ... scope ... yup! ... last few grains left in the scoop and still don't see it but it is still there ... finally I saw it ... tiny but gold nonetheless! That breaks the skunk for me since last April ... phew ... thought I had lost my touch! :) The nugget didn't even measure on my scale ... which tells me the gold is something less than 5 grains!

post-179-0-61990800-1443052150_thumb.jpg

The coin in the picture is a 25 ORE which is part of a Danish Krone minted in 1896. Found this a year or so ago down around Rich Hill. It is about the size of a USA dime.

Mike F

Adam ... Have a good camera but the battery needs replacement! That shot was from my Motorola Droid Turbo cell phone. Tried to clean it up with software but ... well you see the results!

Chris ... I need you to rescind the name you plagued me with a few years back ... 'Crumb Master' ... needs to go! :)

Mike F

LipCa ... You may be right ... this old scale is from back in 2003 and came free with my original GP3000 package from Chris. Looking for a good digital powder scale ... had one with all my reloading stuff but sold it a few ... ah ... lot of years ago with the press and lot of other reloading stuff.

"Skunk" is my middle name !

you better keep that name, Mike....until you prove otherwise. just teasing! Good detecting!

I have two AWS scales. One will weight those itty-bitty nuggets for you to 1/100 of a gram-just your size.

fred

I recently purchased a Tanita scale after my cheap AWS took a dump on me.

Tanita scales are pretty high quality and are still made in Japan (which is better than China or Taiwan). It cost me about $60 on Amazon but man is it sensitive.