Hey All. . .

Thought I would share our muley buck 'with story' that we were fortunate to get this past weekend. It started out by my wife helping me set up camp on 10/3 in an area of northern NV I haven't hunted in a few years. The season started on 10/5 and I was ready. I had strict orders not to shoot anything that was going to kill me to get out. . . as the last one in '13 'almost' did. . . (it took me out of the 2014 season)

The wife headed back home to work the week and planned on comming out the following weekend. The first couple of days I hunted a canyon fairly close to camp and saw a lot of deer and a couple nice bucks... (thank God) they were in the next county over and way out of range. I did however spot a 3x3 and my friends son who was with me at the time placed a good shot which took him to the freezer. Antelope were up the ying-yang and no elk were seen, but fresh tracks in the mud from the previous evening thunder stroms proved they were around. For the next couple of days, my friends showed me a lot of good looking country, , , but not many animals were out and about. Friday mornings hunt just proved there were more antelope than I expected to see and I was back at camp by 1pm to greet my wife, relax and get the game plan for Saturday's hunt.

Saturday we headed back to the canyon close to camp as it held the most deer that I have seen all week and we headed to the draw that the 3x3 was taken a few days earlier. Nothing was there, so we headed to the next area that I saw a couple of bucks head into the begining of the week at first light. They gave me the slip then, but discovered a lot of beds in the area.

When we got there I spoted a few doe's leaving over the ridge and right about the same time I saw it... my wife said it... "The last doe is looking back !!!!! To hunters, thats a tell-tale sign that something is behind them. . . I imediately looked and barely saw a buck bedded in the tall grass high in a small bowl.

I ranged the buck at over 400yrds. With not much cover for me but the wind gusts in my favor, I decided to get closser. The wife stayed at the rig and I took my time in getting about 150yrds closer. NOW.....The waiting game was on.....and on....and on. A smaller buck stood that we didn't see, just to lay right back down. This was around 9/9:30 ------- that dang buck didn't stand until 1:30pm. Patience and a one well placed shot @ 265yrds took him to the freezer.

This has to be the largest body muley that I have ever taken. As a reference to me standing next to the buck... I'm almost 6'3" and about 230lbs Undoubtbly I'm getting older.. but he seemed pretty heavy.

post-19062-0-35980700-1444719303_thumb.jpgpost-19062-0-62374300-1444719611_thumb.jpg

Now that is a lot of lean natural protein ... sounds like it was a great hunt! Congrats on sticking it out and on harvesting the animal! Can't wait to get to Maine and NH next month to do the same with the Whitetails!

Thanks guys!!! I had to laugh at my wife, , , on Tuesday, she got out of the shower saying that her eyebrows still hurt from looking through the binos for so long. She didn't want to miss anything.... and she didn't..... :-)

Hey Mike, Good luck on your Whitetail hunts next month..

Be safe. . .

Hi Dan, I did and saw a lot of beaver dams in the creek and checked out an old mine that had a pretty cool old International dozer as yard art. I ended up going up the canyon 4mi east of the reservoir that I was camped at. I didn't realize how much that fire a few years ago damaged the area. It sure looked different and I was sad to see it burnt down the cowboy bunk house that was here. The deer moved back in there as well as the elk too. My boy got a nice buck with a youth tag left of the bunk house years agoand this time I went straight up past the burnt down bunk house.

Doug

Awesome. Sounds like you had a great time. Too bad it was so hot. Sure makes chasing them critters difficult. We were out and about and it felt more like archery season in august instead of October rifle season. Good job.

Great buck congrats! Gotta love those waiting games, I think time ticks slower during those minutes (or sometimes hours) than any other time. Glad to see you guys were able to connect and sounds like your wife probably had a great show watching it all unfold through the binos. NV is on my bucket list for mule deer, some day!

Thanks Joe.... Time was ticking by very slowly... You'll have to work on checking that off your list.... I saw a couple really big racks, but there was no way I could hike up to them.... They were on top of the highest mtn. really far away and I was already on the closest rd. I had a pack-frame with me, but was by myself and promissed I wouldn't attempt that again. My mind said "you-can-do-it" -- my body said "remember-last-time" None-the-less, I enjoy spotting them and watching them move around.