Chris Gholson

WHAT A FIND!!! Check this out...

Hi All,

Since the Minelab GPZ 7000 has been the hot topic here lately, I figured why not toss a bit more gasoline on the fire! :P A good friend of mine just made one of those discoveries that leaves you shaking your head in awe. I spoke with him and asked if it was okay to share the photos and story here, obviously providing I left off his name and the location. He agreed.

So…he texts me on Monday saying he had “hit it big” with the GPZ. I figured he had picked up a nice nugget and was excited because where he found it had already been detected before – and I mean heavily. I know for sure that the earlier GP Series machines had gone over it numerous times and this guy had covered that same spot with his GPX 4800 and a 24” coil. To make a long story short, he goes right back to this spot and gets a deep sounding target. He digs a little…then a little more. The hole keeps going until it is at least 3+ feet. At this point I imagine he was running on pure adrenaline and with good reason. There waiting for him at the bottom is what I would consider a high-grade pocket! I guess the gold was simply everywhere, and the more he dug, the more it produced! The last time we spoke he estimates that his discovery is not far off of 1-pound!!! :blink::D:lol:

As you can see in the photos below, much of the gold is covered in some sort of ironstone (likely limonite). But once he cleaned it in acid you can see the beautiful butter yellow color beneath. The old-timers always said that these types of pockets came in three’s, so there could be more waiting below, or this could be number 3 and the rest have already eroded away. There’s no way of knowing until he digs out more. I will certainly keep you all posted and share any new photos that he sends my way.

I’m a firm believer in karma, and can say this fellow deserves it. He is one of those guys that is always there if you need a hand and basically willing to give you the shirt off his back. A huge congratulations to this hard working hunter. Way to go bud on what has to be one of the coolest finds of the season so far!

Here is some of the gold he recovered from the pocket. Beautiful stuff! You can see the BEFORE and AFTER cleaning. The hole photo isn’t very exciting, but I think his pick has a 36” handle on it.

post-28-0-85021400-1444952609_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-58883300-1444952617_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-04304000-1444952623_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-34255500-1444952631_thumb.jpg

Well congrats to the finder Chris , this ought to quiet down some of that talk of no big gold being found by the 7000.

Thanks for sharing.

Some sweet looking specimens.

Wahoo....Yahoo!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Good hunting for the other two pockets. From what Chris says it happened to the right guy.

Most of the time being helpful and nice is much better for everyone rather than being challenging.

It happens this way for me here on the beach. I was helping someone the other night find their keys and in the process I found a watch. The night before I help someone else find their keys and find a cell phone and the owner gives me $60 reward.

Both nice gestures of karma.

Thanks for posting Chris.

MAN ... thats very cool! Sure appreciate the finder letting you share the pics and story... Thanks

Congratulations to him! That is what we all hope to find some day! What a find!

Good thing he kept digging!

With my infinite wisdom, I would have walked at 2 feet, thinking darn ground noise!