Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Out of the Ordinary Find

This isn’t exactly a gold story, but it involves a gold mine. So, I am out doing some exploring in the backcountry when I come across this small tunnel hidden back in the brush. It was a gold mine, but not a very large one. I used to go into the old mines, but after coming across rattlers, scorpions, bats and all sorts of other critters I almost always steer clear. This one was hard to resist. I had a flashlight in my pack so I went back in just to have a quick peek. I never find anything in them, but this time was different. I spotted a rectangular object up against the wall. I thought it could be a dynamite box so I threw a rock at hit and I heard the sound of metal. Now I really had to find out. I crawled back in a bit further and I almost had a heart attack right there. It was a metal box and when I moved it, something rattled inside. As I pulled it towards the entrance my imagination raced! I knew this baby was going to be full of gold, guns, or treasure – it just had to! :lol: When I finally got the hinges open I paused for just a moment, then like a Band-Aid I ripped it open!

Well, no gold treasure inside (big surprise there), but it was actually a cool find. It looks like some sort of homemade assay kit. Not extremely old, but not modern by any means. The box itself looks like it could be military, maybe ammo. Anyway, I thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing this, and maybe someone can shed some light on it…Happy hunting everyone!

post-28-0-02856600-1444777730_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-56537600-1444777737_thumb.jpg

And, how far away were you when you threw the rock at the "box of unstable dynamite" ???

I fished out a bandaid can of dynamite caps once with a 6 foot stick.

Nice find !

Hahaha that's funny chris. So I threw a rock at it lol. Cool story and cool find.

Dan

Chris, if that had been dynamite in that box we'd be looking for pieces of you for a month or more. WOW!

Mike

When I pitched the rock I ducked back outside the entrance of the mine before it hit. I guess if it was dynamite it would have probably taken me and the rest of the hillside out anyway! Hey, I'm good at finding gold - I never said I was smart! :P I am going to talk with some of the local museums up here and see if they have any interest in it as a donation.

Smart has nothing to do with it. That's just the kid coming out in us once in a while to keep us on our feet. I bet a museum would love to display that for one of their mining scenes or something.

yup - always knew Chris was missing one of his marbles ... That must be the ONE! Glad it wasn't what you thought ... listen to the angle on the right shoulder rather than the devil on the left next time! :)

Neat find. The last mine tunnel I went inside I found a dead javelina on the floor. Obviously a lion had dragged it in there so I didn't go in any further!

Looking out from inside the mine the ceiling of the tunnel was "domed". It wasn't roughly chiseled out haphazardly. It looked like an expertly made portal. There's been some very old mining in the area so I thought maybe it was a Spanish or Mexican mine.

Sort of a little assay set up - tongs, scorification dishes, crucibles, firebrick. Not everything one would need, but part of it.

Yes, old dynamite becomes much less stable and should be treated as seriously dangerous. Handling it is even worse, as those who have experienced the famous nitro headaches can attest.

Chris R U "CRAZY" Didn't your Mother ever tell you that people that explore dark caves shouldn't throw rocks a wooden or metal boxes???? Brother, You Had My Hart Skipping A Few Beats There. Although I probably would have done the same "CRAZY" thing if presented with the same situation. However Chris - I don't own AZO Prospecting & Supplies and if that metal box went "Klaboom" I really doubt that anybody here would really honestly miss me as much as they would be missing you and your Great Arizona Outback Prospecting & Supply Business. Chris, you have built a very "Solid and Honest" business and your "Reputation" to say the least is "Impeccable" within the Prospecting World. Please my Brother, be more careful in the future when discovering hidden boxes that are lurking inside dark caves and throwing rocks at them. Also, I suspect that your Wife & Daughter will sleep a little better at night knowing that you'll be more cautious in the future. Hey - Sorry About Sounding Like A Parent - But You And I have Been Doing Business For Almost 6-7 Years Now and you have always been my "Number-One Go To Person/Supplier" when it comes to buying and accumulating everything that's related to "PROSPECTING." And still after all these years I have not been able to meet with you "Face to Face" and "Shake The Hand Of The Man" that has been my "Number-One" supporter and supplier of my life's fantastic journey to Discover and Find that once in a lifetime "Gold Nugget." So please Chris, I'm not asking much, just be safe out there so I can one day finally meet you "Face to Face" and "Shake The Hand Of The Man" that has made my Prospection Adventures in the AZO so "Enjoyable" and so "Very,Very Fun." Until That Day My Brother - Stay Safe - And My The Gold Fairies Always Watch Over And Protect In All Of Your Prospecting Adventures.