Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Freshly Dug GPZ Gold

A friend of mine here in Arizona has been playing with the new Minelab GPZ 7000 on some old patches. The ground he is working is heavily mineralized and noisy. To make matters worse, much of the gold is crystalline in nature and not very solid, making detection extra tough. Despite this, the 7000 is proving to be quite the performer in that area. Below is a photo he sent me showing 12 nuggets he picked up his first day out. None are extremely big, but hey, gold is gold and we never toss any of them back. There are been some nice multi-ounce chunks taken nearby, so it will be interesting to see how he finishes off the month…Congrats on the new finds, and thanks for letting me share! ;)

post-28-0-51030300-1444342200_thumb.jpg

Why is it the only gold you ever see found with a GPZ7000 little stuff? Where's the big nuggets? You could find that little stuff with almost any good VLF gold detector, for $10,000.00 I'd like like to see some nuggets in the two or three oz range at depth. Grubstake

Well I just think, that no big gold has been found with them, atleast not shown, When I had my 2200sd, big gold was being found and shown all the time, many, many ozers, so far, this $10,000.00 gold detector looks like a crumb getter. Maybe that's what Minelab is bringing the 45000 back, atleast we have seen many big nuggets found with them, and the ones on down from it. IE, 4000, to the 2200sd. Grubstake

Grubby ... don't forget that all the Minelab PI's in the past had first shot at all the 'easy' big nuggets ... but missed some of the small stuff for various reasons. Much of this small gold posted is coming from depths that the VLF's couldn't reach. Personally I have seen sub-grammers that folks have found at 10-12 inches which is way beyond the depth the VLF would have reached in tough to detect highly mineralized ground. And some of this small gold was missed because even the earlier PI's couldn't see it. Technologically the GPZ7000 is a totally different animal from the GPX, GP or SD series of PI's giving it powers that to date have been unavailable. New technology will always pick up where the older machines couldn't ... such is the GPZ7000! Secondly I also know of guys that are finding larger chunks 1 ounce or larger with their GPZ7000 BUT don't want to post ... they have their reasons as you might imagine ... one of which is to keep those areas private. Some of these guys are known to hunt a certain area and if they posted finds their areas would be flooded with high graders!

Mike Yeh, I always posted mine, but then I hunted mostly private property, where o one else could hunt, Its just that I've not seen one big nugget, only small crumbs, with this detector. It just makes you wonder! Sine minelab is bringing the 4500 back. Grubstake

You know Grubstake, I tend to Agree with you,..... $10,000 is an awful lot to pay for a detector "IF" you indeed have "Hopes" of finding enough gold to recoup your investment of that-much in just the detector alone !!! I still swing my GP-3000 and have not-only found enough gold to pay for it 3-times-over, but continue to find nuggets larger-than what these "yahoos" have shown (up-to-now) swinging this Overly-priced machine with all those Bells, whistles, and High-Hopes. As far as I can see it's no more than a mop-up- Crumb-getter. And as for the lame-excuse: "No one posts their finds because someone else will find the spot(s)???"....What a bunch of Bull !!! I have posted my finds on and off for about 10-years on this forum and No one has discovered my spots,.....And YES, there is still big nuggets out there.... those that this new machine SHOULD BE finding at Depth "IF" it is as good as it is cracked-up to be. NO ONE HAS SHOWN THAT AS YET.

I'm not bashing Minelab, I have owned a 2200sd, 3000, 3500, 4000,4500, 5000. They all found big gold, at pretty good depth, Its just for the GPZ 7000, I have yet to see anyone! Show a nugget as big as what I was finding with those detectors, Seems it would be good advertising, if minelab would get someone, anyone to show a good size nugget or two instead of the crumbs. Just saying. Grubstake

You have to go to a different forum to see that big 7000 gold it seems. I've seen it and a lot of small stuff too. I've also seen some private pictures of big gold and since it is so hard to find any more ... they won't post it.

I'll also have to say that my finds so far with my 7000 have been very modest but I don't find much gold anyway.

There has been a tendency for some 7000 users to only go back to hard hit ground and not look for new ground which could produce bigger nuggets. There is also the recognition that the previous technology and thousands of hours of detecting on patches has cleaned them out.

The 7000 is not for everyone. If you can find a virgin patch through research or luck then you don't need it to fill your poke.

I'm not bashing Minelab either, ... I would just like to see someone swinging this GPZ 7000 come in "Behind me" with my GP-3000 and prove to me that this new detector will indeed find nuggets that my detector is "Suppose-to-be" missing. That would be a true test of the 7000's proclaimed- more advanced technology. I haven't seen anyone do that comparison test in any of Arizona's high-mineralization- areas (which I frequent) as yet. All that I have seen, is those who have these 7000's are just going back to old spots scraping-up the crumbs. And as you questioned,...If they are so much-Better-than all of Minelab's older "Out-dated-detectors, then Why aren't they finding big gold at depth????

AZ, I take offense at being called a "yahoo"...who the hell are you anyway??? No one is going to make you or grubstake or anyone else buy a 7000. I have one and used it enough to know I like it better than the other Minelabs I had. I have no doubt the 7000 will find big, deep gold because it has found some fairly small gold at depth...You are welcome to your opinion and welcome to use the 3000 but don't call me insulting names...

fred

Thank you, thank you! Yes please keep your 3000 and your slurs for your self.

By the way.......here is a picture of my prospecting partner, Mike "yahoo" Garrard with just another "crumb". :P

Does 20" qualify as deep or is that still shallow? Good hunting to all. :)

post-42253-0-25472200-1444504772_thumb.jpg

I can say this with certainty. Many people who do not have a GPZ seem to have considerable issues with a machine they have never laid hands on. The attitude often seems to overflow and get directed at people who do own the detector. An early result of this is JP went underground and I withdrew to my own forum. Many other GPZ owners have either laid low or sought out the few places they are welcome. No matter what gets posted some owner of a previous model just has an irresistible urge to comment on how their machine would have done as well or better, and for less. So why bother posting at all? I quit posting most of my finds this year. I have nothing to prove.

This is not really new however. Seems to happen with every new Minelab model. It seems the price of the GPZ in particular really irritates some people though so it is worse than ever.

The thing is if you have a machine and it is doing well for you, great! Outside of Minelab and a few dealers I doubt if anyone really cares anyway. If swinging a GPZ makes me a yahoo then I am one happy yahoo. Best of luck to everyone, regardless of what detector you are using.

And with that, as Jim Straight says "Silence Is Gold(en)".

Well fredmason,....It would appear that you are Overly-Sensitive about a term (yahoo) that was "Not-addressed-"Specifically"-to-You, nor was it intended as an attack either. But, I guess if you and any others choose to take it negatively and have issues with it, then it is "you" with the problem, not I. The only thing that grubstake and I where attempting to do (his method was different than mine) was to see if "anyone" would post a find that came as a result of using the new 7000 to show that a sizable nugget (other than crumbs) had been found at depth, because thus-far all who own this detector have posted crumbs from old patches and nothing sizable from depth!!............ And so, "THANK YOU" Dick Ward (although you I guess where insulted as well) for posting the picture of your friend with that sizable nugget that he found with his 7000 at a depth of 20".........Was that so hard to do??

Why do you need pictures? Anyone who has used one for a very short time will tell you that the thing punches deep. It will obviously find good sized stuff at great depths. It's funny how some people are so concerned with how other people spend their money...

Oh and glad to hear that no one has ever discovered your spots. But I know plenty of guys who have had it happen and stopped posting pics altogether, or just post their crumbs and don't post the big slugs they're finding.

My questions and post, were ment to be retoricale, not start a fight. I was just wondering why no one has posted big gold at a good depth, with this detector. When the other models came out, JP, and others were more than happy to show how well they did finding big stuff at depth, Jp even did a video on the GPX and 3000 to show how much better the 3000 was over the GPX. Heck if your finding bigger gold with the GPZ7000, I'm glad for you. I don't even hunt gold anymore, except jewelry at the beach. too hard on me, trying to get through the buck brush and climb those hills. What I was looking for was someone to post a over OZ nugget saying they found it at 36 inch or so, that was missed by all the other minelabs. Grubstake

IDdesertman,...In case you hadn't quite noticed, most-all of the members of this Gold forum (as well as other gold forums) take delight in seeing posted pictures of the gold that is found. It is not only a delight to see, but brings hope to those who may be in a slump at-the-time, or haven't found their first nugget as yet,....And it brings in Sales as well

This forum would not exist long if it just contained written words (verbage) and had no photos of the various detectors, detecting supplies, and the gold found by those detectors. What do you think has a major affect and determination as to what is actually sold on this and other forums >>>>>POSTED-PHOTOS.

I find it curious that you can be so cautious, skeptical, fearful, and opposed-to posting a photo of gold on this forum because someone will discover your secret spot as a result(???), But you are wide open to someone's subjective-Opinion(someone you most likely don't actually know very well) and consider it "obvious" that what you are being told is completely-true. I'll bet sales people just love you.

Hey Grubstake,....NOW that's some Nice looking gold!!! I am afraid that I can't lay-claim to have ever (as yet) found a 1 Oz nugget or larger with my GP-3000, but I have found some that are fairly close.

Here are some that I have found (some at a foot or two deep) with my 3000,............"OH-MY-GOD," I have actually posted pictures on this forum, and now Someone will find out where my hidden-Secret-spot is,....Oh, Pain and Anguish....I'll not sleep for nights,...Let's all be Paranoid !!!!

post-906-0-71720100-1444610665_thumb.jpg

post-906-0-21194200-1444610694_thumb.jpg

post-906-0-22278000-1444610739_thumb.jpg

post-906-0-45181100-1444610771_thumb.jpg

post-906-0-85060700-1444610803_thumb.jpg

post-906-0-73739800-1444610833_thumb.jpg

post-906-0-49305100-1444610871_thumb.jpg

Az, if you don't understand the use of the language you are speaking then I understand why you might think me sensitive...

There are any number of respectful words you could have used to state an opinion but you chose "Yahoo; an uncultivated or boorish person, lout.."

so piss off!

fred